Can all hard drive base-mp3 players be used as external hard drive?
May 21, 2004 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

NEO

500+ Head-Fier
Can all hard drive base-mp3 players be used as external hard drive? I meant with Window Explorer drag and drop tools? Or will they only communicate through the jukebox software and recognize just the music files? I am asking this since some mp3 player advertise that they can be used as external hard drive, where as others do not say anything about it.

NEO

May 21, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 10
You can use the Karma as one after running a program, Rio Taxi.
The newest firmware update will support usb mass storage support (i.e the karma showing up as a drive when you plug it in) but as of now, it isn't a standalone drive.

May 21, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 10
Rio's taxi software is kinda stupid though... be much better if it had something similar to iPod's external storage area.

Many players can, many can't, though all can be made into external storage devices with the right firmware. Not that many companies even want to think about making new firmware to allow UMS, but it's possible.

May 21, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
only few do, many dont. iriver have it, and pogo, maybe rio karma but can someone confirm it.
ipod and nomad do not.

Yes the iPod does in fact work as a Mass Storage Device.

iRiver models - yes
Rio models - no
Creative models - no (except Muvo2 - yes)
Gateway dmp x20 - yes
Dell DJ - no
Xclef models - yes

May 22, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 10
Can someone clarify more about Rio Karma as the external HD? How convenient or complicate is it with the firmware?

I am surprised and disappointed to know that Dell DJ can not be used as external HD. Due to the fact that Dell is the large computer manufacturer.

May 22, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 10
Rio Taxi is just like Windows Explorer.
You open it, see the Karma, and add/remove whatever files you like.
It's basically MSC support, but you have to install a small program on whatever computers you want to use it with, which is obviously less convenient.

May 22, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #9 of 10
Archos - yes

May 22, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #10 of 10
NEO,

every player *CAN* be used as a data transport.

some require software to be installed on the PC to send data files to it, some don't (called Mass Storage Devices). Either way, you can store data files on them. Using a program is less convenient, but really, it only takes 5 minutes out of your life to install the driver and program on a PC and then you can transfer data files to it easy enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back