Campfire Supermoon CIEM modded!
Sep 27, 2023 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ShaolinGrump

100+ Head-Fier
I got a pair of Campfire CIEM Supermoon from @GiullianSN. They were factory built in Portland for his ear canal.

I was too optimistic. They didn’t fit my ears well at all. Outer ear fit is okay but not snug. Ear canal fit was subpar: no seal. Insertion depth seems okay.

Campfire won’t reshell their CIEM. Itsfitlab.com website is down, last I checked.

What to do?! How do you make custom ultrawide bore eartips? No idea.

The solution: be careful and a little stupid. Carve away enough of the nozzle with jeweler’s files to allow eartips. Bingo, bongo, BOOM!

CFA level bass response achieved in a couple hours or less, with planning, prep and execution.

Listening now for 30min. Very impressive. I can hardly believe I pulled off this modification.

IMG_7137.jpeg
IMG_7129.jpeg
IMG_7133.jpeg
IMG_7140.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 4
I got a pair of Campfire CIEM Supermoon from @GiullianSN. They were factory built in Portland for his ear canal.

I was too optimistic. They didn’t fit my ears well at all. Outer ear fit is okay but not snug. Ear canal fit was subpar: no seal. Insertion depth seems okay.

Campfire won’t reshell their CIEM. Itsfitlab.com website is down, last I checked.

What to do?! How do you make custom ultrawide bore eartips? No idea.

The solution: be careful and a little stupid. Carve away enough of the nozzle with jeweler’s files to allow eartips. Bingo, bingo, BOOM!

CFA level bass response achieved in a couple hours or less, with planning, prep and execution.

Listening now for 30min. Very impressive. I can hardly believe I pulled off this modification.

IMG_7137.jpegIMG_7129.jpegIMG_7133.jpegIMG_7140.jpeg
That‘s actually a great result and quite compact, nice EDC you got there. Good thing CFA do solid shells for their customs. Durable and robust, opposite to recente cases from other manufacturers. Share more about how are you liking it.

Sep 27, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 4
I put tissue in the nozzle opening to protect from file dust entering. Left IEM went as planned.

In my excitement, the right IEM tissue barrier got jammed into the resonance chamber. The worst part of the mod was making things a bit worse trying to extract the tissue. A few tool mark scratches are inside one nozzle, but the tissue is out and I didn’t damage the internals. They must be tucked safer around the corner past the nozzle bend.
IMG_7132.jpeg
IMG_7136.jpeg

Sep 27, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #4 of 4
Verdict after first listening test:

CFA Supermoon modded for eartips seem far superior to my Audeze LCD-i4. The i4 have a sponginess, even with EQ or the Audeze Cyper cable (proprietary dongle DAC).

Supermoon closed soundstage might be a drawback compared to i4, but I’m enjoying the CFA bass too much at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back