Can a Powerbook send an spdif signal via usb?
Jan 26, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 7
The Powerbook G4s before October 2005 do not have the combined analog/digital I/O.

Check using your System Profiler (e.g. Click the Apple on the menu bar, About This Mac, then More Info...

Under Hardware, look at Audio (Built In). If there's S/P-DIF, it'll be listed there.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElEsido /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible for a Powerbook (OS X) to send an SPDIF signal out through a USB port in order to have an external DAC convert it?

No and yes.

No it will not be SPDIF but if it has a USB port and you have a suitable music player that can interact with a USB DAC you can send digital audio out via the USB port to a USB DAC, the data will just be packaged differently.

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by trickywombat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Powerbook G4s before October 2005 do not have the combined analog/digital I/O.

Check using your System Profiler (e.g. Click the Apple on the menu bar, About This Mac, then More Info...

Under Hardware, look at Audio (Built In). If there's S/P-DIF, it'll be listed there.

Yes, the latest G4 Powerbook and aparently the Intel MBs have an optical spdif combined in the analog audio plug. Mine doensn't, that's why I thought I might be able to hack something to send an spdif-signal over usb.

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No and yes.

No it will not be SPDIF but if it has a USB port and you have a suitable music player that can interact with a USB DAC you can send digital audio out via the USB port to a USB DAC, the data will just be packaged differently.

Thanks! I didn't think that it was as easy as connecting the external DAC to USB and voilà.

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 7
No! Cause USB don't use S/PDIF (afaik)...
For S/PDIF you need either optical or coaxial output/input.

Jan 28, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 7
Either use an USB DAC, or a normal DAC with an USB to SPDIF converter, like the hagUSB.
If you have firewire (probably yes), the Apogee Duet is an awesome device
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back