Cambridge DACMagic, anyone? (THREAD II)
Jul 14, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #587 of 645
Just a question, has anyone here used any of the usb to s/p dif converters floating around and if so what are you impressions?  I'm considering getting one if only to be able to play hi Rez files.  Since the DacMagic reclocks all bits anyway, I would not expect much improvement.  Just asking for experiences.

Jul 14, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #588 of 645

Quote:
Just a question, has anyone here used any of the usb to s/p dif converters floating around and if so what are you impressions?  I'm considering getting one if only to be able to play hi Rez files.  Since the DacMagic reclocks all bits anyway, I would not expect much improvement.  Just asking for experiences.

used to run a M2Tech Hiface on my old dacmagic.
good improvement in terms of instrument separation.

how are you connecting it now? hopefully not through USB. how would the dacmagic reclock all the bits? it's one way?

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #589 of 645
I've been thinking about picking up a usb/spdif converter too.

At first I was looking at the hifiace, but then read that all was not well with the SQ and was too bright.  Then I almost ordered the Audio_gd DI but then pulled out at the last mintue.  Now I'm thinking about picking up the V-Link.

But like Bloodoath mentioned the Dacmagic reclocks the bits to output at 192khz.  The Dacmagic website mentions <130pS of correlated jitter.  Now I assume that is the amount of jitter that the reclocker generates to upsample the signal, so if you fed the DAC a virtually clean jitter free signal the internals of the Dacmagic would cause the signal to gain a small about of jitter due to the upsampling.

I'm no expert and I could be wrong in my analysis.

But I supposed a really clean signal would benefit the DAC, but I'm not sure if spending £100 on a async converter would be money well spent.  I'm probably better off putting it towards a new amp that I'm after.

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #591 of 645
I'm using USB as nearly all my music is on hard disk.  The DacMagic reclocks the data stream before processing.  Read up on that feature on their website.

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #592 of 645
I would not mind spending more on something like an audiophelio 2, but for something like this I'd only want to buy 1 of these.  This is not a item you want to have to regularly "upgrade" like DACs and Amps.  Its only purpose is to allow me us Hi Res audio files.

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #594 of 645
What happened to all the "love" for the DacMagic? 

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #595 of 645

Quote:
What happened to all the "love" for the DacMagic? 

I don't care - I love mine - for mid level gear - don't think you can beat it. I've owned and sold a VDac also - this drives both my LDMKIV and also my Tannoy 501A Monitors via balanced connections - it's a beautiful piece of equipment. Likely never will I own another Dac!

Nov 3, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #596 of 645
I like mine, but then I'm one of those dreadful accuracy-through-measurements fixated people. For me, the DACMagic provides excellent value, as it has lots of inputs and is considerably cheaper than a Benchmark, whilst preserving stupidly good objective performance. 
However, most people buy DACs based on buzzwords - such cheap-opamp-featuring, sanely-designed fare as the DACMagic has fallen behind in the face of various newer, more exiting and most likely inferior designs!

Nov 3, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #597 of 645
Thanks, that good info to hear. When it comes down to it... I just want it to sound really good!!

Nov 3, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #598 of 645
I guess the recent uprise of good cheap Chinese DACs has made the old DACMagic look somewhat outdated (as I think a lot of people disregard it because it doesn't handle higher than 48Khz using USB).

Personally I still love the DACMagic, it's compact and has a classy looking practical design, the only thing I don't like about it is the AC Adapter. While I have looked around for my next upgrade, I haven't really found much alternatives that can match the features and inputs of the DACMagic. Hence why I'm looking forward to the DACMagic Plus :)

Nov 3, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #599 of 645
I still love my DACMagic even after moving to higher end phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back