Can’t reach search function
Jan 28, 2005 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Kurt

1000+ Head-Fier
Since the board software update the flip open search tab is covered by the google ads after clicking. Can anyone help?

TIA

Jan 28, 2005 at 12:21 PM Post #2 of 15
Which browser are you using? I noticed the same problem using Opera and contacted Jude. It seems to work fine with FF and IE and so we're out of luck. Jude suggested I'd make a bookmark to the real search page and use it.

Jan 28, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 15
I don't understand this, I'm not seeing any google ads? I use an ad blocker, but it doesn't block google ads - only banners and popups.

Jan 28, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rauer
Which browser are you using? I noticed the same problem using Opera and contacted Jude. It seems to work fine with FF and IE and so we're out of luck. Jude suggested I'd make a bookmark to the real search page and use it.

I’m using Opera too. But this problem is new and not the browsers fault. It should be taken care of.
However, thanks for the tip, set a bookmark.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelfly
I don't understand this, I'm not seeing any google ads? I use an ad blocker, but it doesn't block google ads - only banners and popups.

Take a look:
NewSearchFunction.JPG

Jan 28, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas
Open the search link in a new window and you should be set.

- And by window, I meant tab.

That does not work bec. everything that happen when you click the search button is that the “search forums” tab flips open.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Go to http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/search.php? for a temporary solution until the forum template is fixed.

Thanks, I did that and bookmarked the site.

Are there any plans to fix this error?

TIA

Jan 28, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
....Are there any plans to fix this error?

If I can find the time this weekend, I'm going to play with a couple of different layouts that may or may not fix that.

Regarding the error: From what I can tell, it's only affecting Opera users, which is a relatively tiny fraction of our total audience. I'll play with different settings, but I can't promise that any fixes will (a) work, or (b) be permanent. Make sure to send a message to Opera technical support, as, if I'm not mistaken, it's the only big browser that has this problem. Some time this weekend, I'll try it on a Mac (using both Safari and Firefox) to see how it does with those (if any Mac user can confirm how it does with those browsers before I get a chance to, I'd appreciate finding out what you see).

Jan 28, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
That does not work bec. everything that happen when you click the search button is that the “search forums” tab flips open.
TIA

Try right-clicking, then picking 'open in new page' (or backround page). Ctrl+click used to be the shortcut for this function in Opera 6, why they removed it from the 8 beta I've no idea.

Jan 29, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
If I can find the time this weekend, I'm going to play with a couple of different layouts that may or may not fix that.

Thanks. =o)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
From what I can tell, it's only affecting Opera users, which is a relatively tiny fraction of our total audience

The default browser identification in Opera is set to “Identify as MSIE”. That’s why they seem so few. In reality there are far more people using Opera. Soon we will take over.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas
Try right-clicking, then picking 'open in new page' (or backround page). Ctrl+click used to be the shortcut for this function in Opera 6, why they removed it from the 8 beta I've no idea.

I use 7.54u1 and normally Shift and left click has the same function. Here it does not work. Just on the rest of the site. However after your post I tried it with the right click and open in new page and that worked. Thanks.

Jan 29, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #11 of 15
Jude, I'm not sure if this is a related problem but since this morning (GMT +2 zone) nearly every time I open a new HF page, Opera asks me if I want to open, save or ignore the file "adsense_alternate_ad.html".

Funny, I always thought that Opera is more "by the book" than browsers like IE and it just keeps getting problems.

Jan 29, 2005 at 9:49 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
That is weird.

I don't have that problem with either IE or Firefox.

However, I can't access www.head-fi.org (the root page) at all with either IE or Firefox.

At least my bookmarked link to the forums works fine. (obviously)

-Ed

Ditto. I can access the forums, but not the main page. It thinks for a second, then farts and says "Done" without having done anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back