Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Sep 11, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #4,171 of 5,394
So I picked up the Andromeda and love it. Thought I would stop in and ask what is out there in terms of portable dac/amp or daps that can handle how sensitive they are.

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #4,172 of 5,394
So I picked up the Andromeda and love it. Thought I would stop in and ask what is out there in terms of portable dac/amp or daps that can handle how sensitive they are.
There's a certain other forum out there, whose name cannot be mentioned here. It has an extremely elaborate thread specific to the Andromeda, and is chock full of the exact info you desire. Send me a pm.

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #4,173 of 5,394

Opus products. I have the #1. There is a member in the Opus thread who I believe uses a #2 or #3 with his Andromeda.

Usually Opus recommends using as low a gain as possible with a higher dB, I found the L2 work better with a Higher Gain and Lower dB.

Sep 12, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #4,174 of 5,394
I think the vega is slightly hard to put on since it is so small. If I push them into my ears wearing it tight, the sound of the bass has some more resonance/ thump. The sound of the Vega changes so much with a different wearing position. Should I be putting on the Vega by pushing it tight into my ears or just leaving it touching the edge of my ear canal? It seems I cant wear the Vega properly. The Polars / Andro are much easier to put on IMO. I am literally asking, how do I put on the Vega?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #4,175 of 5,394
My W-bore Symbios arrived yesterday. Getting a feel for the fit. They're on the firm side and making my ears a bit sore. At first I thought it was a fit issue, but then realized that the W-bore just has really bright treble. I see the potential for fatigue. If I can get used to the fit, for long wear, then I'll order a set of N to see how they sound.

Sep 12, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #4,176 of 5,394
Upgrade fever has struck. Today I took the plunge and purchased a pair of Vegas based on the overwhelming positive reviews and impressions from this thread. Thanks everyone! As a result my Lyra IIs will be going up for sale on this site for $425.00 which includes any PayPal fees and USPS priority mail shipping. They are in very good to excellent condition and come with all original accessories and product box. If anyone is interested please PM me. Plan on posting the head-fi classified later this evening.

Sep 12, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #4,177 of 5,394
Upgrade fever has struck. Today I took the plunge and purchased a pair of Vegas based on the overwhelming positive reviews and impressions from this thread. Thanks everyone! As a result my Lyra IIs will be going up for sale on this site for $425.00 which includes any PayPal fees and USPS priority mail shipping. They are in very good to excellent condition and come with all original accessories and product box. If anyone is interested please PM me. Plan on posting the head-fi classified later this evening.
This may be a stretch, but my client who's arriving in an hour just might be interested. If he is, I'll send you a PM asap.

Regardless, I know they'll sell quickly at such a great price!

Sep 12, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #4,178 of 5,394

Wow. Just got mine a couple weeks ago for $540 but barely used a few hours.

Sep 12, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #4,180 of 5,394
My W-bore Symbios arrived yesterday. Getting a feel for the fit. They're on the firm side and making my ears a bit sore. At first I thought it was a fit issue, but then realized that the W-bore just has really bright treble. I see the potential for fatigue. If I can get used to the fit, for long wear, then I'll order a set of N to see how they sound.
Ok. Here is the ONE thing I hate about the Vega.

I cannot freaking tip roll to save my life. Foamies cause the kind of irritation that makes my ear canal scab. And, every single silicone tip I've tried generates a vacuum seal whenever I adjust the fit... causing a loss of sound until jiggle it. So damned frustrating that I know I can get better sound out of these with other tips, but am restricted to the stock black silicone. Dammit.

Sep 12, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #4,181 of 5,394

I cannot freaking tip roll to save my life. Foamies cause the kind of irritation that makes my ear canal scab. And, every single silicone tip I've tried generates a vacuum seal whenever I adjust the fit... causing a loss of sound until jiggle it. So damned frustrating that I know I can get better sound out of these with other tips, but am restricted to the stock black silicone. Dammit.

Did you try JVC spiral tips?

Sep 12, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #4,183 of 5,394

Strip of silicone or foam between the tip and nozzle (credit to James444 for posting about it on headfi, if not inventing it himself (I don't know)), slightly over the edge of the nozzle. I cut up 3M foam earplugs because they're real cheap so screwing up doesn't matter, and the effect with anything not foam seems to be too strong for me (I think some kind of fabric might work well, though). Keep in mind it will affect low end to some degree, though its not like the Vega doesn't have a ton of that to spare.
20170913_125422.jpg

These are some not-spiral dot JVC tips I found on Amazon Japan, which seem to give a nice balance between what I perceive with spin-fits (overall balance, not comfortable long term) and spiral dots (comfy but even with the mod, too bassy/lower middy, throaty)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #4,184 of 5,394
Strip of silicone or foam between the tip and nozzle (credit to James444 for posting about it on headfi, if not inventing it himself (I don't know)), slightly over the edge of the nozzle. I cut up 3M foam earplugs because they're real cheap so screwing up doesn't matter, and the effect with anything not foam seems to be too strong for me (I think some kind of fabric might work well, though). Keep in mind it will affect low end to some degree, though its not like the Vega doesn't have a ton of that to spare.

These are some not-spiral dot JVC tips I found on Amazon Japan, which seem to give a nice balance between what I perceive with spin-fits (overall balance, not comfortable long term) and spiral dots (comfy but even with the mod, too bassy/lower middy, throaty)

Thanks for this. I knit professionally, so wonder if a strand of fine, silk yarn would work. Worth a shot and much less difficult than cutting up foam and stuff.

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #4,185 of 5,394
I have not. Don't those brighten the sound up though?

Ultimately, I want foam. The isolation and sound quality were the best. Need to find something latex and rubber free = unlikely.

The spiral dots do brighten the sound up (or rather, just dont attenuate the trebles like foams or narrow bore tips). But in my mind that was actually not really a bad thing as the vegas are already so warm and bassy. Kind of balanced them out a bit for me. And comfort is best. Though, if you do want a thicker sound, try spinfits, I found I could get a good seal with less pressure build up, and they definitely are thicker sounding that spiral dots which do brighten things up a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back