Can a PSU with 1500mA hurt my amp?
Dec 31, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Thanks all!
I've tried both shortly after Pinky said that my amp wouldn't die on me and it didn't!
smily_headphones1.gif

I think they both aren't linear regulated though. I got the idea that the voltage of the 1000mA is higher than the other one because the LED was a bit brighter. And the 1500mA says switching mode.
From my brief listening both of them didn't give any nasty side effects. No obvious humms or hissses.

I think I'll ask Norm if switching modes PSUs can harm the amp before I start using one of them regularly.

Switching power supplies get a bad rap because they have bad noise specs, but the noise usually isn't at audible frequencies. Besides, most opamps used in amps have very good noise rejection capabilities.

I'd suggest listening to both power supplies and using whichever sounds better to you, the one with the higher voltage may be better for the opa637 but if the lower voltage one is quieter it may actually sound better.

Dec 31, 2004 at 5:43 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
confused.gif

Do you mean unregulated or all sorts of PSUs? Because the 24V Mascot works fine.

Well Norm offers a 24v supply on the Headsave site so i'm thinking it must be ok...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 11:56 AM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
Well Norm offers a 24v supply on the Headsave site so i'm thinking it must be ok...
smily_headphones1.gif

Norm recommended the Mascot to me so I know it's OK.
smily_headphones1.gif

Earwax, thanks for explaining thing so clearly as you do in all your posts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back