Can a cheap tube preamp damage a THX AAA 789 amp?
Jun 9, 2020 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Jurgen83

New Head-Fier
Could I damage my THX AAA 789 adding this FX-AUDIO tube 03 preamp?
I’ve read somewhere that the amp is designed to take only 2V through the RCA inputs. Is this correct?
Will this preamp provide more than that? Could that damage it in the short or long term? I saw this spec in the product description: “RCA RMS Level: 2Vrms”

Thanks

PS: I know it’s not a full tube amp, but could be a cheap way to try tubes while using the amp I already have.

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 3
Will it damage it I don’t think so but will not give you a cheap way to try tubes either . A preamp like that is meant to be used with a power amp that has no volume control. Will it work sure but not for sure you will get the tube sound from it like a tube amp will even a hybrid.

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 3
Will it damage it I don’t think so but will not give you a cheap way to try tubes either . A preamp like that is meant to be used with a power amp that has no volume control. Will it work sure but not for sure you will get the tube sound from it like a tube amp will even a hybrid.

I read in the forums that it doesn't even compare to a full tube amp, but... Will it add something of the tube sound, at least a little bit? Some people even recommend doing this for the price to add some tube sound. Could it be a placebo effect?

Off topic: Do you think a Cavalli Tube Hybrid is tuby enough to add as stack over the THX AAA 789 or there isn't a big difference to justify the price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back