Cambridge DACMagic, anyone?
Mar 19, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #811 of 920
I've put a lot of hours on it and it really sounds good. The bass is really where it shines, its tight and extends very well. The next would be soundstage and realism. Micro details are not as easy to pick out compared to say the EMU 0404, but the sound is much more refined and musical in comparison, the 0404 was just too critical and detail crazy for enjoying music, although it makes total sense if you are a recording artist.

I havent heard the PS Audio DAC so I can't comment on that. But I am fairly certain that for 400 bucks, the Dacmagic is a good buy. I am not sure if the people who are unimpressed with it either have a higher end source that I haven't heard, or have not really let the the Dacmagic settle down. The Stello and PS Audio are close to twice the price if you factor shipping and handling (mine was 369 with free shipping when i got it)

I am really looking forward to people's comments after they hear a fully burnt in Dacmagic at CanJam and maybe get a chance to compare it directly with some of the other DAC's.

Mar 26, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #812 of 920
I'm considering a DACMagic to enable me to use my PC with my Gilmore Lite amp.

My main source is a Arcam CD73 CDP. As the amp only has one set of analogue inputs I would have to use the dacmagic in place of the Arcam CDP DAC - Would this be an upgrade at all?

Thanks

Mar 27, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #813 of 920
Mar 28, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #814 of 920
I just returned from my local HI-FI shop and I have now joined the DACmadgic camp. I chose the DACmadgic as my source because at this price it was the only DAC with balanced and digial outputs.

I will be using the digital out to transfer the signal from a marantz 5001 cd player near my headphone amp to my main AV reciever across the room. I will be using the digital ins to remove an unbalanced audio run of 25 feet from my av reciever into my headphone amp to a short 1 foot run from the dac to amp.

I cant wait to hook this DAC up and put some time in this weekend listening to some tunes and watch a few movies.

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #815 of 920
maybe it's in my head but the xlr outputs sound better than the rcas?

Apr 1, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #817 of 920
I assume you mean you'll pay them back! Maybe if I can have a good listen first :wink:

People might want to know where they'd have to ship it to.

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #819 of 920
Anyone think a dacmagic and one of these would be a good option for accessing all those american jazz stations on the internet?

revo_mondo_wifi_gross_p1.jpg

Apr 1, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #820 of 920
I originally had a faulty dacmagic (intermittantly worked) and got a new one today.

I've got this problem though with the last one and the new one, so its not the DacMagic but something computer oriented.

Its connected via USB (might go coaxial/optical if I keep it, have both on the motherboard) and after maybe 20 mins the music playback stops. I have iTunes open, on repeat to burn it in. I come back, and its maybe half way through a song and its like its paused there. When you go to a new track, it doesnt work. Only closing iTunes and opening again works. This happens on both the laptop and my main pc.

When you look at the windows volume control, its stuck at some value - as if the audio output device has crashed.

Anyone have any ideas?

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #821 of 920
Just got this. My second DAC. First was a Blue Circle Thingee that was thin, hollow, crap.

This kills it. Already. Knew it within 10 seconds of the first song played (yes really).

Looks great ontop of my azur 640a v2 amp.
atsmile.gif

Time to rediscover my music again....excuse me....
L3000.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #822 of 920
About 50+ hours on mine so far and it's really starting to shine.

It's timbre is similar to other Cambridge products. I like the choice of filters and phase in fine tuning my rig. The unit appears to have much more gain than my 840C though, which is a perfect match for my goldpoint pre. My only complaint, and I'm not even sure if it's a real complaint, there appears to be a little too much bass. I may have to experiment with the bass traps in here or tweak my crossovers to compensate. Otherwise, no complaints at all. And for only $400, IMO it's a steal.

Apr 5, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #823 of 920
I just spent an hour typing up a first ever internet forum post because I was keen to make a good first impression with my chosen forum for debut. It didn't work I hope this one does.

I bought the dacmagic, K701 and Chord Company cable yesterday and am still burning them in.

Apr 5, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #824 of 920
I believe the first post did not work because I had a browser chock full of Head - fi tabs. I also have Senn 650 - 595, MF xvcanv3 + power supply, Pioneer DV 989Avi aka 79avi in the US. The Pioneer is a 10kg multiformat player top of the line recently superceded. I would have been content - happy if the dacmagic equalled the pioneer and thrilled if it was better. The k701 sounds different - I was thinking of 595 + more detail. Now I realise what the Senn signature is. k701 was shockingly bad at first but after some burn in it starting to sound NICE. Spent all last week doing an IC cable shoot-out as I just realised they make a BIG difference to sound - those crazy people weren't imagining things.

Apr 5, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #825 of 920
It's not clear from the above whether you think the DACMagic is an improvement over your Pioneer.

Any other comments / review on the DAC would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back