Cambridge azur 640H nightmare any other option
Jan 10, 2006 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Captain

500+ Head-Fier
Can any body help. I have around a 1000 albums on my hard drive (most are MP3's). I am looking for some thing I can use to get these albums played through my HiFi. I have just brought a Cambridge azur 640H, but it is a total nightmare and so I am sending it back. It is really slow to move the albums across on to its hard drive and it would take months to. When you do get albums on their or even via a network it thinks single tracks are whole albums it makes various albums with 200-300 tracks on. Some albums have some of the tracks missing, but can be found in other albums and some times not found at all. The other big problem is you can not put any thing on top and a 10cm gap is recommended. I have a Benchmark DAC-1 which I want to use it with what ever I end up buying, so this is a real problem as I do not have any were else to place the DAC. Can any body recommended another player. I would prefer some thing with a disk player as well as I could get shot of my transport, which is one of the reasons I looked at the 640H.

As said I will be using a external DAC so optical/coax out is important. Any comments on the Squeeze box 3 although this does not have the disk player, it does seem like a good option. I am in the UK so availably here is helpful. Budget the same as price of the 640H.

Jan 11, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 7
Jan 11, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 7
How about one of those Olive systems? Perhaps the Olive Musica will suit you? They seem like really nice machines. There doesn't seem to be any difference between the Symphony and Musica besides the obvious colour differences and the lower capacity HD on the Symphony (160GB vs. 80GB). Plus I believe they have optical output as well as coaxial. They also have built-in WiFi, which I'm guessing allows you to fill up the drive.

Jan 11, 2006 at 9:31 AM Post #6 of 7
I was under the impression that you didn't have to move the tracks to the 640H to play them in the first place. That does sound strange, wonder what's wrong?

/JF

Jan 11, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
The squeezebox and airport express are your best options I think. Simple to set up and cost is minimal.

Will the squeeze box when used with optical to the DAC-1 be the same sound quality as if it was coming from a computer sound card. Also does it have good file handling unlike the azur.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JiiEf
I was under the impression that you didn't have to move the tracks to the 640H to play them in the first place. That does sound strange, wonder what's wrong?

/JF

You don't if you go through a network. I want them on the hard drive so they are available straight away. It takes about 20min for the player to read off a PC with the amount of tracks I have. It then needs to reboot before you can play them. If on the hard drive on the 640 you are ready to go once it is fired up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back