Can a powered 2.1 PC speaker system function as an amp?
Oct 22, 2007 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TM2 Rampage

New Head-Fier
Well, I have this Creative I-spire 2.1 speaker setup... well, everything pretty much plugs into the subwoofer. The AC adapter, the 2 speakers, and this "remote" that is connected to the subwoofer via a cord. With this remote, you can adjust the volume and bass, and there's a headphone out port on it.

Does plugging your headphones into this port make any difference as opposed to just directly plugging it into the line-out on the computer's sound card?

Oct 22, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by TM2 Rampage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have this Creative I-spire 2.1 speaker setup... well, everything pretty much plugs into the subwoofer. The AC adapter, the 2 speakers, and this "remote" that is connected to the subwoofer via a cord. With this remote, you can adjust the volume and bass, and there's a headphone out port on it.

Does plugging your headphones into this port make any difference as opposed to just directly plugging it into the line-out on the computer's sound card?

Some sound cards are designed so they can power 32-Ohm headphones at their line-out jack, while others are absolutely not meant to be anything but a line-out. The best solution is to try both and use whichever sounds best to you with your headphones.

Oct 22, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 4
I'm using Creative Megaworks 5.1 (cambridge audio) and Audigy 2 ZS.
When I plug my headphones to the remote (it does have headphone input), the sound is very muddy, although it has Bass/Treble/Volume customization, compared to straight input to my Audigy 2 ZS, I prefer directly connect to soundcard, the sound much better.

Oct 22, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 4
The H/K "multi-media speaker system" (oddly, there's no model number on them) has a headphone output (that mutes the speakers when used) that is loud enough, but I can't say if it's any good, as I'm just listening to 128kbps streaming audio.
Generally, if an amp can drive speakers, it can drive headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back