Cambridge DACMagic, anyone?
Dec 13, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #496 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmashta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried playing back 24bit/96KHz files using ASIO4ALL with optical out to the DacMagic? When I tried, Foobar gives me the following error:

Unrecoverable playback error: The ASIO device does not support specified sample rate (96000Hz)

However, it works fine when not using ASIO. Is this a problem with ASIO itself?

IIRC the DACMagic accepts 16bit/96 max through USB. But my memory is pretty bad
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #497 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmashta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried playing back 24bit/96KHz files using ASIO4ALL with optical out to the DacMagic? When I tried, Foobar gives me the following error:

Unrecoverable playback error: The ASIO device does not support specified sample rate (96000Hz)

However, it works fine when not using ASIO. Is this a problem with ASIO itself?

I just posted this: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/so...1/#post5130907

I don't get any error messages, just no playback or bad sound.

I can get only one of three optical out outputs from foobar to work. I guess one is all I really need but I would sure like to use ASIO or WASAPI.

Dec 13, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #498 of 920
Audio, the German magazine for Hifi and High-End tested four DAC's between 100 and 400 Euro (Jan. 2009 issue). Among them the CA DacMagic and MF V-DAC. Anybody interested in the outcome, since I would have to do some translation work?

Dec 13, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #500 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calvin&Hobbes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio, the German magazine for Hifi and High-End tested four DAC's between 100 and 400 Euro (Jan. 2009 issue). Among them the CA DacMagic and MF V-DAC. Anybody interested in the outcome, since I would have to do some translation work?

Is there an online version of the article? If so, we can let Google or Babelfish do the translation work.

Dec 13, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #501 of 920
I'll only translate the concluding remarks here: the cheap looks are utterly misleading: the MF V-DAC is buying you true high-end sound for a special price. If you need more connections or a more valuable look, the CA DacMagic offers a firstclass alternative.
CA DacMagic in summary:
POS: unspectacular neutral sounding, allround equipped, NEG: at this price no complaints at all. Excellent: sound 100 (RCA), 105 (balanced).
MF V-DAC in summary:
POS: Enormous sound potential for the money, high-end for understatement fans. NEG: digital connections at front, other connections at rear. Excellent: Sound 110 (RCA only).

Dec 13, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #502 of 920
Your are all buying the wrong DAC.

I've had the DacMagic and in my opinion the V-DAC is the better sounding DAC. at only £150 its a true bargain.

Mark my words once people start getting the V-DAC you will soon hear how good it is.

Dec 13, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #503 of 920
I read a review to the contrary with link i believe listed on the vdac thread that appraised it totally differently favoring the dacmagic(one reason i bought it) but i have not heard the vdac which was my original choice. I figured i had room and the vdac looked like a compact unit so exchanged space for sound quality. Either way i am very happy with this dac, no complaints.
As i stated earlier on just a causual listen may compare to my xdac which listed two or three years ago at around $1000. and the external power supply $450. ?? I would think that would be a higher end dac than the now 299. vdac. I would like to check it out but it is impossible to a/b this stuff w/o a meet and even then sources vary.

Dec 13, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #504 of 920
DacMagic, FTW!

Joking aside, I think it's clear that many people have different preferences here, which is why there are so many posters with so many posts. If everything was so cut and dry, we'd experience very little diversity of offerings. I'm glad anadin found a product that he likes!

Dec 13, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #505 of 920
Don't get me wrong the DacMagic is a great DAC for the money especially when you take into consideration it has balanced outputs.

I just prefer the V-DAC's sound signature, it has a really nice punchy top end without being overly bright.

Dec 13, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #506 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't get me wrong the DacMagic is a great DAC for the money especially when you take into consideration it has balanced outputs.

I just prefer the V-DAC's sound signature, it has a really nice punchy top end without being overly bright.

I'm sure it is and i am a fan of MF having the whole X series components except the phono. I was basically unwilling to wait for Justin to get around to the pico dac only and then also factored in the fact that size sometimes allowed better options for SQ at a lower price.

I hope sometime i get a chance to hear the vdac. It really is difficult to hear this stuff w/o buying. The LA meet was great with that because i got a chance to preview several different tube amp designs with my HPs and settle on an upgrade. There really is quite a difference.

Dec 14, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #507 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the ultra micro dac? I understand that little one is quite exceptional. Based on what I've read, it sounds like it should outperform this new dac from Cambridge.

It doesn't come close. I have owned headroom's ultra micro dac and the ultra micro amp together with the Wadia itransport and the Sennheiser 650's. I now use a PS Audio headphone amp with the dac-magic (can't stand that name) never the less the Cambridge is clearer and more defined. Although I have audiophile speakers and a dedicated amp I prefer listening to my headphones with this dac. To me the quality of the Cambridge really shines here. No room for errors. I have owned several hi-end Dacs, costing much, much more. You can't go wrong with this exceptional sounding product. They did a great job. This is the first Cambridge component I have owned.

Dec 14, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #508 of 920
My Stello DA100 Signature cost me a whopping £650 compared to the Musical Fidelity V-DAC at £150.
The Musical Fidelity V-DAC is on par with the Stello.

The price difference between the two of them an amazing £500, make what you will of that.

Dec 14, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #509 of 920
Quote:

My Stello DA100 Signature cost me a whopping £650 compared to the Musical Fidelity V-DAC at £150 is just as good to my ears.

And the price difference between the two of them an amazing £500!

Make what you will of that.

Any change of you to crack open that little beasty and let us see what is going on inside?

I can't seem to find detailed specs (DAC chip, etc) about that unit.

Dec 14, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #510 of 920
Quote:

My Stello DA100 Signature cost me a whopping £650 compared to the Musical Fidelity V-DAC at £150.
The Musical Fidelity V-DAC is on par with the Stello.

The price difference between the two of them an amazing £500, make what you will of that.

It sounds like a Musical Fidelity V-DAC thread is in order!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back