Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Feb 11, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #2,641 of 5,394
No, no tube amp for me, though I did pick up a chord mojo which I am pretty happy with for my mobile setup and I'm running schitt modi 2/magni 2 on my desktop which also works well for me, though it probably won't get a ton of use there with the vega.

I was really impressed with Schiit audio.  I was actually going to recommend it cuz they have solid tube amps and great amps and DAC's in general for the price IMO, but that is an excellent setup you have.
4c9801e6ab127007f03448a277f76734.jpg

This stack with Continental v5? And DX200

1d01133c234b4385203824e3fe94103e.jpg

Or with the Nova?

OMG there's that beauty!!!  I loved the Alo Continental v5 tube amp....  

Please tell me how the Vega and maybe in general how the Campfire's sound with that tube amp, if you'd be so kind, and how it differs from others...  if that's alright.

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #2,642 of 5,394
I only just recently got the Continental V5 as I have been occupied with the iBasso DX200.

As the Continental V5 is the 5th in a developing series of tube amplifiers by the experienced ALO Audio one can expect excellence.

Coupled with its sibling companies earphones by Campfire Audio one would expect and hope for some synergy.

My short superficial imoressions read like any would of a tube amp.

I have paired it with several CA earphones and enjoyed the lush, rich, warmth of the usual tube sound. The V5 is very smooth and adds a layer of loveliness.

The idea is more to color and enhance the sound to a more natural flow,
Not so much to amplify as most devices these days have ample power.

With more analytical and longer listening sessions I will be able to offer more indepth feedback than the basic superficial impressions above.

For more maybe visit the V5 thread and see what others have written who have had theirs for longer.

Feb 11, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #2,643 of 5,394
Dorado and Vega is nothing alike. Vega bass is miles ahead of Dorado in terms of texture, layering and overall satisfaction. 

Hey Seamon, when are you going to pick up the Vega again? I do agree with your description of the Vega's bass. May not be miles ahead but definitely is an improvement. I did have an opportunity to listen to the Dorado last week for the first time and it is a very smooth and enjoyable phone, but Vega is very dynamic and much more engaging, it just pulls you into the music.

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #2,644 of 5,394

I was really impressed with Schiit audio.  I was actually going to recommend it cuz they have solid tube amps and great amps and DAC's in general for the price IMO, but that is an excellent setup you have.

I need more time with the mojo, since I just got it a couple days ago, and even though it may not have the best synergy with the vega, I like it quite a bit so far. The schiit stack on the other hand is great, even though its their low end stack (not counting the fulla 2) I think its really wonderful. Though usually when I am on my desktop I dont listen to a ton of music, and most of the time I usually just stick to my Senn HD6XX since... though the vega might convince me otherwise that using iems at home could be better than full size because I am really enjoying the pairing with the vega as I have been listening between burning in (though I think future burn in is probably just going to be me listening to them). The only problem with the schiit stack is their usb driver for windows is actual ****. Half the time the driver fails when turning on, and when playing music through it in foobar, it freezes my computer for a second sometimes when tracks change.

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #2,645 of 5,394
Currently on the hunt for a new IEM (have a thread about it too) and was eyeing the Vega for a while. Now after having read this thread I saw a lot of comments about the required power and that a phone typically isn't enough as a source etc.

My setup is iPhone 7 with a Cozoy Astrapi. Would that be "ok" for a portable setup for the Vega or is it largely wasting the Vega?

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #2,646 of 5,394
Currently on the hunt for a new IEM (have a thread about it too) and was eyeing the Vega for a while. Now after having read this thread I saw a lot of comments about the required power and that a phone typically isn't enough as a source etc.

My setup is iPhone 7 with a Cozoy Astrapi. Would that be "ok" for a portable setup for the Vega or is it largely wasting the Vega?

I don't think it's that they need a lot of power, just that they scale great and like a lot of power. A few on this thread use them with only their phone, and really like it.

That won't of course show you their full potential, and once you listen to how great they sound you prob won't resist seeing what they sound like with better sources anyways, so be warned you'll prob purchase another dac/amp or dap later on anyways...

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #2,647 of 5,394
does anyone think Adel technology (or similar) will start to take off more amongst makers of TOTL iems?
I do see it's one thing that distinguishes Empire Ears with their very pricey Zeus XR Adel @ $2700...ouch
frown.gif
https://www.empireears.com/product/mto-universal-zeus-xr-adel/
i really don't know if the technology is that warranted or not (i always try to listen sub 70db)
but admittedly it is interesting.

''The Zeus-XR ADEL features the world’s first and only patented technology that safely delivers a louder, more
spacious and richer sound –  all while avoiding the risk of hearing damage caused by in-ear monitors. '' 

''When the ear canal is sealed by an in-ear monitor, the driver vibrations create harmful pneumatic pressures in
the confined space. The ADEL technology features a secondary eardrum that absorbs the pneumatic pressures
produced by in-ear monitors and provides a much safer listening experience. It delivers sound the way it was meant
to be heard. With the ADEL, bass sounds deeper, midrange is clearer and highs sound richer than ever.''

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #2,648 of 5,394
  does anyone think Adel technology (or similar) will start to take off more amongst more TOTL iems?
I do see it's one thing that distinguishes Empire Ears with their very pricey Zeus XR Adel @ $2700...ouch.
https://www.empireears.com/product/mto-universal-zeus-xr-adel/
i really don't know if the technology is that warranted or not (i always try to listen sub 70db)
but admittedly it is interesting.

ADEL is legit. It works very well

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #2,651 of 5,394
Empire Ears has different prices in their line of IEMS, pick what you can afford, you don't have to pick TOTL one

i guess i'm getting at hearing health issues, too: i'm all for paying a bit more for similar technology if it's going to preserve and extend
my long term enjoyment of music listening...i already have some tinnitus...am sure i'm not alone on this concern.
anyway i emailed Campfire on this, asking them to weigh in....also if there is any rough release date for their over ear headphones.

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #2,652 of 5,394
Roughly 5 hours in at this point...organic, lush, intimate, detailed, coherant, refined, highly transparent: pretty much how I would describe these; they compliment many of the others in my collection- I don't think I'll be buying any more earphones for quite some time, though a Ref. 8 cable might be worthwhile. Well done, Campfire Audio.

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #2,653 of 5,394
  Roughly 5 hours in at this point...organic, lush, intimate, detailed, coherant, refined, highly transparent: pretty much how I would describe these; they compliment many of the others in my collection- I don't think I'll be buying any more earphones for quite some time, though a Ref. 8 cable might be worthwhile. Well done, Campfire Audio.

Wait till they burn-in and you'll be even more wowed :D

Same here... Not looking at IEMs for a while :)
Enjoy!

Yes I confirm as I recently got myself the Ref8, it's a perfect match with the Vega and a real upgrade over the already quite good Litz, great synergy!

does anyone think Adel technology (or similar) will start to take off more amongst makers of TOTL iems?

Yes it will, I loved it with the U12 (before the 64Audio break up with ADEL...) along with the sound sig tuning it brought to the tables with different modules.
Non fatiguing and a benefit to soundstage too

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #2,654 of 5,394
I only just recently got the Continental V5 as I have been occupied with the iBasso DX200.

As the Continental V5 is the 5th in a developing series of tube amplifiers by the experienced ALO Audio one can expect excellence.

Coupled with its sibling companies earphones by Campfire Audio one would expect and hope for some synergy.

My short superficial imoressions read like any would of a tube amp.

I have paired it with several CA earphones and enjoyed the lush, rich, warmth of the usual tube sound. The V5 is very smooth and adds a layer of loveliness.

The idea is more to color and enhance the sound to a more natural flow,
Not so much to amplify as most devices these days have ample power.

With more analytical and longer listening sessions I will be able to offer more indepth feedback than the basic superficial impressions above.

For more maybe visit the V5 thread and see what others have written who have had theirs for longer.

I remember trying the v5 very vell.  Very very good sound quality...

I'm there with you on the tube amps....  I have the IMS HVA and it colors the sound so beautifully...  like you say...  an added layer of loveliness and can't do with out any more...

Like the other good tube sounds...  Adds that warmth, but no in the same sense of typical warmth, but an added depth to the sound on a dimension that is otherwise cold in my opinion...  And especially with something already with a warm sound such as the Vega, I'd imagine a tube amp to really make that warmth more articulating....  hmm hmm hmm...  My future wishlist.

Take care...  enjoy.

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #2,655 of 5,394
I picked up the Andromedas recently and should have them in in a few days, although after reading all the reviews and comments here I feel like the Vega might be more of my style iem, I listen almost exclusively to EDM so I do like my bass alot. Does anyone have an opinion on them both that listens to EDM alot or a comparison with the dorado, vega, and andros? I hope that I might be able to trade the andros for some vegas if I don't like the signature that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back