Can a MINT drive an AKG K240S (55 Ohm) well?
Dec 21, 2004 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Frank M

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I've been thinking of getting a K 240 S - I've seen a used one around for a decent price (I think €72/$95 is OK for it...), but some said that they don't recommend it without proper amplifying. Can the MINT running at 18 volts accomplish this?
Also, feel free to recommend other phones, as well - what I am looking for is a fairly flat response with a strong, tight bass down to 30 Hz; a detailed, lively midrange and smoother, not harsh highs. Oh and please keep it under €75 / $100
wink.gif

Thanks!

Dec 21, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank M
Ok.
Just out of curiosity, could a MINT drive the 600 Ohm version, or is it too much for it?

The gain will need to be set appropriately for the 600 ohm version. The gain for 55ohm headphones would usually be pretty low. For 600ohm headphones it will be pretty high. Gain is easy to set when building the Mint. Just change 2 or 4 resistors depending on what you want.

Dec 21, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
The gain will need to be set appropriately for the 600 ohm version. The gain for 55ohm headphones would usually be pretty low. For 600ohm headphones it will be pretty high. Gain is easy to set when building the Mint. Just change 2 or 4 resistors depending on what you want.

Ahh-huh! Thanks!
Ay ideas how high I should set the gain? And what battery life is expected at that gain (close to zero, I guess
blink.gif
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back