Cambridge Audio Minx Xi
Apr 23, 2015 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kdava

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All

I'm using a FiiO E10K and a Takstar Pro 80 with my computer, I really love it. But sometimes I'd like to listen to music more comfortably, like in the livingroom.

I'm thinking about upgrading the headphones and amp/dac in the future, but currently I am very satisfied with how they sound. I might consider getting an NFB-11 which has pre-amp with powered speakers and some better headphones like HD598 or better later on.

But I came across these network players and I really like the idea. How about spending the NFB-11 money on one of these instead?

What I have my eyes on is the Cambridge Audio Minx Xi. Bit pricier than the Audio-GD, but I'm at the saving up step at the moment anyway. It has a nice Wolfson DAC and speaker amp, and it's just compatible with everything. I could hook it up with my unpowered speakers, stream music from my PC, etc. The question is, how would this sound through headphone out? I would like to listen to speakers as well as my headphones with it. Someone wrote in a review 'nice integrated amp and headphone amp', so is there a separate headphone amp in it or what?

As these are designed primarily with speakers in mind, I'm not sure how good they are at driving headphones. My current Pro 80's in particular, but maybe even a HD600 or similar later? I don't like switching my gear frequently, I like buying one thing after doing a lot of research and then be done with it. And $600 is a lot of money for me, so I would like a device that is capable of driving most headphones (doesn't have to drive high-end ones as the most money I'll ever spend on it is around $300) as well as speakers.

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I have no experience with speaker amps' relation to headphones.

So, considering sound quality, comfort and price, would I be better of getting an NFB-11 or a Minx Xi? Also, could anyone recommend any other solutions ($600 max)?

Thank you in advance.

Edit: I've been reading around, and some reviews mention they drive HD598 and some Audio-Technicas nicely. But I'd like some more details.

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 11
What I have my eyes on is the Cambridge Audio Minx Xi. Bit pricier than the Audio-GD, but I'm at the saving up step at the moment anyway. It has a nice Wolfson DAC and speaker amp, and it's just compatible with everything. I could hook it up with my unpowered speakers, stream music from my PC, etc. The question is, how would this sound through headphone out?

Hard to know how the headphone output is.

Did you know that most AVRs now have much of this same streaming ability? You could pick up a Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, or Onkyo receiver with many of the same features for less money, and would give you more flexibility in hooking up other devices, and more flexibility for expanding your speaker system (e.g. adding a sub).

So unless it's the smaller size of the Minx Xi that appeals to you, I'd look around some. Particularly in late spring/starting in summer, the previous year's model Denons always go on sale. Good way to get a great deal.

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 11
Also, you might want to check out this forum over at AVS for streaming content: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/

And this one for receivers: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the answers guys. I've looked around for AVRs and other network players, but most of them with WiFi or some network connection were more expensive. I'll look some more for better deals, then :) The thing that's bothering me is that headphone out is rarely even mentioned in reviews.. I understand that's not the primary objective of these devices, but it would be pretty important for me. I also really liked the peachtree audio network players, but those are way above my budget.

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 11
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-S700W-7-2-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00JRTMOGS/

And note Amazon has a refurbished version of that model for $299.

I know there are other models. :)

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #6 of 11
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-S700W-7-2-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00JRTMOGS/

And note Amazon has a refurbished version of that model for $299.

I know there are other models.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, unfortunately they don't sell this model in my country, and I just don't want a large thing like an AVR shipped. But I'm sure there are models they sell here as well. Are there any models that are known to have good heapdhone outs?

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #7 of 11
Sorry. You haven't updated your profile to indicate where you live. I was assuming based on US since you were talking dollars :)

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #9 of 11
Sorry to bump this, I'm still on the search.

I've found the Pioneer VSX-924 avr, which sports a high-end Sabre dac. I know, the dac chip alone won't determine the sound, but if they went as far as putting this in it, I guess they paid some attention to nice audio quality. DSD ability included.

This also has all kinds of networking features, so everything I want.

Also, it has active/passive pre-out/zone 2. Does this mean that if I choose passive out, it will act as a source? So I could do the following: stream music from my PC/iPad > pre out > coax cable > headphone amp with coax in > headphone? That would be great :O

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #10 of 11
That looks like a good AVR for you :)

Yep. Check the manual. From looking at the connections on the back, it has a left/right front pre-out. So you should be able to hook that to a headphone amp if you want. It also has a zone 2 left/right out. Check the manual and see what that does as well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back