Can a TDR measure headphones impedance?
Dec 27, 2012 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

morto00x

New Head-Fier
First post in Head-fi (been lurking for about a year). I've been wondering if a time-domain reflectometer (TDR) be used to measure the impedance of headphones. I know it is used to measure the characteristic impedance of cables, PCB traces and connectors.

I have no need to measure the impedance of headphones right now, but I'd like to know if that would count as a valid testing method (I'm an EE and I've been getting really interested in audio lately, mostly because of this forum).

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 6
I've never used a TDR before, but is the resolution suitable?  If you're sending an impulse or pulse through the headphones and looking at what comes back, considering quantization... don't see how you're going to extract impedance in 20-20 kHz range easily from that.  You're mostly just going to see the effect of the impedance at frequencies way above audio from the inductance of the voice coil, right?  Or?  Urgh, I forgot all sorts of things about transmission lines.

I take it you don't want to do some "boring" test tone through headphones in series of resistor and probing for voltages?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back