Can a headphone amp be used with a Dj mixer?
Feb 27, 2012 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

s2kfred

New Head-Fier
Ok let me give you a little background rundown of what i am trying to accomplish. I started using shure 535 iems to dj and was quickly amazed as to how good they sounded. so then i started reading about the westone 4's and decided i wanted to give them a try. after trying them out on just my iMac and iPhone i quickly noticed i needed to turn the volume up higher on the w4's. Then i started reading i need to run an amp to really get good sound out of them. Now while the w4's sound really good to me while listening to them normal when i try to use they on my dj mixer which is a pioneer djm 900 nexus they don't do as well as the se535's. I have to crank the w4's up more and in turn when I'm trying to match two tracks up they start having issues that the se535 don't have. they start sounding muddy like distorting sort of. would a headphone amp help in my situation would i be able to just run it from my headphone out of my mixer into the portable amp then to my iems? 

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
.... would a headphone amp help in my situation would i be able to just run it from my headphone out of my mixer into the portable amp then to my iems? 

Yes.  Many portable amps come with a mini-to-mini interconnect (although you may want/need a longer one than the typical 2-4 inches), and you can do just what you asked. 

You might get a better, cleaner signal if you use the Master 2 or REC out RCA jacks -- you'd need an RCA L/R-to-3.5mm (mini) cable to input to the headphone amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back