Can a Melos amp drive K1000s?
Jan 4, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 4
I have done it. Its been a while since I listened to the K1000 though. I didnt think it was particularly lacking, but have run K1000 off of all sorts of stuff.

The "power amps only" argument is kind of vague. People have run efficient speakers off of melos headphone amps, so I dont know where that puts the melos. They (the K1000) do certainly benefit from having power on tap to drive them though.

The strength of the K1000 has always been in how it throws a soundstage, which they do with just about everything by their nature. My experience with the differences in amps on the K1000 come in treble extension and whether you get pinpoint sound localization or a more diffuse blob of sound.

My craziest K1000 moment was seeing hydrocity (banned) run his K1000 off of a morgan jones clone 708b (earmax type amp) I built. I dont remember if I listened to them that way, but I was afraid for my little amp. No damage to report so I guess it was worth the shot. here is the thread from the mini-meet
link

Jan 4, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 4
Any amp can drive K1000, but the thing is, what would you get from it. Think simply, they been designed to be driven by speaker amp, so, drive them with it and no else. I tried them from out of Yoshino EAR HP4 and some other single ended ones and not of them could do a job.

Jan 4, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 4
I thought my PinkFloyd modded Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 which puts out 1 wpc could drive the K1000. Well it did and I thought the sound was quite good, however when I started using a Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 power amp I realized how much better the K1000 sounded.

So the answer is that some headphone amps may be able to drive them, but it may not be to their fullest. BTW, there are some Signature 30 in Audiogon for under $900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back