Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Feb 6, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #4,712 of 5,394
Might sound crazy to some but I got a pair of Brainwavz B400 last week (4 BA, $180). Running them with a cheap $30 balanced cable and I am starting to enjoy them more than the Lyra II. Less bass but that actually seems to be a good thing to me now, the high mids are a lot more apparent giving better details and the staging and layering beats the Lyra II. My pair might go on the chopping block soon. Maybe I am not such a fan of Single DD's as I thought :D

Also, the damn driver flex with the Lyra II is a real PITA, I don't care for the sound when using foamies, silicone tips are picky with these bc some cause the flex to happen more

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #4,713 of 5,394
Try foam tips

which source are you using?
I’ve been using Comply tips at home listening to Spotify and Tidal through my computer running to a Grace M9XX. At work I have been using spiral dots via a Pixel 2 and a DragonFly 1.5. Foamies definitely sound better, but the ease of use of the spiral dots at work is necessary for me, and I actually feel like there is a bit more bass with the foamies as well.

Feb 6, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #4,714 of 5,394
Foam tips are good for boosting bass and calming treble. They don’t cause driver flex either.

@misericorde88 its been noted by many people that the bass will subdue a bit with burn in and tighten up. I noticed this as well.

Feb 6, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #4,715 of 5,394
Foam tips are good for boosting bass and calming treble. They don’t cause driver flex either.

@misericorde88 its been noted by many people that the bass will subdue a bit with burn in and tighten up. I noticed this as well.
Quite a bit of burn in, at least 72 hrs. 100+ was where it got best for me.

Feb 7, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #4,716 of 5,394

They kill air making IEMs sound less open, IMO

Feb 7, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #4,718 of 5,394
My philosophy on burn in, or breaking things in (in general), is to stretch them beyond the level we'd use them. Plug your Vega in, put them in a quiet place, and run complicated, dynamic music at volumes several step above your max. I do this for my new earbuds for 5-7 days, to get them burned in sooner rather than later. It also allows me to check in and hear a daily difference, if there is one.

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #4,720 of 5,394
Ok, I purchased a used Vega last week, and I’m trying to adjust to them. Is there anyone that was initially overwhelmed by the amount of bass, but later adjusted to it? I thought I was a bit of a basshead, but now I’m questioning my life. Previously to buying these I was daily driving the Fostex TH-X00 and thought they had a good low end, but they now sound anemic in comparison. My primary music genre is progressive metal, and I feel like the Vega’s bass makes it hard to discern mids/highs. I also find myself listening at a lower volume than with other headphones because of the bass quantity. I will say that everything about the Fostex sounds a bit muddy in comparison. I plan on snapping up some used Andromeda’s for comparison when I see some available.

Have you tried using different tips? I found the wide bored spiral dots opened up the mids and highs for me but then on some tracks it was too energetic for me. I personally listen to mines with Comply Smartcore foams. Also try to EQ the sub bass down... It helps if you're willing to do that. But based on you're impressions of the Vega I think Andromeda would much suite your taste.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #4,722 of 5,394
Have you tried using different tips? I found the wide bored spiral dots opened up the mids and highs for me but then on some tracks it was too energetic for me. I personally listen to mines with Comply Smartcore foams. Also try to EQ the sub bass down... It helps if you're willing to do that. But based on you're impressions of the Vega I think Andromeda would much suite your taste.
I agree with everything you said about tips. I played around with all the included ones and several I already had. I messed around with EQ in Spotify, but that EQ is junk. I also have Neutralizer installed, but it doesn't play well with my DragonFly. Paying for an EQ app for $1000 plus iems grates on my sensibilities though.

I'll definitely give the Andromeda a shot when the opportunity presents itself.

Feb 7, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #4,723 of 5,394
I agree with everything you said about tips. I played around with all the included ones and several I already had. I messed around with EQ in Spotify, but that EQ is junk. I also have Neutralizer installed, but it doesn't play well with my DragonFly. Paying for an EQ app for $1000 plus iems grates on my sensibilities though.

I'll definitely give the Andromeda a shot when the opportunity presents itself.
With everything you've said, it seems that Andromeda would be a much better fit. Vega is so deep and dark in comparison. Andromeda, for me, felt like jumping from cloud to cloud. There was no ground (bass floor) under me to hold me up, but I was still floating nonetheless. The spaciousness of the highs is spectacular. I want to own them as well, even though Vega will definitely be my daily driver.

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #4,724 of 5,394
The Vega + Andromeda combo is worth owning if you can swing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back