Can a Tube Headphone Amp also be used to power speakers ?
Apr 26, 2014 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

shampoo

New Head-Fier
Hi

I'm looking to get started with a set of headphones and a tube amp. I haven't quite decided but I'm looking at either a Woo or a Musical Paradise.. 

My usage is basically while I am working on my computer. There are times though where I'd like to hook these up to some small studio monitors like an AudioEngine P4 for instance. Is this possible ? Or are there amps that can handle both of these ? I'm not looking for crazy volume, just enough to work from a foot or two away.

Thanks!

J

Apr 26, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 6
Musical Paradise says there MP-301 can. I don't know what kind of volume you would get out of it, and you would definitely would want high sensitivity speakers.

Why not get some good powered studio monitors? You could get some JBL LSR305s for about the same price as the P4s.

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 6
I imagine it could, although you're looking at very low volumes and theres also the impedance matching that comes into play.

if you're just looking for an affordable way to branch out and use speakers, T-amps are I think the way to go for this kind of thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-1-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B001PNOH2I/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=182SAPW4V66PR3FP2B5A

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the replies so far. I appreciate it.

To pin down my requirement a little better, what I am looking to do really is be able to easily switch from headphones to speakers without having to unplug cables.

I noticed for instance that the Schiit Asgard 2 has a preamp out. I imagine I could plug that into say a set of Audioengine P5's ?

In regards to the WooAudio Firefly, I see there's an output on that. I assume then I can do the same, that is run a cable into the AudioEngine's and therefore wouldn't need a DAC ?

Thanks again

J

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 6
You could always get a small, cheap power amplifier. Many tube headphone amps have a preamp RCA output pair.

Apr 26, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 6
I have the Asgard 2. Great sounding amp for the money :)

I understand what you mean. That's why I have the Asgard 2 (see my sig). You can use the pre-amp outs to either (a) connect to powered monitors or (b) to a speaker amp that then connects to passive speakers.

I don't know about the Woo audio headphone amp. Some headphone amps only have a line out, not a pre-amp out, which means the output is not controlled by the volume knob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back