Can a PIMETA go into a zipo tin
Apr 26, 2005 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Fresno Bob

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone built a PIMETA to fit in an altoids or zipo tin? or are these amps built for hammond style cases only. also what would have to be done to get it to fit in a zipo tin. i would take it that most if not all the caps and res would have to be smd based to do it.

Apr 26, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 13
off hand I am fairly sure that Tangent's board wouldn't fit in a mint tin, let alone the battery. I have, however, seen PIMETA clones in mint tins. It is very possible with some ingenuity.

Apr 26, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresno Bob
altoids

No. The dimensions of the PCB are on the PIMETA page.

Quote:

zipo tin?

I don't know. Get its dimensions, and you'll be able to answer tha question yourself.

Quote:

are these amps built for hammond style cases only

If anything, the PIMETA is designed for the Serpac H-65 and -67. But it'll fit into anything larger than the 65.

Apr 26, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 13
Just wondered if it could be done. i have seen your setup Tang and it will not fit in a tin. what i wonder was if someone could say make this amp modular using smd's for most if not all the parts, and maybe use a light weight pot.anyway just a thought.

Apr 26, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresno Bob
what i wonder was if someone could say make this amp modular using smd's for most if not all the parts

In that case, sure, it can be done. But then it's not a PIMETA any more. That's the name of a circuit board, not a circuit.

Apr 26, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 13
ok well i see now i had it wrong i thought the board and amp were one in the same. in any case oneday i would like to try to build one of these. i guess someone will beat me to the moudular version of this. thanks again for the insite.

Apr 26, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 13
Fresno Bob,
I’ve seen your posts on here and SGheadphones regarding Zippo Tin amps, I think you should first cut your teeth building a basic cmoy from Tangents excellent guide, then think about smd work further down the line.

I think if you look back someone offered to help you with a PCB for a cmoy.

Apr 26, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 13
Before you go cutting my post down. i just wanted to know if could be done. since you seem to take issue with my posts i will not ask anything else.
sorry im not a great amp builder like you.

Apr 26, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 13
There was no intension in "cutting your post down"

We are all here to help, and encourage. I have certainly gained knowledge from this forum.
Stick to building a Cmoy for the moment, its well worth it for the satisfaction and enjoyment you will get.

Apr 26, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 13
Someone here managed to cram one in a tin. It's not an Altoids tin but it is a tin. It looks like a very basic Pimeta with no frills.

EDIT: A Cmoy is a great first build. I made two of them. I'm working on my PIMETA as we speak. I also boght a MINT board from Tangent. This site is soooo addictive.

Apr 27, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #11 of 13
I once built a minimalist Pimeta clone and stuffed it into an Altoid tin but I gave up the idea after I finished it. In order to fit, I had to reduce the caps especially. The point of the Pimeta is to get better sound, compromising that so that it fits into a small tin makes no sense to me now.

So it is possible and if you are really good at doing your own PCB and use surface mount chips, sure, it can be done. Go ahead and try it!

Apr 27, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heady
The point of the Pimeta is to get better sound, compromising that so that it fits into a small tin makes no sense to me now.

The "MINT" makes these compromises, including SMD, and can be biased to class a. Maybe this is the best choice for Bob. It fits into a mint tin with 2 9V batteries, and sounds great at 18V.

The SMD soldering isn't for beginners though.

Apr 27, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by headchange4u
Someone here managed to cram one in a tin. It's not an Altoids tin but it is a tin. It looks like a very basic Pimeta with no frills.

That Tin is a good 1 inch wider than an altoids tin. Plus it looks as if he cut the board a little to get to fit.

For a pimeta and 2 9 volt batts you need at least 5 - 5.5 inches of length One 9 volt would be 4 - 4.5 inches

Users who are viewing this thread

Back