Cambridge DACMagic, anyone? (THREAD II)
Aug 24, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #181 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PSU issues are no something that every DM owner needs to address with CA. This unit us sold around the world, with PSU's being sourced locally by CA or their suppliers in each country they'll be used in. THe issue is with whatever PSU CA has used for the UK, which will be different to mine in Aus, which is fine, and anyone else's.

Perhaps CA were supplied with a bad batch, and by all means make them aware of it. But that doesn't make the DM a compromised product the world over.

[size=large]Sorry, I should have stressed that I'm based in the UK and the issues[/size]
[size=large]I've seen reported are all from the UK so far.[/size]

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #182 of 645
thathertz, what model power supply did yours come with? mines a:

Gpe model sy-12150a-bs

I'm only asking as my psu is screwed together. Although I do agree it does get a little hot after a few hours use.

Oh and if it makes any difference I've had my dacmagic since February.

Cheers

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #184 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gitbags /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thathertz, what model power supply did yours come with? mines a:

Gpe model sy-12150a-bs

I'm only asking as my psu is screwed together. Although I do agree it does get a little hot after a few hours use.

Oh and if it makes any difference I've had my dacmagic since February.

Cheers

Yours is the exact same model as mine Gitbags.
I checked when I got mine and actually it was this year in....February!
My (lack of) memory scares me....

Aug 25, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #185 of 645
Re PSU problems - I've had my new DacMagic on all day with nothing more than a very slight warming of PSU and the DacMagic itself. Perhaps CA just had a bad batch.

Am very impressed with the SQ so far (~ 10 hours listening time, ~30 hours powered on). Very forward sound through HD595s, attack on drums is fast and punchy, level of detail for ALAC files is incredible over iPod-> LOD. Though I was gobsmacked when my MP3/192 copy of Beethoven Piano Sonatas 28,29 [Uchida] sounded clearer than an ALAC version by Paul Lewis.

Only downside at the moment is a harsh treble/upper midrange which makes for fatiguing listening. I'm hoping I'll get used to this (or burn-in magick will reduce it) otherwise I'm going to have to look for smoother phones.

Aug 25, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #188 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what it is worth my surge protector separates each plug out and there is no congestion

The problem isn't 'congestion'. My PSU was plugged into a separate
mains filter which was on a shelf about 4 feet high with plenty of
space around it.

I've registered for a replacement PSU through the form CA provided
so hopefully I'll have it soon.

I must say I'm impressed how quickly they were on top of this issue.

Aug 26, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #189 of 645
Just ordered the black Dac Magic a few days ago, waiting patiently for it to arrive.

The reviews here are great and definitely helped me to make the decision.

Just to note, I do not have any existing DAC device, so comparing this to others is not a realistic review for me. I am more interested in the reviews of people who are adding it to a new scenario with much more common components.

I will be using it to connect an Airport Express to my NAD receiver. I have no other experience with any DAC, so this will be an upgrade on all levels.

I will provide my feedback after it is in use.

Thanks.

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #190 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by doppeljr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered the black Dac Magic a few days ago, waiting patiently for it to arrive.

The reviews here are great and definitely helped me to make the decision.

Just to note, I do not have any existing DAC device, so comparing this to others is not a realistic review for me. I am more interested in the reviews of people who are adding it to a new scenario with much more common components.

I will be using it to connect an Airport Express to my NAD receiver. I have no other experience with any DAC, so this will be an upgrade on all levels.

I will provide my feedback after it is in use.

Thanks.

You can compare it to the DACs in your Nad receiver
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #191 of 645
DacMagic Black just landed today. First Impressions where fairly lackluster. Returned to work while letting it run a few hours. After getting back to the DAC noticed the bottom end is much deeper. Puts out good power so can run it at lower level with same volume. Very quiet with no music playing. Just got it so I'm reserving judgment til I've had it longer, but I'm thinking I'm going to like this device.
wink.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #192 of 645
Hi, I just received my DACMagic as well, and I am very happy with the sound. When the DAC is connected (say via USB) and no sound is playing, there is a low but very noticable and irritating humming sound coming from the DAC. Once I start playing music the humming ceases (I checked by turning down the volume on my speakers all the way). Is anyone experiencing a similar phenomenon?

Aug 29, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #193 of 645
Mine is dead silent with no music playing. Make sure its not another component.

Aug 29, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #195 of 645
I agree the DM is black. Is through both usb and optical for me, though I now only use the latter

Not quite so sure as others about burning in. Cannot really say I have noticed a change. It is one of those head-fi purchases which I appreciate only by switching to lesser gear. In this instance TV speakers and the crap stereo in my brother's car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back