Cambridge DACMagic, anyone?
May 1, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #856 of 920
I could almost weep. Today I auditioned and purchased a Lehmann Rhinelander using a Cambridge 840C as the source. Now I know why this player is so well appreciated. The amp is wonderful but that 840C is way better than my Musical Fidelity V-DAC. It just peels another layer of murk away from the music and adds exceptional clarity especially in the treble and upper bass without the merest hint of hardness, sibilance or ear fatigue.

Now that I see the DACMagic is not up to 840C standards. I am beginning to hate head fi
wink.gif
Seriously, once you have heard quality, it is so hard to go back to what you had.

I wish Cambridge would bring out just a DAC version of that 840C. So many people these days just don't even need a CD player. They are almost legacy devices!

I am now wondering what hit my wallet is going to take in order to get that 840C quality without having to fork out two and a bit big ones.

May 1, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #857 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
atsmile.gif
Just got my Dacmagic1!!! One happy camper here...

Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish Cambridge would bring out just a DAC version of that 840C. So many people these days just don't even need a CD player. They are almost legacy devices!

I am now wondering what hit my wallet is going to take in order to get that 840C quality without having to fork out two and a bit big ones.

I know! Maybe they will introduce a new DAC later on.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #858 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could almost weep. Today I auditioned and purchased a Lehmann Rhinelander using a Cambridge 840C as the source. Now I know why this player is so well appreciated. The amp is wonderful but that 840C is way better than my Musical Fidelity V-DAC. It just peels another layer of murk away from the music and adds exceptional clarity especially in the treble and upper bass without the merest hint of hardness, sibilance or ear fatigue.

Now that I see the DACMagic is not up to 840C standards. I am beginning to hate head fi
wink.gif
Seriously, once you have heard quality, it is so hard to go back to what you had.

Considering the 840c is around 4 times the price of the DacMagic in the UK
it's not surprising that most feel the 840c is superior. I'm amazed how many
people push this comparison (amongst others) with an air of disappointment.

Perhaps the DacMagic is too close for comfort?
dt880smile.png

May 3, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #859 of 920
ADD: Your positive experiences with using a 12v battery source to power your V dac compells me to try the same with the Dacmagic. I believe the wallwart of the dacmagic is also 12v dc - does anyone have any insights into this scenario? I have had positive results with power filtration. Has anyone had any experiences with a different power source for this little beauty?

May 3, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #860 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by spanimal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ADD: Your positive experiences with using a 12v battery source to power your V dac compells me to try the same with the Dacmagic. I believe the wallwart of the dacmagic is also 12v dc - does anyone have any insights into this scenario? I have had positive results with power filtration. Has anyone had any experiences with a different power source for this little beauty?

Spanimal, there are certainly benefits when using mains conditioning / filtration but as for the actual power supply: it seems the DacMagic's supply was very much an integral part of the overall design.

Malcolm Steward: audio writer/petrolhead… » Cambridge DacMagic power supply experiment

YMMV of course
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #861 of 920
Quote:

No, it is 12v AC. That is what Wiatrob discovered as he was preparing to build a 12v sigma 11 PSU.

May 3, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #862 of 920
Considering the reviews, I'm very seriously considering this as the "last piece" of my 2-year long puzzle (see sig). No plans to used the balanced outputs.

I'm curious to see how the Pico DAC reviews (in comparison to this one), too. Since it just shipped I'll give it some time.

Thoughts?

May 3, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #863 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by DBrim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering the reviews, I'm very seriously considering this as the "last piece" of my 2-year long puzzle (see sig).

Thoughts?

I bought this recently as my last piece to this puzzle:

macbook -> no dac -> LD MK V -> HD-650

I can honestly say I was expecting such a huge difference. Everything just sounds so squeaky clean with the Dacmagic. I'm really happy with this rig. Before, I was always distracted by flaws and weaknesses. So much that it took away from the experience. Now I just sit back and get sucked into the musical bliss!
smile_phones.gif

Go for it. I doubt you'll be disappointed!

May 4, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #864 of 920
HA HA HA. I GOT IT! Listen up guys.

I have compared this DAC to my Pioneer Elite 79a in a previous post and noted that it was superior in everyway EXCEPT midrange warmth. Using the filters I have found that going from linear to minimum brings it closer. BUT I recently switched back to the pioneer and I REALLY miss this WARMTH and FULL BODIED MILKY SMOOTHNESS of the midrange. So much that I considered purchasing the V DAC. I considered a better power supply but was starting to accept that my music will be ANALYTICAL from now on.

There is a solution in this DAC and it is very easy to do. This single change has brought this dac to the same level of midrange warmth and full bodied milky smoothnes of the pioneer with BETTER DETAIL and reduction of excessive midrange bloom. Bass lines are delineated from the lower midrange and is ever more articulate. ie this dac is now better than the Pioneer in EVERYWAY! This is truly a MAGICAL DAC. Revised score 6/5

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot. The change was simply to select the Steep filter. This filter sharply rolls of the frequency from 22khz and focuses all its magical powers on the area of music that actually exists in a CD. I guess its more like non upsampling dac in this regard. The extra "air" and "extension" by the other filters are all artificially created by adding additional information above the 22khz limit of CD's. ie, It was never meant to be there. This is done at the expense of a truer midrange. I cannot believe how these "experts" fail to pick this up and continually offer the suggestion of linear or even minimum. Take the steep filter seriously guys (except for Hi res music) and tell me if your experience mirrors mine. I overlooked the steep filter because of this influence - but this answers my curiosity of why a lot of guys here prefer a non upsampling dac - The Dacmagic can behave like one.
atsmile.gif

May 4, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #865 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by thathertz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering the 840c is around 4 times the price of the DacMagic in the UK
it's not surprising that most feel the 840c is superior. I'm amazed how many
people push this comparison (amongst others) with an air of disappointment.

Perhaps the DacMagic is too close for comfort?
dt880smile.png

Same, the DAC magic should in no way compete in terms of AQ with the 840c and to compare the two is unfair (unless money is of no object). A fairer comparison would be against the 740c or the 640c.

May 5, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #866 of 920
Well I placed my order for one of these at my local audio store. I cant find them online that will ship any time before June, so I put an order in through them who can get them about the same time from their Rep.

Now the wait!!!!!
popcorn.gif

May 5, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #867 of 920
Quote:

HA HA HA. I GOT IT! Listen up guys.

I have compared this DAC to my Pioneer Elite 79a in a previous post and noted that it was superior in everyway EXCEPT midrange warmth. Using the filters I have found that going from linear to minimum brings it closer. BUT I recently switched back to the pioneer and I REALLY miss this WARMTH and FULL BODIED MILKY SMOOTHNESS of the midrange. So much that I considered purchasing the V DAC. I considered a better power supply but was starting to accept that my music will be ANALYTICAL from now on.

There is a solution in this DAC and it is very easy to do. This single change has brought this dac to the same level of midrange warmth and full bodied milky smoothnes of the pioneer with BETTER DETAIL and reduction of excessive midrange bloom. Bass lines are delineated from the lower midrange and is ever more articulate. ie this dac is now better than the Pioneer in EVERYWAY! This is truly a MAGICAL DAC. Revised score 6/5

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot. The change was simply to select the Steep filter. This filter sharply rolls of the frequency from 22khz and focuses all its magical powers on the area of music that actually exists in a CD. I guess its more like non upsampling dac in this regard. The extra "air" and "extension" by the other filters are all artificially created by adding additional information above the 22khz limit of CD's. ie, It was never meant to be there. This is done at the expense of a truer midrange. I cannot believe how these "experts" fail to pick this up and continually offer the suggestion of linear or even minimum. Take the steep filter seriously guys (except for Hi res music) and tell me if your experience mirrors mine. I overlooked the steep filter because of this influence - but this answers my curiosity of why a lot of guys here prefer a non upsampling dac - The Dacmagic can behave like one.
atsmile.gif

At first you didnt like the steep filter, then its now the best. Can you explain what changed in your equipment, mood, or whatever else that made you come from hating it to loving it?

May 5, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #868 of 920
Couldn't wait any longer for a new unit so I bought this DAC used for almost the same price as new. If I don't like it, I am sure I am going to lose a lot when I try to sell it back. I have the V-DAV, Stello DA100 and Lavry on my radar next. Looks like I am going to go to the same long journey I did with cables. Buy, try and sell until I find the one that I like.

May 5, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #869 of 920
Quote:

I overlooked the steep filter because of this influence - but this answers my curiosity of why a lot of guys here prefer a non upsampling dac - The Dacmagic can behave like one.
atsmile.gif

You will probably go back to the linear filter down the track
very_evil_smiley.gif
Seriously though, I now agree with other members who feel that the fact a DAC upsamples is secondary to the fact that it does other things right (or wrong).

The 840C CD player, for example, is the most "analogue" / "NOS"-like digital source I have ever heard - and it uses 24 bit, 384 Khz upsampling.

May 5, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #870 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At first you didnt like the steep filter, then its now the best. Can you explain what changed in your equipment, mood, or whatever else that made you come from hating it to loving it?

I know - I must sound silly doing a complete 180 on the steep filter. After the dust settles and the excitement of new piece of equipment settles one starts to truly adapt to the new hardware. I dismissed the steep filter with little testing as I initially compared it only to the other settings and it clearly did not have the "air" around instruments at the treble regions, along with popular opinion - I never actually gave it a chance, the literature states that steep rolls of frequencies after 22khz, this I assumed was a bad thing. I settled on minimum for the warmth - Still I craved more.

I went back to listening to CDs on the Pioneer and Isolating exactly what it was that was different (I believe the pioneer also does the 24/192 with cd) because If I get another Dac it MUST have this midrange warmth and solidarity (maybe a stello instead of a benchmark). Out of curiosity, I flicked the steep to compare to the pioneer, with my reference listening material. That was it - It sounded exactly the same as the pioneer but more detailed where it mattered, in the midrange and everywhere, without resorting to adding this treble "air" (think valve vs ss). There is no treble roll off, it still extends to 22khz correctly, what if this is the truer sound? I come up with a theory that rolling off allows the electronics to focus more on the data up to 22khz and not wasting reources beyond for which it would only be artificially induced as it never existed on the CD. Bear in mind that it is still upsampling to reduce jitter. There is no going back and there is no desire to upgrade DAC, my audiophile journey is over. "analytic" no more, "analogue like" and "truthfull" it is. Anyone else care to take the challenge on their dacmagic? - screw these journalistic "experts", you are much smarter than that.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back