Campfire Audio Chromatic Series
Apr 21, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #451 of 462
I tried out all the Cascara, Ponderosa, Bonneville and the Blackstar recently. Everything was too hot for me except the Cascara and the Blackstar. I thought the Bonneville sounded really anemic which was confusing considering what I had read so far about it. I thought maybe my source was broken so I switched it out. Didn't make a difference.

Switching out to Sennheiser or other IEMs I have, the mid suck out was really apparent on the Cascara for me. Otherwise it's tuning I liked the most out of all CIEMs CFA have offered. Not enough for me to want to buy it though. Good only for some material I listen to. Some of the really bass heavy material even ended up not having enough mids.

Ponderosa was interesting but quite lean compared to some other BAs that I already own or have owned. I found myself liking certain things but I knew there was a lot of low end missing.

Finally I tried the Blackstar which regretably is not available as a custom. It had more mids and more low end. Enough that I think I wouldn't find it fatiguing long term. Tried a bunch of different material and didn't feel like I was missing anything. Almost all universal tips tend to irritate my ears now after a couple decades without much issue. So probably won't be picking this one up.

Bumping up the volume a bit more helped but that made them too hot for my hearing. Isolation seemed very good and I couldn't seem to find a seal issue.
Bonneville being anemic is certainly strange. My set has a wide, powerful, all-encompassing, mid-bass/lower mid presence. I think campfire dips the mid-mids to compensate, with a steeper rise to upper-mids. But I'm not sure this is a suck-out. I listen to a lot of rock on the Cascaras, for example, and mid instruments and vocals sound vivid and clear. Yes not meaty, which perhaps you like, but I would never say anemic. Wondering where you heard these sets?

Apr 21, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #452 of 462
I put an order for the Supermoon last week on an official CFA retailer in Europe. For some reason, they sent me the Bonneville instead... I could keep the Bonneville considering a got it for the price of the SM, but it really isn't my cup of tea.

However, I'm concerned about the fit on this IEM. The shell is fine but the nozzle goes way to deep and is quite wide. They definitely aren't comfortable for my ear canals and I worry it will be the same on the Supermoon. I've tried the Dunu S&S small size (which are quite small afaik) and the Penon Liqueur small so far and neither are anywhere near comfortable. I have some SS SpinFits arriving tuesday that I will also try before sending the Bonneville back. I compared the nozzle with my S12 pro and they look very close in diameter. I use the S&S medium on those and have a perfect fit there.

From what I read on here, the fit on the Boneville and the SM should be quite similar. I'm wondering if I should just outright return this and either go custom or look elsewhere

Apr 21, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #453 of 462
I put an order for the Supermoon last week on an official CFA retailer in Europe. For some reason, they sent me the Bonneville instead... I could keep the Bonneville considering a got it for the price of the SM, but it really isn't my cup of tea.

However, I'm concerned about the fit on this IEM. The shell is fine but the nozzle goes way to deep and is quite wide. They definitely aren't comfortable for my ear canals and I worry it will be the same on the Supermoon. I've tried the Dunu S&S small size (which are quite small afaik) and the Penon Liqueur small so far and neither are anywhere near comfortable. I have some SS SpinFits arriving tuesday that I will also try before sending the Bonneville back. I compared the nozzle with my S12 pro and they look very close in diameter. I use the S&S medium on those and have a perfect fit there.

From what I read on here, the fit on the Boneville and the SM should be quite similar. I'm wondering if I should just outright return this and either go custom or look elsewhere
The supermoon are the best fitting iems I’ve tried only the ie600 beat them for me.
Sound great also

Apr 21, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #454 of 462
The supermoon are the best fitting iems I’ve tried
Same here. Supermoon I can wear all day. Bonneville are comfy / fine, but not to the same extent. As I have both I just took some quick shots to compare. Nozzle width on both appear identical to me. Bonneville slightly deeper.

Supermoon left, Bonneville right.

IMG_6242.jpeg

IMG_6243.jpeg

IMG_6252.jpeg

IMG_6244.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6244.jpeg
    IMG_6244.jpeg
    923.6 KB · Views: 0
Apr 21, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #455 of 462
Did you try the supermoon ?

Yes. It was much too hot for me around 8khz without EQ.

Bonneville being anemic is certainly strange. My set has a wide, powerful, all-encompassing, mid-bass/lower mid presence. I think campfire dips the mid-mids to compensate, with a steeper rise to upper-mids. But I'm not sure this is a suck-out. I listen to a lot of rock on the Cascaras, for example, and mid instruments and vocals sound vivid and clear. Yes not meaty, which perhaps you like, but I would never say anemic. Wondering where you heard these sets?

I tried these at Headphone Bar in Vancouver. I definitely wasn't expecting the Bonneville to sound like it did. The Cascara definitely sounded U or V shaped to me which I was expecting. I am sensitive to treble though so it might sound way more U or V shaped to me than you. It did have some bottom end though unlike the Bonneville which sounded more like an all BA then a hybrid. I didn't hear a very forward mid range which the headfonics review mentions. The Blackstar sounded way more balanced with full mids to me.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #456 of 462
Does anyone experience some harsh on bonneville. Just received it today. It was OK until I played some Arianna Grande track in Enternal Sunshine albums. Some how the high mid got really harsh and straight forward? I tested with several songs and i found that some track that have high tone thin vocal have this issue. Does anybody encounteredthe same?. My source is Ibasso Dx220 Max with low gain

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #457 of 462
Same here. Supermoon I can wear all day. Bonneville are comfy / fine, but not to the same extent. As I have both I just took some quick shots to compare. Nozzle width on both appear identical to me. Bonneville slightly deeper.

Supermoon left, Bonneville right.

Thanks for the comparison shots. Although similar, the SM does appear to be less aggressive in nozzle length. The angle of the nozzle, at least on the pictures, look slightly different as well.

I need to get in contact with the sellers that sent me the Bonneville by mistake and will give the Supermoon a try.

Edit: What tips are those on your Supermoon?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #458 of 462
Does anyone experience some harsh on bonneville. Just received it today. It was OK until I played some Arianna Grande track in Enternal Sunshine albums. Some how the high mid got really harsh and straight forward? I tested with several songs and i found that some track that have high tone thin vocal have this issue. Does anybody encounteredthe same?. My source is Ibasso Dx220 Max with low gain
It shouldn't be a surprise that some songs are hot-sounding. In the past 5-10 years, recording engineers have taken it upon themselves to record songs at the loudest possible level, and even allow clipping. They assume so many people are just streaming at 128-256K and listeners don't have discerning ears to hear bad recordings. It isn't the earphone's fault for exposing bad or uber-loud recordings.

Apr 22, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #459 of 462
Apr 23, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #461 of 462

The least fatiguing was the Blackstar so far for me. Cascara second least. Ponderosa and Bonneville both had a lot more up top. Bonnevilles seemed off to me so maybe a bad set. I find in general that CFA tuning is not as versatile as I'd like. Maybe the material you're listening to is hitting a peak in frequency response

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #462 of 462
Bonneville massaging my ears with tasty bass from Ariana's thank u, next album :)

Zero sibilance and harshness with plenty of smooth and refined treble presence

IMG_9976.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back