Can a 'DAP' damage headphones?
Nov 23, 2018 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

funnyjoke

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. I recently got the Shanling M0 'DAP' along with a pair of Brainwavz B400 in-ears. I have been using the B400s with the M0 ever since I got them both, but right from the start, ever since I started listening to music with them (even the first 20 minutes), the B400s have been letting out a 'burning' smell from the shells, through the open nozzles. My question is, could a 'DAP' cause any pair of headphones like these to do this? I mean, could the Shanling M0 be the reason I'm experiencing the burning smell? Also, should I be alarmed because of this and should I stop using the B400s with the Shanling M0 DAP at all? I don't want them to stop working eventually, and I think the burning smell is a stage of that.

So guys, is it that DAPs with their modified sound can damage headphones or are my headphones just truly faulty?

Nov 26, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 5
This is the first time I heard this issue. I don't think a DAP can fry your IEM. Could be the circuitry in the IEM is faulty which caused short circuit.

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 5
Hi @funnyjoke,

Agree with @yong_shun,

Unlikely M0 especially, given its low voltage can fry an IEM the way you describe, more than likely it is a short circuit in the B 400, I would suggest contacting brainwazv for support & asking for a replacement.

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 5
Hi there funnyjoke,
I remember seeing you post about this in the B400 thread. It seemed like you were getting a bit of the run around from the Brainwavz rep, which is discouraging. Maybe I'm misremembering that part, though.

The first thing you should do is eliminate the uncertainty that it's the DAP and not the earphones. All you need to do is plug the headphones into another source-- your phone, your PC, an A/V receiver-- to see if you can replicate the problem. If the problem persists with another source, then you know it's the earphones. If it doesn't persist, then it's more likely (though not necessarily) the DAP.

If Brainwavz's customer support seem like they're not on your side, you should demand a refund and buy something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back