Cambridge DACMagic, anyone?
Feb 2, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #661 of 920
I may be able to audition this tonight
smily_headphones1.gif
. I am getting a sample unit probably to try out at home. I don´t know how much burnin it has though... I have read that it´s not so good with PRaT but it gets better with burn in?

Just so I know when I get it and find it to laid back
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #662 of 920
I would not really call the DM laid back but rather smooth. Make sure what you post your findings.
Do you have any reference material?

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #663 of 920
Elite PRO and some Denon stereos apart from my brothers all out 3000$+ setup. But I haven´t used my gear on his.

I am comparing it to the Elite PRO currently. I am not impressed at all honestly. The sound is thin and lacks bottom end. It´s as you say smooth and the sound is surely clean. Those that thinks the Ultrasone PRO 900 is bass heavy would probably love this though
smily_headphones1.gif
... Admittedly I just have some HAMA interconnect that may handicap it some. Anyone have some recommendations for some good copper based I suppose... Doesn´t need to be long at all 50 cms more then enough.

I got a demo unit so don´t know how much it has run but will let it burn in as much as I can in the 3 days I have to decide. It feels like a downgrade so far overall I must say
frown.gif
. I don´t know if I have the audio set up right though. I run through creative media source 5. Maybe you need to use some ASIO4ALL to get bit matched with X-Fi Elite PRO?

I have problem with the volume control the only way I have to reduce volume currently is via the amplifier.

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #664 of 920
Funny, it definitely felt so much fuller in bass compared to the EMU 0202 and 0404 and it came out clearer and it finally made my Inifinity P362 woofers do some good work. Strange that you would say it sounds thin and lacks bottom end. I would call it laid back and a bit dull, but that definintely helps a lot of genre's of music, espcially since a lot of modern music is a little too energetic on a bright fast system (atleast for me).

Heard Diana Kralls "Temptation" yesterday, and went WOW! THe laid back nature suits such music perfectly. But I am almost certain that a PSU upgrade can help speed things up a bit. Maybe once Cambridge sorts out the production and makes it readily available, we'll have a solution (like some one said, a GLITE like PSU for this would look fantastic)

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #665 of 920
Bass is something that maybe comes with burnin? It´s really obvious here... However I may have something set up wrong. I got ASIO4all to work with Foobar though did really sound the same.

I am running linear currently and asio4all with foobar. it seems like coaxial is the way to go since you are limited to 16-bit with USB?

btw every cd or mp3 or whatever I play read out 44 kb on the dacmagic. I haven´t found anywhere in XP where I can change the bit rate when running bit matched weither I ran via USB or via my x-fi card. Maybe not necessary? Going to try windows 7 next.

edit: yes 96 kb available in 7
smily_headphones1.gif
btw should the volume control really work in vista?

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #666 of 920
I've been using the Dacmagic for some time, I'm using the Marantz CD63 Mk3 KIsig as a transport. I'm wondering which is the prefered filter/phase selection from those who own one? BTW for or me its the min setting.

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #667 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass is something that maybe comes with burnin? It´s really obvious here... However I may have something set up wrong. I got ASIO4all to work with Foobar though did really sound the same.

I am running linear currently and asio4all with foobar. it seems like coaxial is the way to go since you are limited to 16-bit with USB?

btw every cd or mp3 or whatever I play read out 44 kb on the dacmagic. I haven´t found anywhere in XP where I can change the bit rate when running bit matched weither I ran via USB or via my x-fi card. Maybe not necessary? Going to try windows 7 next.

edit: yes 96 kb available in 7
smily_headphones1.gif
btw should the volume control really work in vista?

CDs are 16bit/44khz. No problem there. I suggest you set up ASIO, Kernel Streaming or Wasapi the way it should with your X-FI doing bit-perfect output. Do a search. Lots of tutorials here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rain_uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using the Dacmagic for some time, I'm using the Marantz CD63 Mk3 KIsig as a transport. I'm wondering which is the prefered filter/phase selection from those who own one? BTW for or me its the min setting.

To be honest I only hear the difference between the linear and min. The difference is very small and I am also not able to tell you what steep should sound like. Could be a transport thing as I have read people using different filters for different transports but I can't hear it.
I just keep it at linear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #668 of 920
Well I run a lot of FLAC and very high bit rates mp3. It´s such a hazzle with cds nowadays.

Otherwise for cds is the optimal bit rate actually 16bit/44 not 24 bit 96 for example? I can´t say I hear that much difference. It´s a lot to take in now though
smily_headphones1.gif

One bummer though is that it has male balanced ports and my balanced Denons aren´t homo
frown.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #669 of 920
The balanced XLR outputs are for plugging into a balanced amp, not directly to headphones.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #671 of 920
There is no control on the device. It would have to be software controlled in the computer.

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #672 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no control on the device. It would have to be software controlled in the computer.

Plus if you have an amp you're better of using a single end to that amp (unless of course you have a balanced amp
smily_headphones1.gif
). As the source is important, but so is how well you're headphones are driven (which has nothing to do with how loud they can go).

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #673 of 920
Hi, how is dacmagic compare with zero+ dac? anyone have both these dac?

Feb 8, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #675 of 920
seeing that I am not even sure it beats the elite PRO no
wink.gif
... Very very similar. Yes I love my Elite PRO but I don´t want to believe that is that great of a source
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back