Camera as a Birthday Present (Part 2) New info!
Nov 10, 2006 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Gigabomber

500+ Head-Fier
So we went to Costco and I walked up to a rack of cameras and just looked around like I was just browsing the syles curiously and managed to uncover that she wants. Using some of the vocabulary found here (Dpreview): an SLR with a fast shutter speed (with a good burst, or continuous picture taking capability), manual aperture and shutter settings with aperture and shutter priority, a decent zoom, and the ability to manually focus; Lens threading (changeable lenses) would be ideal as well (or at least a good zoom).

She even spoke of our old film camera, so I guess she wants - more or less- the same things I do. We currently own a Cannon Powershot S50, and it's killing us both.

I put these into Dpreview.com and came up with the Cannon Rebel XT, which she spotted at Costco locked in a case and said this is like what she wanted, so I know I am on the right track.

I suppose the new Nikon D40 would fit into this category for the Nikon D50 does.

Now that the search has narrowed, can you folks give me a best bang for my buck in this type of field? (trying to keep the price friendly for our somewhat limited use of said camera)

Nov 10, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 9
In my opinion, the Nikon D50 will give you the most performance for your money. It has almost the same amount of features as the D70/D70S, sacrifices very little if any performance despite it's $200 lower price than the D70S, and is easy to use with the same excellent ergonomics as the D70S. In fact my D70 is getting quite long in the tooth and I'm thinking of purchasing the D50 to tide me over until the D80 prices drop in about a year. I'm not sure how far your mom wants to get back into photography but if she's serious, you might be better off just purchasing a body only D50 and ordering (Or backordering, I should say) the 18-200mm VR Nikkor. This lens, like the D50, is also a great bargain if you can get it at the MSRP, and will allow you to shoot some really nice shots without having to carry multiple primes.

Keep in mind though, I'm a bit biased towards Nikon so you might want to also wait for some opinions from some Canon owners. I don't really care for Canon cameras anymore since they release a new model every few days or so (An exaggeration of course, but they do come out with new releases quite often. Making their "older" models, the one you've just bought, undesirable and unwanted). Like I said though, I'm obviously biased against Canon so I would wait for some opinions from people who shoot with Canon (Though I don't believe Canon really has a competitor for the D50).

Nov 11, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 9
Also remember that the D40 has some features moved around or missing (for ex. the ISO button is gone, so is the top lcd, and the MF/AF switch on body) in addition to missing the required gearing to drive certain Nikon lenses. Basically it's built for people who wouldn't miss those features in the first place. But given your limited use of the camera, it would seem the D40 was meant for you! An SLR with just enough SLR bits to be a fully-fledged SLR while keeping cost down.

Nov 11, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 9
although i love my d50, i'm not sure if i can recommend it if your mom is looking for something simpler to use. the d40 is supposed to have reduced functionality, simplified button layout and hence easier to use for consumer photographers and yet achieve the picture quality of a slr with interchangeable lenses. if you can wait, the d40 might be the way to go. if your mom isn't afraid of the all of the buttons and functions, the d50 is a great bargain. it has the same sensor as the d70/70s and lower noise at higher iso.

on the canon side, the XT is a great camera. it's more like a normal dslr and all of the functions may scare a typical consumer off. i think that either brand is great and both brands have great lenses. you can't go wrong either way.

Nov 11, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 9
Meh, these DSLRs have 'auto' functions, and different priority modes. They can be as easy or as difficult to use as you want them to be.

A D50 even with the kit lens will be quite sufficient, and once (or if) she gets used to a DSLR, better lenses can be invested.

I would possibly go for a Nikon D50 body + Nikon 18-70 kit lens (d70 kit), and perhaps a 70-300 if you want telephoto.

Nov 11, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 9
Either go with a Nikon D50 or a Rebel XT. Both will fit the bill and aren't terribly difficult to use. I'm about the pull the trigger on an XT myself. Keep in mind they both run about the same price but the XT carries 8.0 megapixels whereas the D50 only has 6.1. Yeah, yeah, we all know megapixels aren't the most important but if both cameras are basically equal as far as quality is concerned, might as well get the most for your buck.

Nov 11, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #7 of 9
My mother works for a company that does business with Sears and they are having a special 3 hour sale this weekend and she actually deals with them so she (and her family) get to go.

I need to know which of these you'd pick for her (and which lens if necessary).

Here is a more direct link to a comparison page

Thanks for all the help!

Nov 11, 2006 at 9:57 AM Post #8 of 9
I just spent a bunch of hours looking over at Dpreview and the Nikon seems to be pulling way ahead in terms of function for the money. The standard lenses that come with the Cannon Rebels' are apparently horrible so the Nikon is the clear leader in terms of value.

Many people seem to say that it also has a good feeling to hold onto and have few complaints, and I remember holding the Cannons does feel pretty horrible to me.

Unfortunately it looks like the Nikon is online order only, so it would still be cheaper than buying a Cannon 350 with the discount.

Nikon 619 (tentative pricing)
Sony 719 (tentative pricing)
Canon Rebel XT 819 (tentative pricing)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back