Cambridge DACMagic, anyone?
Jun 2, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #902 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he's talking about the outputs
wink.gif

Lol
My bad. I meant the RCA and XLR outputs.

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #903 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dat_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My DacMagic just arrived at my local audio store! My second home rig will be complete! I am excited to try this bad boy our with my AudioTailor Jade and my DT990/600s tonight!

Hey Dat_dude. Hope you have fun with your new DAC!
The DacMagic made a huge difference to my rig and brings
new insights all the time.

Have a good one
beerchug.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #904 of 920
Can someone tell me if DacMagic is a truly balanced DAC? Or is it single ended with something like phase-splitter for its balanced output? Thanks.

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #906 of 920
Well, had my Dacmagic hooked to my computer for months and after the first hooked it to a backup old Sony cd player with optical out only. Always assumed my older Musical Fidelity xdac with separate power supply kicked on it($1000. and $500.-total $1500. in 2005). Finally took apart both systems and fed them into my Zana Duex to the HD800 to see if i wanted to move things around a bit....i don't use the usb much anymore unless i am playing thru the A5 speakers due to the SQ of the usb input. Well back to the story, amazingly enough, the Dacmagic sounded fuller, had much better body, just the detail(it seemed) and better bass. Couldn't believe it as i toggled back and forth on identical cds with matching players.

Just thought i'd report it over here.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #907 of 920
Before I shell out my hard earned money yet again on another cables, will the sound quality improve if I use the balanced out vs. RCA out? I always though balanced are only good for longer distance.

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #908 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by DVDIT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before I shell out my hard earned money yet again on another cables, will the sound quality improve if I use the balanced out vs. RCA out? I always though balanced are only good for longer distance.

If you have a balanced amp then by all means go with balanced cables.

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #909 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a balanced amp then by all means go with balanced cables.

My pre/pro has balanced input. I do have and use RCA cables now. I am only going to switch the RCA for balanced if there is an improvement in sound quality with Dacmagic using the balanced out over the RCA out.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #910 of 920
Unfortunately you will probably have to try them to know for sure.
The DacMagic is a balanced design which would usually mean it is superior with its balanced outputs. But if you are connecting to a single ended pre/pro then that balanced topology is being knocked back down to single ended in either the DacMagic when using single ended cables or in the pre/pro when using balanced.
Either way is a compromise and there probably isnt a way to know which is better without trying it out.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #911 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Champ04 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately you will probably have to try them to know for sure.
The DacMagic is a balanced design which would usually mean it is superior with its balanced outputs. But if you are connecting to a single ended pre/pro then that balanced topology is being knocked back down to single ended in either the DacMagic when using single ended cables or in the pre/pro when using balanced.
Either way is a compromise and there probably isnt a way to know which is better without trying it out.

Thanks. My pre/pro is the Onkyo PR-SC886. I will try to find out that info.

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #913 of 920
I just posted this in the VLab thread:

Alright gents (and gals), only 61 pages to go through - most of which are littered with techno-jargon that's out of my range.

I'm sure this has been asked about a dozen times but can someone who has been following this monster thread sum up this dac?

What's the history? Issues? Praise? Naysayers? We need a summary!

And, if it's not so much to ask, could the original poster of this thread edit his first post (and the title), to post the summary?

It would be a great service to all us head-fi addicts.

Much obliged!

Jun 16, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #915 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John Atkinson of Stereophile measured the DACMagic and reported his findings in this month's magazine. He found that the jitter introduced by the USB input was abysmal, but that otherwise the measurements were exemplary.

I fully support subjective assessments of a component, but not blind ignorance of its measured performance, and particularly jitter in digital components. I would not use the USB of this or any other DAC without specification of its jitter via that input.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/usb-jitter-pc-psu-vs-battery-article-429634/

As long as you use a laptop running from its battery the jitter is as low as with any other connection option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back