Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Aug 22, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #4,127 of 5,394
I think the massive bass just shakes the nozzles loose...
Mine was like that straight out of the box. It wasn't major though ( really tiny imperfection/misalignment), but my OCD kicked in, and I had to get a replacement.

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #4,128 of 5,394
Mine was like that straight out of the box. It wasn't major though ( really tiny imperfection/misalignment), but my OCD kicked in, and I had to get a replacement.
Mine actually came apart from the metal shell. Nothing was broken, per se, but I was taking it out of my ear and it felt weird, then I saw the inside of the IEM. Wasn't very fun. I'm guessing it might be cause of the big changes in temperature here in NYC, but still... hope they switched to a better adhesive. Haven't had problems since. Wish the whole IEM was in the liquid alloy housing.

Also happened when I started using Mandarines tips... which have crazy isolation and take more effort to pull out. The Mandarines broke my Vega!

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #4,129 of 5,394
Mine actually came apart from the metal shell. Nothing was broken, per se, but I was taking it out of my ear and it felt weird, then I saw the inside of the IEM. Wasn't very fun. I'm guessing it might be cause of the big changes in temperature here in NYC, but still... hope they switched to a better adhesive. Haven't had problems since. Wish the whole IEM was in the liquid alloy housing.

Also happened when I started using Mandarines tips... which have crazy isolation and take more effort to pull out. The Mandarines broke my Vega!

That's good to know. I would have blamed myself somehow and just glued it back together. It's nice that CA is so responsive.

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #4,130 of 5,394
I want to sell my vega several times ,but recently test some full size head phone (sony XB1000,Beyerdynamice T5.,DT880 ...) And i like my Vega more than before .Vega very sensitive (Tips ,cables,Daps)If selected correctly Anyone can fall in love it Vega :)

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #4,131 of 5,394
That's good to know. I would have blamed myself somehow and just glued it back together. It's nice that CA is so responsive.
Yeah was scared for a bit, but as it wasn't due to any excessive force it's pretty clear that it was a defect. If it were a $50 IEM then sure, it's to be expected. But CA's responsiveness was definitely reassuring and makes me confident in any future purchases, say, for example, their over-ear that was set to release relatively soon-ish using a diamond driver as well :L3000:

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #4,133 of 5,394
Which Mandarines tips are folks using? The W?
This folk is, yes. Before them I preferred the Campfire foams, now I like these best. Better isolation and much less need to keep repurchasing tips in the long run. And similar signature, perhaps a bit clearer to my ears.

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #4,134 of 5,394
This folk is, yes. Before them I preferred the Campfire foams, now I like these best. Better isolation and much less need to keep repurchasing tips in the long run. And similar signature, perhaps a bit clearer to my ears.
This is very encouraging to know. Going to have to order some very soon.

Aside from the foam rubber causing irritation in my ears, I can't use tips other than the stock black silicone, because of the hard seal they form in my ears. This creates a vacuum in my canal and the Vega stops transmitting sound. The MandarinEs do not have this problem?

Aug 22, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #4,135 of 5,394
I'm using the N bore, because well I'm bit of a basshead :)

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #4,136 of 5,394

Aside from the foam rubber causing irritation in my ears, I can't use tips other than the stock black silicone, because of the hard seal they form in my ears. This creates a vacuum in my canal and the Vega stops transmitting sound. The MandarinEs do not have this problem?

I haven't experienced that because of a vacuum effect... but one of the bores did create a seal that prevented any sound when I used a size that was too large. Just went down a size and all was well.

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #4,137 of 5,394
Got my Vega in. I like it pretty well so far, it's bright with strong bass and good isolation. I'm not going to go into too much detail about the sound as I'm sure others are better than me at that.

Here are some measurements for comparison purposes on my completely amateur rig.

3x%20iem.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #4,138 of 5,394
Spending more time with the vega, I'm really liking what this IEM does with bass guitar; It really brings the frequency range of that instrument out of the mix, and manages to do it without screwing up the transition to midrange too much. The treble is definitely a little calmer now that I found the right ear-tip, the small foam.

A question for anyone in the know: How far do you insert these? With small foam I can get etymotic-like levels of penetration, however my ear's targus starts to cover up the bass port when I do.

Also, I my left ear canal is pretty small and it keeps tearing/ripping even the small stock foam eartips. Is there any solution to this or another eartip I can try?

Aug 26, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #4,139 of 5,394
Spending more time with the vega, I'm really liking what this IEM does with bass guitar; It really brings the frequency range of that instrument out of the mix, and manages to do it without screwing up the transition to midrange too much. The treble is definitely a little calmer now that I found the right ear-tip, the small foam.

A question for anyone in the know: How far do you insert these? With small foam I can get etymotic-like levels of penetration, however my ear's targus starts to cover up the bass port when I do.

Also, I my left ear canal is pretty small and it keeps tearing/ripping even the small stock foam eartips. Is there any solution to this or another eartip I can try?

I too have had problems with finding the right tips, right now I use Sony hybrids which are a mix of silicone and foam. I don't insert them very deep because the sound cuts out if I move my jaw.

I am still thinking of getting some custom tips but not so sure yet...

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #4,140 of 5,394
Thanks all. And I've tried Lyra II and Dorado last weekend. First thing I noticed is that Dorado is easier to drive. The treble on Lyra II is more laid back. I cannot tell any significant difference between the bass of the two, maybe dorado's bass decay a bit quicker but I am not sure. Both separation are good. The resolution is decent, not the best but it does not have a very big sound stage either so that would be enough. Overall I like Dorado more because the high and vocal is brighter that I do not have to be focus to hear them.
Also I just spotted a decent second-hand offer of Dorado. The last thing I am worried about is the noise isolation tho. The store I tried was not that noisy and Dorado was having spinfit tip which was too long to get a good seal, so I could not really test the noise isolation. And I do want some better isolation than my current AKG N40.

So how does the Lyra II compare to the N40? I have the N40 right now and wondering if its worth it to get them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back