Cambridge DACMagic, anyone? (THREAD II)
Sep 7, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #511 of 645

Quote:
Yes... I did replace all caps with Panasonic ones and somewhere Oscon/Sanyo. And 8 diodes.

Diodes i used are:
http://si.farnell.com/international-rectifier/10mq100npbf/schottky-diode-1-5a-forward/dp/1651113?Ntt=1651113

I did use LME49720 (soic case style) opamps... Its the same as LM4562 i guess. Just renamed.

http://si.farnell.com/national-semiconductor/lme49720ma/op-amp-hifi-audio-dual-powerwise/dp/1433166

So i did replace much. Maybe will go step further in future and replace RCA to BNC in digital input 2. But am not sure if i will do this. I am happy with that what i did get with this replacement... If i would change half of dacmagic it would not make sense. Better buy DAC level higher...

very nice share..
L3000.gif

i wasn't aware that LME49720 is similar to LM4562 before..

Sep 9, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #512 of 645
Ok... Am I totally insane? Wait before you answer that. LoL

Did I read somewhere that the DM only upsamples via it's balanced outputs? I swear I did. If so, where did I read that? If not, how would I have come up with that?

Is it true that the DM only upsamples via its balanced outputs? If it is, where can I read about it?

I think I'm going crazy...

Sep 21, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #518 of 645

Quote:
I have a friend who is a ridiculously good at soldering.  What upgrades are worth doing for the best possible sound, without spending an ungodly amount of money?  Maybe around $100-150?

look at previous posts and pages, around page 33-34. there are some mods being talked at that particular pages..

Sep 22, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #519 of 645
Hi,

It would be amazing if I can get a response on this. In UK, there doesn't seem to be much choice with regards to XLR - RCA cables. I want to use both outputs on the DACmagic since I will use a RCA - 3.5mm plug for my ibasso headphone amp and the XLR - RCA for my (i assume unbalanced) speaker amp.

This is the best I could find (most aren't even gold plated!):

Quote:

[*]
Individually shielded conductors

[*] Low-noise,heavy duty Fig 8 cable

[*] Metal RCA phono plugs with ID bands and spring strain relief

[*] Gold plate contacts

[*] Available in 1.5m and 3m versions
The brand is skytronics at £10 (3m). Considering I already had mid-range quality belkin RCA cabling (priced at about £20 for the 5m version) of the following order I'm wondering if I'm actually taking a step down:

Quote:
  1. Provides maximum isolation from electromagnetic and radio frequency interference with double-shielded construction
  2. Delivers better audio clarity and a more natural-sounding midrange with superior-grade, 99.99%-purity copper conductors
  3. Generates better high frequencies and a more realistic stereo image using precision-formulated, polyethylene dielectric material
  4. Creates precise contact and increased durability with a split-tip center pin and 6-cut, corrosion-resistant, 24k gold RCA connectors
  5. Isolates noise with 100%-coverage aluminum/Mylar foil shield
  6. Creates a second layer of protection with tinned, copper spiral shielding
  7. Eliminates the corrosion that is common in bare, copper shielding

If you think it is going to be a step down, I could order a mogami cable from the US (1m = $15 = £9). I could also look into XLR to 3.5mm jack instead for the headphone amp if this is a better option which would be:

Quote:
High quality twin Female XLR to minijack cable - professional line connector to PC/MP3 connector

Features:

1. Length: 3.0m
  2. Signal Source Connector : 2 x Female 3 pin XLR
  3. Signal Destination Connector : 3.5mm minijack cable
  4. Gold Plated Connectors
  5. OFC red copper conductors
  6. First shield in ALUMINIUM FOIL, second shield in tinned copper braid
  7. Ø 4.0 mm resistant PVC external jacket
  8. Colour: BLACK

3m @ £14.

Thanks for any tips. I would be cool if I find out today since I was going to go to maplins to pickup a RCA-3.5mm profigold cable for my headphone amp once I've collected my DACmagic. I can do without trying it without headphones for a few days though if it means I make the right decision. By the way, I'm reluctant to just use one set of analogue outputs (XLR or RCA) and keep swapping them several times a day in case I damage something.

Many thanks

Sep 22, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #521 of 645
Hi. Does anyone know if you can hook up the RCA outputs and the balanced outputs simultaneously?

I'm eventually going to have enough room for speakers, and I was thinking that it would be nice to hook the RCA outputs to my headphone amp, and the balanced outputs to a speaker amp.

Sep 22, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #522 of 645
Well I've got the DACmagic!
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" /> Current setup is Laptop [Foobar2k Soundcard is selected with 'WASAPI SPDIF-out' in foobar's output settings]>Creative USB XFI soundcard > Ixos Optical cable > DACmagic > RCA cables to Razer Mako

So far, there was a straight away discernable difference so I'm happy. Admitedly, I haven't listened to any music so maybe it's just that, but I did notice elements to my flacs missing in some tracks. I went ahead and picked up a profigold rca - 3.5mm for my portable headphone amp.

Quote:
it is better and cheaper to DIY it or ask any head-fier here to do it for you..

i thought DIY suppliers are pretty easy to find in UK?? 
confused_face_2.gif

So are you saying that the XLR to RCA cable I showed above is poor quality? The most expensive one I've seen available is only £13 inc delivery, which is less than I paid for the optical and rca to 3.5mm cables. To be honest, I've not had the best of luck visiting shops for fixes. For example, when I wanted a recabling, I was mainly being asked to send it to the manufacturer instead. I also visited various DJ shops which weren't too helpful either. If anyone knows any DIY suppliers who they think will do a better quality XLR to RCA cable at a reasonable price (don't want to go over £25 if possible since that's the most I would spend on an RCA-RCA interconnect) feel free to PM me. I'm based in london unless they can do mailorder (which would save me the £5+ public transport costs. I will call my local audio shop which has apparently been in the biz for like 50+ years and does have an engineer on hand who does fixes, mods and custom jobs.

I did also ask at a couple of places today whilst out and about and they said there aren't many quality cables in the market since most people assume it's pointless have a balanced to unbalanced cable although I did explain that some people do it to negate having to constantly switch out and in their RCA's at the back of the DAC like in my case and others who've I've read about in this thread. Anyway, feel free to also have another look at the XLR to RCA cable I mentioned above and let me know your thoughts. I had a look at this thread and the cables forum and various other sites, but most recommendations on here pointed towards US brands/retailers which aren't reallt available here.

Anyone reading this in a similar situation, I did read elsewhere that it's better to have a direct XLR to RCA cable rather than using an XLR to RCA adapter and then plugging the RCA cables in the adapter.

Quote:
Gsilver said:
Hi. Does anyone know if you can hook up the RCA outputs and the balanced outputs simultaneously?

When I was working my way through this thread to help with my research, I found several people doing what you're talking about (RCA to headphone amp and XLR to speaker amp). It's the main reason I want to do the same and I am trying to get some feedback on the above. I think some people said there were slight sonic issues on the RCA with both connected, however maybe if the amp which the XLR is connected to is switched off whilst the headphone amp is being used over RCA, it should be fine.

Sep 22, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #523 of 645

Quote:

I'm eventually going to have enough room for speakers, and I was thinking that it would be nice to hook the RCA outputs to my headphone amp, and the balanced outputs to a speaker amp.

sure you can. Never ran them at the same time but that should work too.

Sep 23, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #524 of 645
I'm happy! I'll post my DACmagic experiences which had me up till 3am later.

I rang my local independent audio/hi-fi shop and the engineer said in my instance what he'd do (what I think you were advising too) is get a high quality rca cable and modify one end with a set of xlr plugs. He asked me to bring my DACmagic into the shop so he can have a look to ensure everything is done correctly. Looks like I might even get an upgrade on my current RCA cable this way
smily_headphones1.gif
I think I'll take that down too so he can give me a verdict on what I've been using all this time.

He said he might otherwise get some company called 'Atlas Audio' to provide a custom cable. Not sure who they are, but he it said the name like I should know it, lol - guess i better google it.

Sep 23, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #525 of 645

Quote:
When I was working my way through this thread to help with my research, I found several people doing what you're talking about (RCA to headphone amp and XLR to speaker amp). It's the main reason I want to do the same and I am trying to get some feedback on the above. I think some people said there were slight sonic issues on the RCA with both connected, however maybe if the amp which the XLR is connected to is switched off whilst the headphone amp is being used over RCA, it should be fine.

I don't see myself needing to use both at the same time, just leaving both sets of cables plugged in and have only one device on. Still, this will be a ways down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back