Can 1 amp do justice to a range of impedances?
Jun 18, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #16 of 22
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...8&pagenumber=2

Super portable: a small META42 to fit in HeadRoom iPod bag
Portable: a larger META42 to fit in HeadRoom Traveler bag
Travel: the one I have already, but I'm going to upgrade it even further,
biggrin.gif

The Airhead is indeed a headphone amp by the way.

Jun 18, 2002 at 1:54 AM Post #17 of 22
AM,

If you want the most consistent performance from any dynamic headphone (electrostats are a special case) you use, and for the headphone amp to have the least effect, get a headphone amp with very low output impedance (as close to zero as possible), and enough current drive to deal with such headphones. If you are interested, I explained the technical reasons for this in another thread:

Thread on effects of headphone amp impedances

This basically means solid-state amps. HeadRoom amps are fine examples of such amps.

Of course, you should get what sounds good to you, and if that's something that has a euphonic interaction with the headphones you're using, and you like it, it's OK. That's why it's important for you to listen to the amp/headphone combo you're interested in for yourself rather than relying upon our subjective impressions only.

--Andre

Jun 18, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #18 of 22
Didn't hear your Meta42, Audio&, alas at the Boston show, but wish I had. Actually, I'd love to hear more about your meta scheming. What's the plan? Seriously, why 3, and what will you do differently in each?

Jun 18, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Super portable: a small META42 to fit in HeadRoom iPod bag
Portable: a larger META42 to fit in HeadRoom Traveler bag
Travel: the one I have already, but I'm going to upgrade it even further,
biggrin.gif

The Airhead is indeed a headphone amp by the way.

Argh. Tried to fix the typo as it was sending and double posted the message. Sorry. That should have said AND through an Airhead. I'm new, but I was aware that I had an amp in my hand.
rolleyes.gif
Created a minor stir at the office today as a few folk gathered around to A/B the new 600s against a colleague's 580s, with and without the AH, with and without xfeed. Surprisingly, or not surprisingly here I guess, people who you wouldn't call headphone geeks were getting excited and reaching for adjectives to try to compare the differences.

Well, it'll be interesting to see how many compromises you have to introduce at 3 form factors. Do keep us posted...

Andre...great scientific background thread, thanks for the link ...

AM

Jun 21, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #20 of 22
Before you invest in a HOME type amplifier, get some aftermarket cables for your HD600's, like the Cardas or Clou. Sound is really changed by these cables. If I did not have my Clous, I would have dumped the HD600's.

"Amps" means nothing, really.

There is impedence matching for power transfer. This is not often a problem, but it's there. The HD600's big sore thumb is the BIG impedence hump at about 100hz. THAT is a big problem.
Even high impendance out amps have a problem unless the have the POWER (amps and voltage) to drive that hump. So PIEZ.
Power. I-current. E-voltage. Z-impedence. An amp needs good drive for the HD600's. That is why Headroom made a 9v Airhead, to give that extra umppph.

I kept my HD600's because 1) Clou's 2) MG Head OTL.
Is the total cost worth it? Only if you have money to throw away. There are much cheaper combinations that sound just as good.

HD600 --- $300
Clou ------ $100
MG Head - $330
TOTAL----- About $860 with shipping.

Worth it? Now that I have it? NO.

Too much for what it is. If HD600 had bass punch, YES.
But it don't. So, for poor people, buy Big Macs instead.

Jun 21, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #21 of 22
I'll get there with the cable, and I can see that it could transform things...

I've been flipping the 600s through my various sources and through discs in my collection, and have found some CDs where they do seem to be challenged by either the source weakness or by demand for power or perhaps both. Elvis Costello's King of America produced a pretty weak showing unamp'd from my home CD player for example, murky and unappealing. Many others have fared better, I would add.

Hey. Perhaps I have some kind of subjective preference for less punch in the bass, because despite the challenges the phones present to my gear, I'm pretty happy with the bass response so far. At the headroom show I also was drawn to the sound of the Beyer DT931's, which were flagged as better for classical than rock. I thought they sounded great in comparison to phones flagged as punchier bass performers, including the 831, and the 3-digit Grados nearby. They struck me as quite elegant even when somebody put on a Fleetwood Mac disk through them.

Maybe no toy this exotic is really worth it..but hey, some folks need the fries with their burgers, others buy the happy meal just for the toy...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2002 at 4:40 PM Post #22 of 22
They won't give me a Happy Meal!!!!! I have gray hair!!!!
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back