Cambridge DACMagic, anyone?
Jan 15, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #646 of 920
Wow, well, I'm glad to say that I just plug in my device and select the output whether USB or Optical and am good to go. Perhaps Windows 7 will help you guys out.

Jan 15, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #647 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by schalliol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, well, I'm glad to say that I just plug in my device and select the output whether USB or Optical and am good to go. Perhaps Windows 7 will help you guys out.

^X2

Jan 15, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #648 of 920
Your link does lead to the Winamp instructions but the link to download the exe leads to the file I have already downloaded and installed.

To be sure I downloaded again "ASIO4ALL_2_9_English.exe" and installed again, after first having uninstalled the earlier installation and turning off my antivirus then rebooting.

All that happens is the same as before. No control panel as expected from the instructions i.e. "After installation you find on your desktop a link to the ASIO4ALL manual (pdf format) and the ASIO4ALL control-panel." The pdf icon is on the desktop but not the control panel icon.

Any advice please?

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #649 of 920
Ah no, the page is old and refers to the older release for ASIO4all. I gave you that link hoping you can find out where to set output for ASIO4all in winamp.

If you have installed ASIO in winamp and installed ASIO4all, all you have to do is go to winamp output and set it to ASIO4all. After this if you play a file, you should see the green ASIO4all icon on your taskbar.

Jan 16, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #650 of 920
When you install Asio4all there is an option to install Off-Line settings. It isn't marked by default. Do that. Then you will have a link in the install folder for asio settings. You still need to have the asio plugin for whatever software you use.

Also make sure you check the driver settings and windows playback settings. I still think you may not be outputting PCM audio.

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #651 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still think you may not be outputting PCM audio.

Why do you not think I am not outputting PCM. These are the file info. stats from tracks that have played, from my laptop, when 44.1 detected by DacMagic; these tracks are also playing when I connect the DacMagic to my Vista desktop machine:-

MP3 that has played via DacMagic, when 44.1 detected

Payload Size: 4035170 bytes
Header found at: 5534 bytes
Encoder Delay:528, Zero Padding: 2268
Length: 151 Seconds
MPEG-1 layer 3
213kbit (VBR) 5789 frames
44100Hz Stereo
CRC: No, Copyrighted: No
Original: No, Emphasis: None

A flac ripped in Winamp

Length:204 seconds
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 16
Sample Rate: 44100Hz
File size: 16882727 bytes
Average bitrate: 662bps
Compression Ratio: 46%

BTW when the Vista desktop machine is connected to DacMagic the 44.1 light illuminates and the tracks play from Winamp with no ASIO4ALL installed.

I am still working trying the other suggestions to try to get the laptop working with DacMagic.

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #652 of 920
Now have ASIO4All control panel open.

Under C-Media USB Headphone Set > PIN > Out "x 44.1-48Hz, 16Bits

"Always Resample 4.1kHz <-> 48kHz" checked

"Force WDM Driver to 16 Bit" unchecked

C-Media USB Headphone Set volume control all "Mute" boxes unchecked.

Still no output to DacMagic

Any further advice please?

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #653 of 920
I have now found a Winamp ASIO plugin, out_asio(exe)_070, however when I load the dll into Winamp I am told it cannot be started.

Also tried with version 0.67. This runs but does not paas the sound through to the DacMagic.

Again any help please?

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #654 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by athegn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now have ASIO4All control panel open.

Under C-Media USB Headphone Set > PIN > Out "x 44.1-48Hz, 16Bits

"Always Resample 4.1kHz <-> 48kHz" checked

"Force WDM Driver to 16 Bit" unchecked

C-Media USB Headphone Set volume control all "Mute" boxes unchecked.

Still no output to DacMagic

Any further advice please?

Uncheck the option for resample. That would be the same as passing through the Kmixer so defeating purpose of ASIO.

Look back a couple pages in this thread for a post by olblueeyes about ASIO. He has a link to were he showed all the settings you need and a tutorial. That might help. would look myself but have to go to work.

As for why PCM. Well it's the only thing the DacMagic can use. How about the Windows driver test noises, do they play through the Dac?

Good Luck.

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #655 of 920
I found i had problems with winamp and asio4all, it.initially worked, then stopped. I switched to Foobar and evrything worked fine.

Oddly enough, if i run Foobar first, Winamp works fine.. ??

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #656 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found i had problems with winamp and asio4all, it.initially worked, then stopped. I switched to Foobar and evrything worked fine.

Oddly enough, if i run Foobar first, Winamp works fine.. ??

I have just had the same experience! Last time Winamp worked was before I unplugged the laptop to use on the road. On return Winamp would not work!

Thank you. Tried downloading foobar and it ran through DacMagic as did Windows Media player and NOW Winamp.

I have now removed ASIO4ALL from my laptop. Unplugged the USB connection.

Replugged the USB, restarted the laptop. The 48 light illuminates when the DacMagic first detects the laptop. Open Winamp play a track and the 44.1 light illuminates and all is well. Don't have to run foobar first. I'll see how it goes over the next few days.

Something about firing up foobar must have reset things in the laptop.

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #658 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnysamoa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I set it up with balanced out from DAC to L/R unbalanced in on processor's (EMO DMR-1) analog in (bypass). Balanced to unbalanced cables purchased from Monoprice. I listened to it like this for about 6 hrs with various music from my library. Well recorded lossless is more glorious than ever (equal or better than from Direct CD w/o DACMagic). I also was pleasantly suprised to find that compressed modern pop is improved as well....wonder if that's the upsampling? I don't care, but I like. My wife's 128 mp3s still sound lousy, but more tollerable, anyway. Didn't notice how the time flew (no listener fatigue!!!). As much as I loved the pure 2 channel, the bass-head in me needed to hear some 2.1; so I added one of the unbalanced outs from the DAC concurrently with the balanced outs to the .1 of DMRs analog section and voila......more bottom (not that my mains are lacking, but they do start to roll off around 50hZ). I left my main L/R speakers set to "LARGE". I'll have to do some more critical listening 2.1 vs 2.0 before I decide which will get more playtime.

With DACMagic, separation of instruments is clearly improved. Soundstage is ever so slightly wider, considerably deeper and it provides better detail, 3d imaging. The DACMagic really shines on intricate percussion. YYZ never sounded so good! Snare and toms have more snap, high hat is more crisp, crash cymbals and chimes have more air and realistic decay. I think the micro/macro details of upper frequencies get the biggest improvement. My mains (Sealed Statements) inherrently have great midrange due to their design and components (open back TB W4s) and the bass from dual/sealed RS 225s is tight/spot on for musical bass. That's probably why I don't notice as big of improvements in the mids and bass (other than separation) with the outboard DACS. The Fountek ribbons are what really benefit most from the DACMagic.

This is my first experience using an outboard DAC and I'm quite impressed. And no............i don't hear an appreciable difference nor advocate designer cables and other various snake oil!!!

Very nice upgrade (and I always thought the DACs in my DMR-1 sounded quite good after switching from Onkyo 805 as Pre/Pro). The difference in 2 channel audio when switching from Onk (hated the rolled off highs when using Audyssey......and hated the shrill upper end with Aud dissengaged) to EMO separates (DMR and XPA-5) was a Huge improvement......and I was concerned that I wouldn't notice an appreciable improvement with an outboard DAC........these concerns were erased with the DACMagic in the first few hours
biggrin.gif
!

This upgrade made a bigger impact than separate amps (moving to XPA-5 power from using the DMR-1 onboard amps). Now I really need to try the XPA-2 or even XPA-1s!

Only letdown is/was I didn't get a significant widening of my soundstage. I recognize some of this is caused by my room/setup and I was able to improve this some by moving my LR speakers further out into the room (just another 8 inches or so). My 73" DLP acts as a big reflection point, which results in a collapsed sound stage unless I move the speakers away from boundary points (back and side walls included). Maybe the complete balanced (from DAC to Pre/Pro) signal will improve this further, but that will have to wait for the XMC (new EMO processor out sometime next year)! I still haven't tried the coax vs optical (that i'm using) from transport to DAC. I'll try that later, but I'd doubt i'll hear any difference with the short runs less than 6ft.

Best $400 dollar upgrade i've ever experienced.......

With the addition of the DACMagic, I have officially forsaken multi channel for music (unless its formatted that way for DVD, HD-DVD or Blu-ray concert material).

For those wanting to use an outboard DAC to improve sonics of their transport and digital music (as opposed to CD, SACD, etc) I highly recommend the DACMagic. I am thrilled to rid myself of loading/changing CDs in order to get quality sound. Rip em to your choice of lossless format and use w/transport of choice with DACMagic to your Pre/Pro or amp.

Happy listening
biggrin.gif

JohnnySamoa,
I appreciate your post here! I have not read all the replies but yours stuck out as it is similar to mine.

I too just purchased the XPA-3 to run my L/R/C on my older Denon 3803 in 5.1 mode. I have a DVDO VP20 as video processor. And to round things out a bit I have the B&W 804N's upfront.

I am trying to trace to my weakest link now that the amps are not it. I have a very old Technics 5 carousel CD that has the MASH 1 bit DAC on it and because the XPA-3 was a good improvement but not stellar for my CD's. I am thinking that the source unit is my next culprit.

I have been waiting on the Oppo BDP-83 universal player that will play SACD, DVD Audio, Blu-Ray and Std DVD but it is not out yet.

I read up on this DacMagic and I cannot tell how it actually hooks up to my AVR.

I am using the unbalanced preouts on the Denon to the XPA-3 and have my B&Ws L/R/C speakers tied to it. I keep thinking that the DAC would be a middle man where I would go CD out to DAC In and Dac Out to my AVR but the connections do not support that logic. The manual does not show a full system configuration

I am puzzled!

Can you or anyone else explain where in the chain the device sits when you are taking a CD and Std DVD interfacing to AVR??? Please of course!
redface.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #659 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by sticknstones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JohnnySamoa,
I
Can you or anyone else explain where in the chain the device sits when you are taking a CD and Std DVD interfacing to AVR??? Please of course!
redface.gif

Whatever you are using for your transport, send digital (coax or optical) out to dig in of DAC. Connect either balanced/unbalanced out from DAC to RCA inputs on AVR (I chose to use my 7.1 analog input section, so I could also send the .1 and use a sub). Since this is bypass, there is no bass management, so I use a specific crossover and EQ (BFD) on my sub that fits with the natural rollof of my LR.

Hope that helps.......still lovin my DACMagic.

Currently playing: Kate Bush Hounds of Love Remastered.

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #660 of 920
DACmagic is working excellently in the digital system in my signature. The synergy between these pieces of gear is astonishing. So natural and open. The soundstage of this whole rig is great, not amazing, but for the money I spent on this rig ($1600 + PC transport) I doubt there is a better top to bottom performing setup than this.

I prefer USB and the Min filter setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back