Can a typical receiver headphone section blow headphones?
Jul 26, 2013 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ms30

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

New here, I have these Sennheiser HD555s, I don’t use them a whole lot but more recently I noticed a little crackling which I don’t recall them making when I bought them. It’s not terrible, but I’m wondering if they were damaged by being over driven.

See a while back my wife was complaining about low volume on our home theater even with it cranked. Well I went to check it out and well guess what she was listening to??? Not our speakers but my freaking headphones that I had left plugged into the AVR. I’ve no idea how long they’d be played like this, but I could hear the program she was watching ten feet away…I cannot face palm hard enough over this…errrrgh. How one does not distinguish between a 650w 5.1 setup or a pair of headphones right away is beyond me the lack of bass should have been a dead giveaway.

Anyway sorry, had to vent, I suppose these things are jacked or will be in short order? Sucks cuz I kind of liked them; real neutral sounding. Any ideas?

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 4
Yes.

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
 New here, I have these Sennheiser HD555s, I don’t use them a whole lot but more recently I noticed a little crackling which I don’t recall them making when I bought them. It’s not terrible, but I’m wondering if they were damaged by being over driven.
See a while back my wife was complaining about low volume on our home theater even with it cranked. Well I went to check it out and well guess what she was listening to??? Not our speakers but my freaking headphones that I had left plugged into the AVR. I’ve no idea how long they’d be played like this, but I could hear the program she was watching ten feet away…I cannot face palm hard enough over this…errrrgh. How one does not distinguish between a 650w 5.1 setup or a pair of headphones right away is beyond me the lack of bass should have been a dead giveaway.
Anyway sorry, had to vent, I suppose these things are jacked or will be in short order? Sucks cuz I kind of liked them; real neutral sounding. Any ideas?

For a replacement headphone, sometimes you can find used HD558s for just over $100, on Amazon and eBay.

Aug 3, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the advice, I'll give a look. The 555s I've had for many years but I usually am an IEM guy so the full size stuff I'm not really up to date on. These were really just for late night gaming or movies so as not to disturb a sleeping wife. Sure do miss the old UE before the Logitec buyout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back