Can a receiver be considered an amp??
Mar 5, 2010 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MannyWins

New Head-Fier
On my desktop area i have an old Sony receiver that i use to power my computer speakers.. I usually use headphones when im listening to music while im on the PC and I hook them up to the receiver..

My question is i want to invest in some nice headphones for my little area.. i use the Astro A40's for gaming only and dont really want to use them for music.. now if i get a good pair of headphones and connect them to the receiver is that considered "amplifying" them?? i use winamp to listen to music..

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 2
Yes, just not as good as a dedicated single purpose unit. Some receivers (the old ones ) have good to great head amps built into them but some have really lousy ones. Modern receivers are not very good headphone amps by and large. Most consumer level electronics (like the stuff at best Buy etc) is really inadequate (IMO of course) in all aspects (DAC, amps, etc) so read this forum carefully. There are lots of useful stickies in every component category that provide a wealth of info to get you started in the right direction and there is loads of gear of all price points to choose from these days. You have come to right place to spend some money that's for sure. I suggest you do some serious reading and keep asking specific questions after you've got a good handle on the basics.

The only way to know if the SONY has what it takes is to borrow a set of decent cans and give it a try. If it's good enough for your ears then great, you are done looking for an amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back