Cambridge Soundworks Extreme 2.1
Feb 23, 2012 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

davidzvi

Head-Fier
I've only seen a few posts about these.  Anyone know how they compare to something like the Swan M50's?  I can actually get a set of the CSW for less than the Swan's.

http://store.cambridgesoundworks.com/dp/B004GV0C16

I've already tried and returned:
Swan D1010 IV
Audio Engine A5

Both were just to big and in my face.  I found the AE A5's were actually giving me a headache.  Right now I have a set of AE A2's that I had paired with a Nuforce W-1 sub/extender.  I thought I had found the perfect setup.  But the W-1 died in about a week.
frown.gif

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 7
if you want a 2.1 set than also look at the edifier sets , the s530 etc , or what about a passive set-up I think youd be much better of with 2 bookshelf speakers and an amp.

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #3 of 7
Sadly the s530's don't seem to be available in the US, only the s330 and s730.  I'm not sure the s330 would be what I'm looking for and the s730 would be almost $200 more than the Extremes.  I looked at the s530 on the international site and given the prices of the s330 / s730 it seems the s530 have been a good option.

I have considered a passive setup.  But the prices would be close.

Dayton Audio SUB-80 8" HT Series 80 Watt Powered Subwoofer - $80
Dayton Audio APA150 150W Power Amplifier for $130
A pair of Sats?  $50 - $200?  Something with a 4" or less mid to keep the size down.

So I could easily be around $200 - $400.

Size has been the big problem.  Both of the larger powered speaker options I've tried I have not enjoyed.  Most bookshelf sets I have looked at would be about the same size as the ones I returned for being too larger or are too expensive. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:

I did/have considered just adding the Dayton sub-80 to AudioEngine A2's that I have.  But since I just got the A2's I'm still in the return window for them.  Don't know anything about those Samson's, Ill have to look into those more.

The Cambridge Audio Minx, Polk Audio TL2, and Polk Audio RM6751 prices are per speaker, so $100 - $200 for pairs.  Again pushing that $250-350 total with the Amp and Sub.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 7
The samson's are monitors the a2's are multi-media speakers, the a2's have a mid bass boost at about 200hz and rolled off treble the samsons are pretty netruel sounding, also the samsons sound like bigger speakers and have really good soundstage (off-axis) responce , with the a2's unless you position them properly they sound a bit boxy. I've not compared them directly but for the money the samsons are excellent, clean, clear and quite netruel and with good detail way more sound quality than what you would expect for a small pair of $100 speakers. You should definitely give them a try see if any resellers of them will give you a return window then you can compare them directly.

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 7
Update:

Well I tried out the Extreme 2.1.  They are very nice and well built. 

Unfortunately I encountered what seems to be a known issue.  Unless the audio source was set to 100% there was a little hiss.  I do have a LOT of electronics in my office (2-4 computers and laptops, multiple printers, external storage arrays, ......).  But this creates a situation were they go from I can't hear it to loader than I want most of the time.

Don't get me wrong, they sounded great.  And if I was in a more controlled environment they would be great. 

I ended up keeping the AudioEngine A2's and adding a Dayton Audio SUB-80 8" HT Series 80 Watt Powered Subwoofer. 

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-631

Users who are viewing this thread

Back