Cambridge CX-C, CD Transport *mini Review*
Nov 8, 2016 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

franzdom

500+ Head-Fier
This summer I ripped my entire CD collection to my computer again, ALAC > iTunes. Previously it was mostly 320kb.

I also bought a few new CD's. One of them was Max Richter's "from Sleep". It is relaxing new-age type music. Mostly it sounded quite good from the computer. However, the first song has some crackle and pop. Song 2 and most others didn't exhibit this. It is consistent, meaning same place every play. I tried ripping it again, no change. I thought perhaps the CD is faulty.

The next thing I did was download the mp3 from Amazon for free since I had bought the CD there. I am not 100% sure the crackling is in the same places but it seemed the same. I thought it was in the master.

But, I got to thinking about transports. My desktop computer has the typical Lite-On or flavor of the month CDRW type player. Computer also doesn't have S/PDIF coax out which I really wanted to try. I had been trying optical and USB into Yggy which were ok. Apparently there aren't many options for cards to get the coax output, even the venerable Creative ZXR. 

Enter the search for a CD player and discovery of a dedicated transport. Since I already have the Schiit Yggdrasil I was hesitant to put much into a CD player when most of the expensive ones are touting their nicer DAC's. I ended up with the Cambridge CX-C CD transport. No DAC, no analogue output. It was $500.
I had also considered NAD & Yamaha units in the 700-800 range. Those were players and included DAC's. Other transports I found were slot load and I wasn't too keen on that.

The tray is a bit flimsy especially compared to my older CD player, Sony XA-20 ES. It's plastic and a bit clunky. That is where the issues stop though. The CXC plays quickly, quietly meaning no noise from the box, and the sound is very compelling. I sampled so far REM Murmur, Max Richter Vivaldi 4 Seasons, some Pink Floyd, and some Count Basie. 
Also I must report that it completely fixed Max Richter from Sleep disc I was having trouble with. I was amazed about that. No pops or micro skips anywhere on the whole disc.

But even better I can report that the music is more engaging, perhaps more euphonic, and extremely enjoyable. 
I think part of what is going on is how transparent the Yggy is and my cans being pretty much equal time every day swapping between LCD-XC & LCD-3. You hear everything. I think the computer is either causing some trouble on rip or on processing playback. Jitter also perhaps.

I wonder if Coax SPDIF is helping, well it can't be hurting. 
A plus is I can turn the computer off and reduce background noise. 

I am so happy about this new piece of kit. It seems like everything I listen to is like listening to it new again. There is more plankton and there are lots of discovery moments. I am diving even deeper into the jazz hall or recording studio. I think I will be using the computer for light listening like christmas playlists to speakers and things like that but I think the vast majority of my headphone listening will now be done through the CXC.

I opted for the silver model, it's lighter than shown here and matches my Schiit perfectly.

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #2 of 7
I have a CXC transport with Gumby. I added a wyred4sound reclocker that was a good improvement. I use Acoustic Zen MC2 coaxial digital cable between the CXC , reclocker and Gumby DAC. Now  a revelation that I have made is simultaneous connection with Lifatec toslink from transport to reclocker. Dramatic improvement all around. Way more musical , focus, feel, prat, clarity. Very analog sounding and huge reduction in digital edge and glare. It is quite unbelievable how big the change is. I am still to try running another toslink from reclocker to Gumby if that will be further improvement. 

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 7
The Gumby won't process both inputs at the same time...one or the other.

Nov 9, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 7

I'm looking at this too. Besides my cd collection I have maybe 6 "high resolution" downloads from HD Tracks burned to dvd that I listen too via Oppo 105-optical-Ha-1-LCD XC. I have very good hearing but can't really tell the difference between the 24 bit stuff and well recorded cd's. Tired of blowing money chasing audiophile rainbows.

Nov 9, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for your impressions, there is very few experiences on Google about this transport. I only use CD's for any sort of focused listening, mainly because all the music I'm interested in is published on CD. A dedicated CD transport is the obvious choice for the cleanest transfer of that ridiculously delicate digital data. My experience is this transport using either the TOSlink or COAX (my favourite at this time) is superior to a USB. I'll be seeking out something like a Yggdrasil soon, meanwhite the Mojo with the Lifetec optical or Chord Clearway is working nicely.

I only wonder how the Cyrus Signature compares, or if there is any other competition to this CXC.

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #6 of 7
I've had it for a few days. I have a pair of Audioquest Forest cables (bottom rung 'fancy pants brand' optical and coax) running into my multibit Gumby. The midrange is a good deal more detailed than my 20 yr old Sony 5 disc changer with either cable. At first I thought the bass might be sort of one note, but no, it's good and there is no midbass hump. But the treble from the RCA's at times was tough - a glare in the lower highs, but today it seemed to mitigate a bit. Perhaps it's "settling in". The optical isn't as revealing, and sometimes appears to suffer from phase issues, but the metal bar through my skull isn't there. I understand some users of digital coax claim it has to be 1.5M long to avoid certain issues. Mine is .7M so some will say that's the problem.

I don't think the tray is that bad as some have complained, but the chirping on the pause and rewind functions is clearly annoying and idiotic.

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #7 of 7
If anyone has followed my elliptical posts you know that my system changes sound quite a bit when the VAC coming in is under 117. This trait appeared at the time I went to the CXC. I haven't seen much on the modifying side of this. I assume better caps in the audio section and perhaps an upgraded op-amp might be the ticket. Any input?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back