Campfire Andromeda bass cracking sound on some songs at 70% volume on Spotify Stream with iPhone. Is my setup not suitable for this earphone, or do I have a faulty unit?
Jul 31, 2023 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

canzz

New Head-Fier
This is my first IEM at this price point and I am very surprised and upset to hear bass cracking sound on some songs while testing. Although Andromeda's sound is lovely and far superior than any earphone I owned, I never really heard a bass cracking sound on such volumes on Spotify with KZ-AS10 or iBasso IT01. I listen with iPhone with earphone connector on Spotify with mild V-shaped equalizer setting
Couple Songs that bass cracking is quite noticeable right from the start on 65-70% volume are;
  1. Geju - Farfalle su vacanza
  2. MNKYBSNSS - You - Bulbmakers Remix
I listen to many genres but probably more so Rap and Electronic music like above. This was a birthday gift to me. Apparently sticker on the box was open when it arrived but I didn't mind, now im thinking if it could be a faulty unit. Both earpiece being faulty also doesn't make so much sense to me but I am not experienced by any means so wanted to hear your opinion before returning.

Jul 31, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 13
I'm assuming you've tried with another set and aren't having similar issues there? I listened to both songs (via YouTube, so questionable quality) with a couple different sets and didn't hear any issues. Try with a different source?

Jul 31, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 13
I'm assuming you've tried with another set and aren't having similar issues there? I listened to both songs (via YouTube, so questionable quality) with a couple different sets and didn't hear any issues. Try with a different source?
I am feeling ashamed about this now but no I have not tried it until you asked I got the earphone very recently. I was simply thinking how can IT01 or AS10 won't crack but Andromeda does... Now that I tested it seem only on the phone only Andromeda cracks, and even If I turn off the EQ setting it still does, however on the computer it sounds fine. I am trying to understand why it can be like this

Jul 31, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 13
The Apple dongle isn't as amazing as people make it out to be, but I don't think the Andromeda is a big enough load to be causing issues. That said, if it works on the computer but not the dongle... It's the dongle.

Jul 31, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 13
The Apple dongle isn't as amazing as people make it out to be, but I don't think the Andromeda is a big enough load to be causing issues. That said, if it works on the computer but not the dongle... It's the dongle.
Once again you are right it seems. I never thought apple dongle is good in any way but didn't anticipate it could affect this much. Youtube on the phone cracks, not on the computer.. It must be the dongle!! Are there better dongles? I dont know

Jul 31, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 13
Tons of them. Lots and lots of options if you're sticking with IEMs (much easier to drive), fewer if you're also using harder to drive full size headphones like planars, but they're out there.

What's your budget?

Jul 31, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 13
Aug 1, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #10 of 13
Tons of them. Lots and lots of options if you're sticking with IEMs (much easier to drive), fewer if you're also using harder to drive full size headphones like planars, but they're out there.

What's your budget?
You have been super helpful thank you! On the computer Andromeda sounds beautiful, however, im aftaid it is not the sound signature I love too much, highs are a little stronger than I like and the bass althoogh its very clear and tight, sub bass seem to be less than how I like. Im considering to get a hybrid like Mammoth for half the price. I wonder your opinion on this

Aug 1, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #11 of 13
You have been super helpful thank you! On the computer Andromeda sounds beautiful, however, im aftaid it is not the sound signature I love too much, highs are a little stronger than I like and the bass althoogh its very clear and tight, sub bass seem to be less than how I like. Im considering to get a hybrid like Mammoth for half the price. I wonder your opinion on this
A DD is a good idea for deeper, fuller bass (in most cases). I haven't personally heard the Mammoth so can't speak to it specifically, but almost all my favorites are hybrids.

Aug 1, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #12 of 13
A DD is a good idea for deeper, fuller bass (in most cases). I haven't personally heard the Mammoth so can't speak to it specifically, but almost all my favorites are hybrids.
Happy to hear this, thank you. I think I am leaning towards Mammoth now, I wonder if it would perform better or worse with the phone compared to Andromeda, regardless im willing to get whatever dongle/accesorie to make it work. Also, I wonder if I can make it bluetooth somehow for more active days

Aug 1, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #13 of 13
Happy to hear this, thank you. I think I am leaning towards Mammoth now, I wonder if it would perform better or worse with the phone compared to Andromeda, regardless im willing to get whatever dongle/accesorie to make it work. Also, I wonder if I can make it bluetooth somehow for more active days
Yep, there are lots of options for Bluetooth conversion - everything from the TRN ear hooks for $20+; they aren't horrible for the money, but have a noticable hiss and not great battery life. The Fiio UTWS3 is solid, definitely a step up, but could have more power and still has a tiny bit of hiss with more sensitive IEMs. Specs on the UTWS5 suggest it has more power and less (or no) hiss, but I haven't heard a pair yet.

So far as working with the phone, there are dongles that would probably be an improvement over the Apple thing for like $30-50 all the way up in to the thousands (as with everything else in this hobby). I've got a couple of those little $10 pigtail DACs for phone calls scattered around just in case, but my favorite portable right now is definitely the Topping G5, which can be used as a USB DAC/amp or via Bluetooth. It runs around $300 new, $200 used and is quite large (a little bigger and heavier than my phone, even), but the sound is very clean and there's plenty of power - enough to run even more demanding full size planar headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back