Campfire Audio New IEM release
Jun 7, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #586 of 1,221
Would the Andromeda be a good pairing with the Fiio M9 DAP? Apparently it has an output impedance around 2ohms.

Gave it a try, there's a slight hiss, not obnoxious but noticeable, depends on what volume you listen at. I listen around volume 20/120 and it didn't bother me much, but again, noticeable under scrutiny. In terms of OI, I didn't find the effect to be huge compared to the Shanling M2X (same price, output impedance <1ohm single-ended). There definitely wasn't as much warmth in the low-end, delivering a slightly brighter sound than the Shanling. Again, the difference was not huge, as I used an in-line splitter, it was more apparent to me than would be under normal conditions. You will get pleasing results with the M9 but maybe 10% more balance out of a 1-ohm source (this is very subjective).

And just wanted to share my latest photoshoot haha, going against my usual work here, I try to match colour with monochrome, monochrome with colour, but I've just hulked out on this one. Whether you like the sound or not, we can all agree these are some iconic designs :)

DSC08617 (1).jpg

Jun 7, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #587 of 1,221
Ok, just bit the bullet and put in an order for the Ara. This will be my first all-BA IEM I have ever owned. I'm excited.

Curious if anyone has any recommendations for custom sleeve makers for CA IEMs? I'm getting my impressions done next week with the hopes of finding a high-quality maker. Any recommendations would be welcomed. Thanks!

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #588 of 1,221
Ok, just bit the bullet and put in an order for the Ara. This will be my first all-BA IEM I have ever owned. I'm excited.

Curious if anyone has any recommendations for custom sleeve makers for CA IEMs? I'm getting my impressions done next week with the hopes of finding a high-quality maker. Any recommendations would be welcomed. Thanks!

My recommendation, wait to receive Ara and try it with included tips, unless you already assumed they will not work and you need to get custom tips?

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #589 of 1,221
My recommendation, wait to receive Ara and try it with included tips, unless you already assumed they will not work and you need to get custom tips?
This is good advice and I will of course give the stock tips a try before placing an order. I've just used custom tips in the past for for my aging IE8s and loved the snug fit, comfort and isolation, but I got those nearly 15 years ago, so wanted to see if there was any progress in the field.

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #590 of 1,221

I'm personally a fan of Custom Art as they do a really cheap and good custom tip, about $50 USD before shipping and impressions. Adv. also make one that envelops the entire housing which is useful if you find the metal housing sharp, these are around $150, however. As Twister said, definitely check the universal fit first and see how you go as that will better inform on what kind of custom tip you'll want, or if you'll need one at all. Photo below of the difference in fit/design for reference:

DSC08359.jpg

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #591 of 1,221
I'm personally a fan of Custom Art as they do a really cheap and good custom tip, about $50 USD before shipping and impressions. Adv. also make one that envelops the entire housing which is useful if you find the metal housing sharp, these are around $150, however. As Twister said, definitely check the universal fit first and see how you go as that will better inform on what kind of custom tip you'll want, or if you'll need one at all. Photo below of the difference in fit/design for reference:

I concur on Custom Art custom tips.

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #592 of 1,221

DSC08359.jpg
Awesome thanks for the tip (pun intended!) and will take a look.

Jun 8, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #593 of 1,221
Jun 8, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #594 of 1,221
I received the Andromeda MW10 back yesterday.

So here is a quick summary from some shuffling back and forth.

Stock cables:
Ara - smokey litz
MW10 - Superlitz

Ara: More treble extension. More refined. Detailed. Excellent imaging and separation. More reference.
Seems wider.

MW10: More lower mids and bass. Vocals more forward. More a wall of sound effect. More linear.

To the listener the Ara might appear more refined or a MW10 ‘developed’. It has been said that the Ara is a mid way point between the Gold and the MW10.

oh well i will have to get out the Gold again sometime...

They are close.
Very close. The above is from very picky listening.
try the golds with leonidas2.. they reach another level with this

Jun 9, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #596 of 1,221
So excited to be able to continue to experience the Campfire Audio journey! I have just received the Ara!!!!!! Having owned The Andromeda v1, the Orion v1, and the Nova; I am so excited for the Ara. I’m glad to have waited out for this through all the iterations of the Andromeda that have been released over years. Cheers!

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #597 of 1,221
The diffferent variants of Andromedas:
1st Row: Andromeda 2020 & S
2nd Row: Andromeda 2019 & SE: Gold
3rd Row: Andromeda V2 & MW10

The Andromeda 2020 still retains the base signature of the OG Andromeda and there is a better overall balance with tighter bass, more forward midrange and better treble definition. Excellent refresh of the OG Andromeda.

photo_2020-06-09_18-41-43 (2).jpg

Jun 9, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #599 of 1,221
The diffferent variants of Andromedas:
1st Row: Andromeda 2020 & S
2nd Row: Andromeda 2019 & SE: Gold
3rd Row: Andromeda V2 & MW10

The Andromeda 2020 still retains the base signature of the OG Andromeda and there is a better overall balance with tighter bass, more forward midrange and better treble definition. Excellent refresh of the OG Andromeda.

photo_2020-06-09_18-41-43 (2).jpg

Big Furekkusu and concise, helpful impressions as always :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back