Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Apr 2, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #3,451 of 5,394
This post might've sealed the deal on me buying the Vega. I have LCD-4s and to have an IEM version would blow my mind. Do you use the standard cable on the Vega?

ExpatinJapan and I have both found this cable to be a good match. I won't speak for him but it really gives the vega that last bit of clarity and transparency, control, and ultra spacious almost headphone feel to me at least :)

Been listening to this off my balanced modded mojo the past week and it's been crazy. My plane rides and train rides (I'm on a holiday) just became that much better hehe.

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #3,452 of 5,394
ExpatinJapan and I have both found this cable to be a good match. I won't speak for him but it really gives the vega that last bit of clarity and transparency, control, and ultra spacious almost headphone feel to me at least :)

Been listening to this off my balanced modded mojo the past week and it's been crazy. My plane rides and train rides (I'm on a holiday) just became that much better hehe.

Hmmmm I like. I'll be using it for my daily 30min walk through downtown San Diego to and from work. What's the exact make and model of it? Does it lessen the bass impact or extension at all? I hope not.

Oh..and wait..balanced modded mojo?? How? Dude..teach me..

Apr 2, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #3,453 of 5,394
Hmmmm I like. I'll be using it for my daily 30min walk through downtown San Diego to and from work. What's the exact make and model of it? Does it lessen the bass impact or extension at all? I hope not.

Oh..and wait..balanced modded mojo?? How? Dude..teach me..

Check out dita Audio's truth cable.

Bass is tighter, less fat, better detailed and faster but actually hits a tad more impactfully.

As for the mojo, that's a bit tough considering that I don't know how it's done, just went through a Friend who got some of his contacts to get it done. I'll keep you posted if ever it becomes a readily available option :)

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #3,454 of 5,394
Hi all,

On my holidays in Hong Kong, I gave in and bought the Vega. I got it from Jaben in Kowloon. I got the chance to audition a few more IEMs like Andromeda, JH Audio Roxanne Performance, Westone W80 and another Asian IEM I can't remember the name of. I didn't have enough time to spend to form conclusive opinions on them. However, I compared Vega with Andromeda and thought Vega would suite my taste more as its sound had more weight behind it. The Andromeda sounded more airy and slightly wider. Then I played a hip-hop song to get an idea of the bass response of each of these IEMs, and here no one could touch the Vega. I also bought the Mojo as I wanted a better DAC/AMP for both the Vega and my full-size Beyerdynamic T90. I guess I need to go through 100hrs burn-in process before the sound of Vega settles down.

Thanks to all in the thread for sharing their experience with the Vega which helped me make the decision :)

Questions:
- Which tips are recommended for the Vega?
- Which cable makes the Vega sound even better, Ref 8 or Dita Truth?

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #3,457 of 5,394
  Anyone have tried/have the Lyra II that can compare it to the FLC8?

I have the FLC 8S...would be interested in hearing it, too, against the Lyra
or even the more pricey iems from Campfire.

for what its' worth, I got in the Aurisonics 1plus the other day.
compared them briefly to the FLC 8S with gray, gray and gold filters.
imo the FLCs sounded clearer, more dynamic, detailed and punchier.
the Aurisonics 1plus just sounded overall a bit more veiled.
and the fit of the FLC is more flush and overall nicer with a deeper insert.
guess the FLC 8S are still a great bang for the buck iem...
(at least for my ears and their profile)

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #3,459 of 5,394
Anyone have tried/have the Lyra II that can compare it to the FLC8?

I have both at the moment - will be able to put up impressions in about a week.

Apr 2, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #3,462 of 5,394
This post might've sealed the deal on me buying the Vega. I have LCD-4s and to have an IEM version would blow my mind. Do you use the standard cable on the Vega?

I bought the official Sony Kimber cable found here:

Https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3TK66F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_thw4ybV1M58MY

I'm not a believer that cables make a big sound difference as I hangout in the sound science forums a lot. But I still buy them for their artistic qualities and beauty. Etc. Vega definitely reminds me of the lcd4 but it is ever more warm and syrupy to the point it's almost too much. Also the soundstage is sometimes not only too small but a little crowded sounding. If you can get past the thick warm sound and don't mind the sound stage and love good bass then I would say get it. But don't buy it thinking it will sound near as good as lcd4 just similar for an IEM. I have no regrets and is my favorite iem to date.

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #3,463 of 5,394
I just bought this Dunu balanced cable. I couldn't find any info on so I figured I'd go first haha

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYJQCKT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #3,464 of 5,394
For pop music, the Dorado should be more suitable, I've read?

Theoreticaly or logically, that is a valid statement, but the Vega is just too much better than the Dorado to choose between them based on what music you are listening to.  They are both comfortable Sound signatures that have Warmth, but IMO the Dynamic Driver of the Vega is, as Ken Ball said to me as I tried them out, "magical".  It pulls of things that BA's can't do alone and DD's can't do alone.

I tested out pop music on both, Computer Magic to be exact, and the Vega's standards eclipsed the Dorado.  If you can afford the Vega, I think it's the Vega hands down and if you're going to make a choice between the Vega and other CA IEM's it's really between the Vega and the Andromeda IMO.

If you really want that Pop feel, I'd go with the Andromeda cuz it can still compete with the Vega in quality.

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #3,465 of 5,394
I bought the official Sony Kimber cable found here:

Https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3TK66F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_thw4ybV1M58MY

I'm not a believer that cables make a big sound difference as I hangout in the sound science forums a lot. But I still buy them for their artistic qualities and beauty. Etc. Vega definitely reminds me of the lcd4 but it is ever more warm and syrupy to the point it's almost too much. Also the soundstage is sometimes not only too small but a little crowded sounding. If you can get past the thick warm sound and don't mind the sound stage and love good bass then I would say get it. But don't buy it thinking it will sound near as good as lcd4 just similar for an IEM. I have no regrets and is my favorite iem to date.

We will probably agree to disagree here, but my experience with the vega tells me that it sounds that way largely because of the stock cable. That cable has, to my ears an extremely strong character. Some like it, and some don't. Very very smooth, thick, and forward. If you swap out something else you might very well find it to be among the most spacious and well separated of earphones as I have found it to be :)

Not saying you should go splurging on cables, but if you ever do have the chance, do try out some of the DHC/effect audio higher end offerings. They're not cheap, and not my Favourite but they do some things that can pair with the vega pretty well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back