Campfire Lyra II vs Periodic Beryllium
Jul 23, 2017 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

RollsDownWindowsManually

100+ Head-Fier
I know the lyra costs twice as much, but has anyone compared it to a periodic beryllium?

I've had etymotics for awhile and am looking to try a high-end dynamic IEM to see if I like them. I listen to a lot of hard rock, heavy metal, industrial, but also a bit of classical, jazz, and everything in between. Over time I'm finding my etymotics a little bit bright for extended listening. I do a lot of air travel.

Also, does anyone know the country of origin for the periodic beryllium? Are they made in central/south america?

Jul 24, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 18
Your title is a bit unclear, you mean the Beryllium IEM model by Periodic Audio brand.
Nice pile of marketing BS, their website, it's the typical example of association between periodic elements and supposedly specific sound characteristics, simplified to the extreme to attract ignorant customers with pseudo-science (no insult intended).

Without actual reviews of these "periodic" IEMs, please don't trust anything based on a commercial website.

Little sidetracking from a R&D chemist/engineer:

Beryllium, one of the latest rare element that fell to the audio hype train.
Rare element, and a "rich" replacement for titanium/aluminium (because it's lighter but much more rare and so much more expensive).

Its use in audio equipment is just one of the worst idea ever.
Beside the waste of resource it represents to use it for leisure, it is a highly toxic element by contact and inhaling ,and its processing is an ecologic nightmare.
It should be saved for applications that are a bit more "essential" than audio, but hey, smartphones opened new ways for wasteful use of rare elements, so "high-end" audio had to be next. After all, copper and gold are way too cheap for rich customers, and titanium is so old-fashioned.

Although beryllium drivers are kept within IEM shells and won't directly into contact with ear canals, I wouldn't never put them near my body, ever. And I really have pity for the poor employees manufacturing these drivers by using beryllium foils, it's a highly dangerous activity.

Beryllium is the typical example of a rare element that has been hyped for its mechanical properties without any proper risk assessment regarding supply and toxicology. By "pure coincidence", the US are in the top 3 producers of beryllium, which certainly explains why it's mainly proposed by US audio brands at the moment. China being another major producer, we can be confident it's going to get more popular very soon (HiFiMan, do you hear me ?).

Marketing glory at its peak...

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 18
The periodic beryllium got best in show at NYC canjam I thought. Sure there is a lot of marketing, but the campfire site is probably just as guilty as that, and a lot more expensive too. Anyway, thanks for replying. There is a thread on periodic audio here https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/periodic-audio-iems-mg-ti-be.840451/page-23 , maybe you could express your concerns about beryllium drivers there and see what the designer has to say, if he responds.

Jul 24, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #4 of 18
Your title is a bit unclear, you mean the Beryllium IEM model by Periodic Audio brand.
Nice pile of marketing BS, their website, it's the typical example of association between periodic elements and supposedly specific sound characteristics, simplified to the extreme to attract ignorant customers with pseudo-science (no insult intended).

Without actual reviews of these "periodic" IEMs, please don't trust anything based on a commercial website.

Rare element, and a "rich" replacement for titanium/aluminium (because it's lighter but much more rare and so much more expensive).

Its use in audio equipment is just one of the worst idea ever.
Beside the waste of resource it represents to use it for leisure, it is a highly toxic element by contact and inhaling ,and its processing is an ecologic nightmare.
It should be saved for applications that are a bit more "essential" than audio, but hey, smartphones opened new ways for wasteful use of rare elements, so "high-end" audio had to be next. After all, copper and gold are way too cheap for rich customers, and titanium is so old-fashioned.

Although beryllium drivers are kept within IEM shells and won't directly into contact with ear canals, I wouldn't never put them near my body, ever. And I really have pity for the poor employees manufacturing these drivers by using beryllium foils, it's a highly dangerous activity.

Beryllium is the typical example of a rare element that has been hyped for its mechanical properties without any proper risk assessment regarding supply and toxicology. By "pure coincidence", the US are in the top 3 producers of beryllium, which certainly explains why it's mainly proposed by US audio brands at the moment. China being another major producer, we can be confident it's going to get more popular very soon (HiFiMan, do you hear me ?).

I love my Lyra 2. I bought periodic audio MG. I wouldnt even touch the BE. That build quality is nothing I want to pour 300 in for.

At same time I think use of beryllium after reading this is not good overall. We don't know the safety standards in place for people who manufacture these drivers.
I also feel guilty for buying mine :p

But yes campfire audio is just as guilty with this too. I feel terrible for any employee who might've been harmed in assembly at the heart of my Lyra II iems.

It's a dynamic driver coated with beryllium but no doubt still toxic to those exposed?

To thread
BE better be cheaper than Lyra 2!! For what using same shells as the MG?
Increase in just beryllium driver.

But I have friends here who do have BE.
I may say BE might fit more preferences than Lyra 2 tbh. It's a fantastic sounding and well tuned.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 18
Paper and beryllium are still 2 of the best materials for driver surfaces. Both can have very good stiffness to mass ratios. Beryllium in small drivers will shift resonances above audibility and paper composites can be better than other materials at damping same but is better for larger diaphragms where resonances can't be shifted high enough. At these diameters, I'm surprised by the difference responses from diaphragm materials. I think the beryllium scare is way overstated as used in the making and use of these IEMs.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 18
Paper and beryllium are still 2 of the best materials for driver surfaces. Both can have very good stiffness to mass ratios. Beryllium in small drivers will shift resonances above audibility and paper composites can be better than other materials at damping same. At these diameters, I'm surprised by the difference responses from diaphragm materials. I think the beryllium scare is way overstated as used in the making and use of these IEMs.
Thanks for sharing your input!
:p

Jul 31, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 18
Some facts about beryllium. As long as you don't grind your IEMs up into dust and snort it - you're OK. Note that some dental amalgams contain beryllium - with OSHA and FDA consent. It's the dust form that is dangerous. Just like asbestos; you can handle the material without any concern, it's breathing the dust that is the source of health issues.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 18
Some facts about beryllium. As long as you don't grind your IEMs up into dust and snort it - you're OK.
Dan major respect for coming here.
CA also confirmed with me. No matter company. Every employee working with beryllium. The employers must abide by beryllium safety laws to minimize exposure.
Well at least here in U.S

Yes as dan mentioned. Please dont open BE and crush the drivers and sniff powders or eat it.

Jul 31, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 18
Yes as dan mentioned. Please dont open BE and crush the drivers and sniff powders or eat it.
Not only is it bad for your health, it does void your warranty...:)

Jul 31, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #10 of 18
I own the BE, and it is an excellent iem, I use it everyday. IMO, if it has a more modern shape with more bling, it could easily be worth twice as much. The BE has very strong bass that is very quick and control, excellent treble extension, vocal is nice and upfront, just imagine sitting in front of two very large full size speakers (jbl Everest, b&w 800). While it is very coherent, it is very intimate with excellent resolution and full of micro details. But I find it too upfront, and a little cramp. Kind of like going to a movie theatre and sitting front row. Although the housing is extremely light and serve its purposes, it's butt ugly. I think Dan and Periodic audio should update new housings that are worthy of its caliber.

Jul 31, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #11 of 18
I own the BE, and it is an excellent iem, I use it everyday. IMO, if it has a more modern shape with more bling, it could easily be worth twice as much. The BE has very strong bass that is very quick and control, excellent treble extension, vocal is nice and upfront, just imagine sitting in front of two very large full size speakers (jbl Everest, b&w 800). While it is very coherent, it is very intimate with excellent resolution and full of micro details. But I find it too upfront, and a little cramp. Kind of like going to a movie theatre and sitting front row. Although the housing is extremely light and serve its purposes, it's butt ugly. I think Dan and Periodic audio should update new housings that are worthy of its caliber.
You can bet I will also buy it if housing looked much better as well!

Im ok if Dan chooses polycarbonate housing due to it's acoustic properties.
But give Be a cool shape!

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #13 of 18
I ended up buying the Periodic Beryllium. They sound pretty great to me, I think they look fine, then again I only really care about how they sound. They're a little on the bright side of neutral, with strong bass. They seem nice for long listening sessions with rock or edm, they keep things exciting without being too fatiguing.

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #14 of 18
I ended up buying the Periodic Beryllium. They sound pretty great to me, I think they look fine, then again I only really care about how they sound. They're a little on the bright side of neutral, with strong bass. They seem nice for long listening sessions with rock or edm, they keep things exciting without being too fatiguing.
Funny enough Lyra 2 is just like that. It's exciting, dynamic without the Vega's demand for attention and fatigue with it's roller coaster bass that will throw you out of this galaxy.

It's neutral and sort of musical with strong points in lows and mids with great bass. but the bass Might not be as strong as BE? not too sure.

One thing for certain is I'm happy in way Periodic Audio packages. They waste little resources. A very kind and plain box, and packaging that is kind environmentally.

Campfire Audio does give you a free silver litz cable, and a very nice case with synthetic wool inside!
Small and simple packaging too with some nice space artwork. They are detachable.

They both have great upsides that I like.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #15 of 18

I disagree to this statement because Periodic also have Magnesium and Titanium version using the same housing, and unquestionably proved they have different sound characteristics.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back