Campfire Audio - Satsuma and Honeydew
Aug 19, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #227 of 278
IMG_1513.jpg

Decided to keep the Honeydews. Putting the FiiO "vocal" silicone tips on them and pairing them with the Qudelix 5k have definitely pushed them over the edge for me, they are an absolute ton of fun to listen to now. And the comfort cannot be understated--I wore them for like 8 hours with basically no breaks on Tuesday and had absolutely zero comfort issues. Excited to do some more tip-rolling maybe this weekend, too.

Can't help but still be extremely curious about the Penon Globes, but I'll enjoy the Honeydews for now. I'll get back to the Globes later in the year.

Aug 19, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #228 of 278
IMG_1513.jpg

Decided to keep the Honeydews. Putting the FiiO "vocal" silicone tips on them and pairing them with the Qudelix 5k have definitely pushed them over the edge for me, they are an absolute ton of fun to listen to now. And the comfort cannot be understated--I wore them for like 8 hours with basically no breaks on Tuesday and had absolutely zero comfort issues. Excited to do some more tip-rolling maybe this weekend, too.

Can't help but still be extremely curious about the Penon Globes, but I'll enjoy the Honeydews for now. I'll get back to the Globes later in the year.
Beautiful photo. Eye candy that makes me want these.

Aug 20, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #229 of 278
Beautiful photo. Eye candy that makes me want these.

Thanks! That's nice of you to say. Had some slow days at work this week so I had some time to try and take a nice picture, this was the only one that I thought turned out alright.

Anyway, did some tip-rolling.

I got the SednaEarfit Xelastecs (MS, M, ML) yesterday and they're... Weird? Like the whole thing is just bizarre, lol. Sticky, transparent tips that adjust to your ears. Sticking the ML ones into my ears felt a bit much, but when they were in there, the comfort and isolation were pretty superb, no doubt about that. Unfortunately, they completely kill the fun factor for me. Bass gets drastically reduced and the IEMs just sort of sound dry.

Also tried the Final tips that came with the Honeydews, and I think these might actually be my favorites sound-wise. Having some weird isolation issues, though. If I push them in "properly", or at least deep enough that feels properly to me, I just straight up lose all sound. Not sure if they're somehow sealing too well or if the tip is pushing against the ear canal wall or something. Anyone know what's up with that, what sort of tips should I be looking into to avoid it? I guess something more shallow, maybe? Isolation isn't nearly as good as the Xelastecs, but definitely better than the FiiO tips. So while getting good (or any) sound is a bit fiddly with them, I think I'll stick with them for now.

Should be getting a pair of ePro Horn (or whatever) tips hopefully today or tomorrow, so I'm excited to try those, too.

Aug 30, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #231 of 278
Got the ePro horn tips a week or so ago and these are fantastic with the Honeydews (and in general). The feel and seal are perfect for me, like they were made for my ears, and it almost feels like the bass takes a slight step back while still retaining the humongous size, making a wider variety of music enjoyable on these. Definitely not an all-rounder still, these are still gonna be mostly for rap/grime/drum and bass/jungle/etc., but surprisingly close.

But until I find my goldilocks IEM, these are easily gonna be enough.

Aug 31, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #232 of 278
Got the ePro horn tips a week or so ago and these are fantastic with the Honeydews (and in general). The feel and seal are perfect for me, like they were made for my ears, and it almost feels like the bass takes a slight step back while still retaining the humongous size, making a wider variety of music enjoyable on these. Definitely not an all-rounder still, these are still gonna be mostly for rap/grime/drum and bass/jungle/etc., but surprisingly close.

But until I find my goldilocks IEM, these are easily gonna be enough.
Some interesting points you’ve made here. I’m excited to try them out. I also had issues with the final tips, they cut off all sound. I heard some driver flex so immediately stopped using them as I was concerned I’d ruin the drivers.
I’ll have to look into the ePro ones too and also the qudelix. Anything other than a super clean source and these things sound quite bloomy. Surprisingly, the Apple 3.5mm to has been my main source recently as it sounds pretty great. That £9 device is a bit of a bargain

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #233 of 278
Some interesting points you’ve made here. I’m excited to try them out. I also had issues with the final tips, they cut off all sound. I heard some driver flex so immediately stopped using them as I was concerned I’d ruin the drivers.
I’ll have to look into the ePro ones too and also the qudelix. Anything other than a super clean source and these things sound quite bloomy. Surprisingly, the Apple 3.5mm to has been my main source recently as it sounds pretty great. That £9 device is a bit of a bargain
What does driver flex sound like? For an IEM?

Sep 27, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #236 of 278
Oct 13, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #238 of 278
Honeydew in the house! These things are FUN!

Oct 13, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #239 of 278
Satsuma or Etymotic Er4xr? Both single BA. Both about the same price.
I added a comparison between the ER3XR and Satsuma in my review. Quoting that here:

Campfire Satsuma ($200) vs Etymotic ER3XR ($150): Etymotic ER3XR requires a special, deep-fit that bypasses the second-bend of the ear canal and for some it can be too painful. I can’t use Etymotics for more than half hour due to the discomfort they cause. So before going ahead with this comparison, I should point out that caveat.

In terms of isolation, the ER3XR surpasses the (otherwise very good) Satsuma. As for sound quality, Etymotic goes for a sub-bass boosted DF-neutral signature for the ER3XR (ER3SE is the one for those who want linear bass). As a result, there’s more of a sub-bass presence on the ER3XR than on the Satsuma, though both lack rumble and texture in the bass notes. Mids are also somewhat different with the ER3XR going for a dry, colorless midrange rendition wheres the Satsuma has some added warmth in the lower-mids. Upper-mids are also less prominent on the Satsuma than the ER3XR, which leads the latter to have more up-front voicing.

Indeed, vocals and instruments are better articulated on the Etymotic whereas the subtleties are less obvious on the Satsuma. Treble is also smoother on the ER3XR though both of these IEMs aren’t what I’d say sparkly in the treble region. Imaging and staging is notably better on the Satsuma (an inherent weakness of the Etymotic design) whereas separation is better on the ER3XR. Same goes for resolution where the ER3XR blows past the Satsuma, being perhaps the most resolving IEMs under $200.

I’d personally pick the ER3XR as long as fit isn’t an issue.

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #240 of 278
I added a comparison between the ER3XR and Satsuma in my review. Quoting that here:

Campfire Satsuma ($200) vs Etymotic ER3XR ($150): Etymotic ER3XR requires a special, deep-fit that bypasses the second-bend of the ear canal and for some it can be too painful. I can’t use Etymotics for more than half hour due to the discomfort they cause. So before going ahead with this comparison, I should point out that caveat.

In terms of isolation, the ER3XR surpasses the (otherwise very good) Satsuma. As for sound quality, Etymotic goes for a sub-bass boosted DF-neutral signature for the ER3XR (ER3SE is the one for those who want linear bass). As a result, there’s more of a sub-bass presence on the ER3XR than on the Satsuma, though both lack rumble and texture in the bass notes. Mids are also somewhat different with the ER3XR going for a dry, colorless midrange rendition wheres the Satsuma has some added warmth in the lower-mids. Upper-mids are also less prominent on the Satsuma than the ER3XR, which leads the latter to have more up-front voicing.

Indeed, vocals and instruments are better articulated on the Etymotic whereas the subtleties are less obvious on the Satsuma. Treble is also smoother on the ER3XR though both of these IEMs aren’t what I’d say sparkly in the treble region. Imaging and staging is notably better on the Satsuma (an inherent weakness of the Etymotic design) whereas separation is better on the ER3XR. Same goes for resolution where the ER3XR blows past the Satsuma, being perhaps the most resolving IEMs under $200.

I’d personally pick the ER3XR as long as fit isn’t an issue.
Thanks. I got the ER4XR, which from what I've read is maybe 5% better than the 3. I really like the sound, although regrettably, the fit has been an issue. The foam tips that came with them make my ear canals itchy. The silicon flange things go awfully deep and hurts in one ear. It's fussy regardless, and I don't like the fact that I now worry about whether I'm doing myself harm. Either I get used to it or I look for something else. I get the impression I'd enjoy the Satsumas but--per your comments--they'd be a step down from the ER4XR EXCEPT for comfort. I just might be destined for ChiFi whether or want to or not. There might be an Oxygen in my future...unless I pony up for Holocene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back