Can a Computer Virus/Trojan Infect Cell Phone?
Jun 29, 2011 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
Yesterday while checking my yahoo mail I foolishly opened an email disguised as USPS parcel delivery notice. It has 2 attacthments, first was a jpg and second one was .bat
I downloaded the jpg one and its just a 5kb picc of USPS logo. Then when I was about to download the bat file, I just realised that it's not a real email from USPS. I think I didnt open or run the .bat file, but let's say that if I did, would it work on my phone? Its a nokia and Im running opera mobile.
Im just worried about key logger trojan on my phone taking all my details. Do you think it's possible? Thanks

Jun 29, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 14
No. Unless you transfer the document to a pc. Opera mobile cannot run an executable file or any type of window's file.

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 14
Which OS your mobile have? 

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
Doesn't really matter what mobile OS he has. A batch file (.bat) cannot be executed on any of the mobile OS's today. Nor would its commands work with its file structure and non-X86 architecture most likely.

Good to know. Thanks.  

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
But... but.. smartphones are computers. :)

Good point. 
tongue.gif

Jul 4, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #12 of 14
Yep. Those are all computers as long as they have a processor, a basic IO system, and storage, which those all do. Your logic doesn't work because the people who would write computer virus's don't target every device and viruses aren't natural to computers. I've made simple programs and scripts for every device above that you mentioned except the clock and car radio, so it could easily be done these days with those devices with all the exploits and programming framework out there and well documented. Batch scripting itself is highly limited to PCs because they come with the scripting engine built in for batch scripts. Mobile OS's don't, they also don't use x86 coding. Programs are not universal to all computers or operating systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back