Can a reciever power headphones that require an amp?
Jul 7, 2007 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

SpacemanSpiff23

100+ Head-Fier
If I buy a set of cans that require an amp (say, some DT990s for example), can I plug them into my home theater reciever instead of an amp? Or will I still need an amp inbetween the reciever and the haedphones?

Jul 7, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 13
Sure they can power them--what receiver do you have?

That's a good place to start. Figure out if you can hear any discrepancies in the receiver's headphone circuit vs. the speakers. Then borrow a headphone amp or go to a local meet and listen to what dedicated headphone amps provide in the way of separation and clarity.

I believe the headphone jacks are an afterthought on receivers; they are engineered to make the speakers sound good. If you have a good frame of reference with the receiver it helps justify the costs later on.

Jul 7, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 13
I have an Onkyo reciever.

Jul 7, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 13
That should work out fine. Listen to your headphones, pick out some favorite CDs that show clear differences between the headphones and speakers. Listen to the headphones a lot, get to know them, then take those CDs/headphones to a meet to try the same vs. different amps (try SS and tubes). That will give you a feel for the headphone amp's value.

Jul 7, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 13
Wait, wait. A reciever can power headphones...if it has a headphone amp. Reciever headphone amps usually aren't very good, but they are cut above the amps in DAPs or PCDPs. Please dont try to hook up you headphones to the speaker bindings of your reciever. Electrical Impedance and power handling for speakers and headphones are totally different, and you will blow your drivers if you try that. Maybe I'm an idiot and this was implied, but I thought it needed to be said
eggosmile.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, wait. A reciever can power headphones...if it has a headphone amp. Reciever headphone amps usually aren't very good, but they are cut above the amps in DAPs or PCDPs.

Good point, I assume all commercial receivers have a headphone jack on them. Do you know of any that do not? Even my HS Technics back in 74 had one...

Jul 7, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 13
I agree with the earlier assessment that the headphone out on many modern models is no better than an afterthought. The digital surround amps will probably use an entirely different circuit/amp for the headphone out, which may be based on cheap opamps. Noise and sheer peak-to-peak output may be a problem for this kind of design for really difficult to drive designs, but there really is no way to know without trying them out.

That having been said, some have perfectly acceptable headphone jacks. I think the output from my Denon 1905 is fine, but it isn't in the same class as the headphone jack on a dedicated Harman Kardon AP2500 preamp (which is excellent). If you are unsatisfied with your Onkyo, you might snoop around Ebay for some well-reviewed vintage receivers (search around head-fi for recommendations) or preamp separates.

Jul 7, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to own an Onkyo 602 the noise level out of the headphone jack was very annoying. The Yamaha, Marantz, Panasonic, and Arcam that I've tried headphones out of were much better in that regard.

In defense of Onkyo; we still have a 602, and Ive used it with MS-1, MS2i and HD600 and am satisfied with the way it drives the phones. No problem with any noise level at all and the sound is a bit more than just acceptable. So it's cool.

The unit I'm currently using as my main headphone amp is an older 494 and it's doing an equally good job of driving both high and low impedance phones. I certainly wouldn't consider either of them ideal amps though, but they're working more than well enough till I determine exactly what I'll be getting for the cans.

And I don't even feel rushed!

Jul 7, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverTrumpet999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That having been said, some have perfectly acceptable headphone jacks. I think the output from my Denon 1905 is fine, but it isn't in the same class as the headphone jack on a dedicated Harman Kardon AP2500 preamp (which is excellent). If you are unsatisfied with your Onkyo, you might snoop around Ebay for some well-reviewed vintage receivers (search around head-fi for recommendations) or preamp separates.

That's a good idea too. It may have unintended consequences with his speakers--may have better sound, may sound worse. The listener should get to know what they have (if not done already) before chasing this expensive hobby and its upgrade-itis.
wink.gif

I took the approach that I like the speaker sound and don't want to break it, so the headphones will be a completely separate environment.

Jul 7, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #11 of 13
Thanks for all the responses. I was just worried that I was going to have to buy an amp just to hear my headphones.

And yes, I will be plugging them into the headphone jack, not the speaker outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back