Campfire Audio New IEM release
Jan 14, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #1,156 of 1,221
@CFA Chris and Campfire Audio Black Star owners — how much would the Black Star make sense for an ower of Andromeda 2020, Ara (as well as Fir VxV for those of you who might have heard/owned it) for a library mainly consisting of Acoustic/Folk, Classical, Jazz, Soul and 60-70s Rock?

I haven't heard the VxV but BlackStar is miles apart from Andro 2020 and Ara.
Ara is dry, lacks bass body, vocal forward with less forward upper treble. Instruments can be a bit more energetic.
Andro 2020 is smooth, mushy and lacks proper definition. It's stage is good, better than Ara. Bass is big but doesn't move much air.
BlackStar is punchier, rumbly, balanced with more cohesive presentation than both the BA warriors. It's pitch black background gives extra contrast and definition to the notes.
Go for it. You will love the change of presentation and behaviour of notes with the BlackStar.

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #1,157 of 1,221
@CFA Chris and Campfire Audio Black Star owners — how much would the Black Star make sense for an ower of Andromeda 2020, Ara (as well as Fir VxV for those of you who might have heard/owned it) for a library mainly consisting of Acoustic/Folk, Classical, Jazz, Soul and 60-70s Rock?

Black Star is more engaging and forward presence sounding iem than andro 2020.

It has slightly better definition and clarity than andro 2020. Lower frequency has more body but still extremely fast so it doesn’t mask over any regions but add fun energy to the song.

Coming from 64A u12t and andro2020 i am happy with black star a lot more than I thought I would be.

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #1,158 of 1,221
I haven't heard the VxV but BlackStar is miles apart from Andro 2020 and Ara.
Ara is dry, lacks bass body, vocal forward with less forward upper treble. Instruments can be a bit more energetic.
Andro 2020 is smooth, mushy and lacks proper definition. It's stage is good, better than Ara. Bass is big but doesn't move much air.
BlackStar is punchier, rumbly, balanced with more cohesive presentation than both the BA warriors. It's pitch black background gives extra contrast and definition to the notes.
Go for it. You will love the change of presentation and behaviour of notes with the BlackStar.

Black Star is more engaging and forward presence sounding iem than andro 2020.

It has slightly better definition and clarity than andro 2020. Lower frequency has more body but still extremely fast so it doesn’t mask over any regions but add fun energy to the song.

Coming from 64A u12t and andro2020 i am happy with black star a lot more than I thought I would be.
Thanks a lot!!!

Jan 15, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #1,160 of 1,221

The VxV is excellent, with truly great Treble, but it's missing all of the bass. The sticker on the outside scratches easily too. Black star is superior in my opinion.

Jan 15, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #1,162 of 1,221
Pi2AES -> modified Sonic Frontiers SFD-1mk2 -> Schiit Mjolnir 3 -> IEMatch 3.5mm -> Black Star

" "->Nitsch Piety
" "-> Schiit Vali 2++

Qudelix 5K and T71 3.5mm and 4.4mm
Shanling M0 Pro 4.4mm

Shure RMCE-TW2

Kinda loosely 'ranked' in sections.

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #1,163 of 1,221
@suman134 @skfktkwjs @M3NTAL @HiFiWar Thanks again for all your inputs.

Would you mind sharing the source and output type (SE / BAL) you're using with the Black Star?

That would help me — and hopefully others — get an even better idea based off what you already shared.
I am currently running black star on
Ifi diablo with 4.4
fiio btr7 with 4.4
Sabaj d5+ Thx789 with xlr adapter
Qudelix 5k 2.5 adapter

Jan 15, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #1,164 of 1,221
@suman134 @skfktkwjs @M3NTAL @HiFiWar Thanks again for all your inputs.

Would you mind sharing the source and output type (SE / BAL) you're using with the Black Star?

That would help me — and hopefully others — get an even better idea based off what you already shared.
I am using it with Fiio Q15 and Shanling H2. Balanced.

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:25 AM Post #1,165 of 1,221
Pi2AES -> modified Sonic Frontiers SFD-1mk2 -> Schiit Mjolnir 3 -> IEMatch 3.5mm -> Black Star

" "->Nitsch Piety
" "-> Schiit Vali 2++

Qudelix 5K and T71 3.5mm and 4.4mm
Shanling M0 Pro 4.4mm

Shure RMCE-TW2

Kinda loosely 'ranked' in sections.

I am currently running black star on
Ifi diablo with 4.4
fiio btr7 with 4.4
Sabaj d5+ Thx789 with xlr adapter
Qudelix 5k 2.5 adapter

I am using it with Fiio Q15 and Shanling H2. Balanced.

Thanks so much — again!!!

Jan 19, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #1,170 of 1,221
I'm close to pull the trigger on Black Star after reading impressions here vs Andromeda (OG & 2020)

Andromeda OG were my 1st (& last) WOW moment back in 2018 and after having tried hundreds of differents IEMs I never found that special sauce Andro OG offered me back in time, except maybe my Singularity (but different sound signature)

I'm running Andro 2020 & Singularity for couple of months now and I feel that Black Start could be an improved Andromeda OG (better bass & highs) giving me that WOW again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back