Campfire Audio Jupiter needs a DAP recommendation
Dec 20, 2015 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Blaze182

Head-Fier
Hey, 

I just picked up the ALO/Campfire Audio Jupiters, and am looking to pickup a DAP to go with them - the iPhone dumps static/hums.

I love the AK Jr, however, the interface feels a little unrefined for such a premium product. The Mojo is a no-go, as is the PAW, Pono and the Fiio (all have issues for me). 

What's left? I've had a browse but can't seem to find much more save for Sony. Is Cowon any good? (the Plenue D)? 

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 6
Yeah! I have waited this long, haha

Okay well the AR-M2 might be a bit too powerful for it but the sound quality is ridiculous, there will be a younger cheaper, lighter and less hiss prone version on the way! Will post you with an update asap.

How do the Jupiter sound need more impressions on these so called bad boys. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 6
AR-M2 looks great, price not bad either. I'd be content with a slimmed variant - do you know when its expecting to be released?

I'll try give a review, although I'm quite unqualified, I just listen for enjoyment... I'll try tech it up. 

My normal sound gear is: K701's, HD800s, all the B&O In-ear headphones, Ultrasone Signature Pro's and a couple other in ears. 
Source: A very old Bose amplifier, I don't care what anyone says, this thing powers headphones like no tomorrow - probably power a powerstation one day. Xonar Essence ST, iPhone and Fiio Alpen. I had a brief stint with an AK Jr and was very depressed with it, so I didn't keep it. 

The Jupiters...

The Jupiters are monstrously good. When purchasing, I did a direct comparison with the Lyra and there was no comparison for me (If I was using IEMs all day for movies, I'd really consider the Lyra, its warmer, and the bass extends further); the Lyra unquestionably had deeper rolling bass, but the bass offset the mids and highs to the point they felt muffled/stifled. Again, my perspective; but when listening to the Jupiters the bass wasn't absent or problematic, its still there, with great punch, and more controlled/responsive. It doesn't roll as deep as the Lyra, but its in no way lacking. 

I can't stress enough that the bass isn't better or worse on either, they are two different bass types. The Lyra bass is great, I really enjoyed it, as with the Jupiters. Its just a different sound signature that I can't put my finger on. Probably best to fire a Lamborghini down a run way, then a Ferrari, and ask a blind man which sounded better. When you don't know what you're comparing, they're both great, just different. 

The isolation and proper fit with the tips makes the Jupiter a pleasure to listen to (I must say, it took a week or so of swapping tips, I'd find one day my ear was one size, the next, another) What sold me the Jupiters over the Lyra and the other IEM's I was comparing with was the mids and the highs. The highs sing, are analytical but not cold, neither warm, just right for me. When listening to music loud, they don't pierce, either. 

Now on to the best bit - the bit I never cared for, until I met Jupiter. People would say, "what matters in a headphone?" I would say "Bass, sound stage, not a warm signature, more analytical". Never, ever, did I expect to say "Oh my, mids - oh. my. god." Never have vocals sounded so good, never have mids in general even had sound - that's right; mids were deaf before. The musicality, richness and crisp in-your-face yet somehow delicately placed sound is addictive. Its really terribly hard to describe.

Definitely not similar to the K701 or HD800 sound stage, obviously as an IEM they lack the airyness (for lack of any real word). But in terms of positioning, I know the drummer is 6ft to my right, the vocalist is on top of me, and the painist is 4 foot to the left. The imagery is spectacular for an IEM. Everything is close, yes, but its placed, which means a lot to me, given my whole line up is pretty ruthless in terms of sound staging. 

They are analytical, yet musical, but not warm to the point you wonder what the hell you're listening to.

I don't think I've given much info thats very good in this 'review'.. but I love them, for what its worth, I haven't listened to any other headphone since picking them up, I've worn them every day, for hours daily. K701 beside me, HD800 on the floor (someone's going to hate that, its ok, its on a few boxes), the B&O in-ears are all wound and sitting on my bed-side. 

I just don't care any more, everything sounds really nice through them, you can play them loud without fatiguing literally all day. I do. 9am till 5pm. Then 7pm to 9pm. I would sleep with them if I wasn't worried about necking myself in my sleep... or wrecking that beautiful cable. 

One thing does concern me a little though, the cable, even if I hang it from one end and let it 'unwind' ALWAYS re-coils/twists, no matter how damn straight I make it, it will twist. I don't know why. 

Jan 30, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 6
My gosh man you sound like you're in love and you've only gone and sold me on the damn things now! 

All I can say is thank you I actually enjoyed reading your review and it meant I didn't have to scroll down a thousand words just to find out how they sound. One of the things that concerned me was the mids and sub bass but from your impressions I think I can rest assured! 

Have no date in line yet but as soon as I hear a pin drop I'll let you know. The player will be demoing at the Bristol Show in February so I can't imagine it is too far from a full launch, honestly if it sounds as good as the M2 it will be more than worth it. 

I am now waiting to purchase the Jupiter if my other half lets me lol, also wait until the cable goes if it ever does upgrade that to the Super BaX when it's released and then get some sung fit custom ear tips and I think that will be me done for at least 6 months hahah. Hopefully a lot longer than that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back