Can AGK 702's find a good home?
Jan 22, 2010 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Raptor34

100+ Head-Fier
I've been reading up on the AKG701/702's for quite awhile now and 'feel the need' for some new cans for my listening pleasure. I'm quite happy with my headphone rig now but have a little extra cash to blow and the AKG's are selling quite reasonably this weekend so I must act soon. (a few hours) Are the 702's (the 701's are sold out where I'm shopping) as good as my present stable of cans? I listen to classical mainly (sacd dvd-a) and music the likes of Delerium and Enigma. I've heard some very good things about them and some people here don't think to much of them. Any quick thoughts?
smile_phones.gif

The whites are back in stock so your thoughts on both

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 19
A.K.G.
smily_headphones1.gif
.... not AGK!

Purely in terms of overall performance, K701/2 and your current cans are more of in the same level, but for classical in particular, they will most likely be superior. Apparently they have good synergy with the Micro amp/dac as well. Could be worth looking into.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 19
I've enjoyed my K701 from the second I received them. They are truly great cans, but not for every genre of music. IMO, bass heavy music or heavy rock sounds average on these headphones. That being said, my 701's are currently on my head, and I'm listening to some Phish, and it sounds phenomenal. They excel in vocals, tiny details, and the soundstage is as large as any cans I've ever used.

Unless I'm wrong, the only difference between the 701 and 702 is that the 702's are black with a detachable cord. Other than that, they use the same driver and should sound exactly the same as the 701.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingInABlueDream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless I'm wrong, the only difference between the 701 and 702 is that the 702's are black with a detachable cord. Other than that, they use the same driver and should sound exactly the same as the 701.

And 8 bumps on the headband instead of 7. This eliminates a bump dead center on top of your head, fwiw.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 19
Didn't know that (the change in bumps). I'm surprised so many people have issue with the headband on the 701's. I have a fairly large head and it doesn't bother me one bit. Anyone who has tried my headphone collection ranks the 701's as the most comfortable, but then again, they aren't using them for several hours in a row.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 19
It depends on few things, such as size of the head, shape of the head, and amount of hair. For someone like me who has a larger than average head, egg shaped head (compared to heads with flatter top), and short buzz cut hair, those bumps are torture. Enough for me to have it cut off.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends on few things, such as size of the head, shape of the head, and amount of hair. For someone like me who has a larger than average head, egg shaped head (compared to heads with flatter top), and short buzz cut hair, those bumps are torture. Enough for me to have it cut off.
evil_smiley.gif

I have pretty thick hair and I find the bumps on the 702 to be torture too. They feel great for the first 10-20 min. but then you start to get this pain from the bumps. I have found that the pain is getting less and less so either my head is getting numb to it or the bumps are getting softer.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Times up!
wink_face.gif
Just ordered a pair of 702's. Thanks for all your input
bigsmile_face.gif

Very good choice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Happy listening!!
k701smile.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #13 of 19
I think they'll do well for you and your type of listening. Enjoy!

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have pretty thick hair and I find the bumps on the 702 to be torture too. They feel great for the first 10-20 min. but then you start to get this pain from the bumps. I have found that the pain is getting less and less so either my head is getting numb to it or the bumps are getting softer.

i also find them uncomfortable - what the point of the bumps, they could have just had a flat piece of leather like other manufacturers' headphone bands

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i also find them uncomfortable - what the point of the bumps, they could have just had a flat piece of leather like other manufacturers' headphone bands

They obviously are reproducing the dog-collar look:

SpikeLeatherCollar.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back