Cambridge Audio Dac Magic
Jan 27, 2011 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

samsquanch

500+ Head-Fier
Jan 29, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
IMO, DACmagic is a little bit pricey.

Depends on your the depths of your pockets and needs, there are plenty that consider it to be a painfully low-budget option :)

I like mine, FWIW, but I don't have too much to compare it to. Compared to my CD's player analogue out, the bass is more defined and I feel like there's a more spacious soundstage (intangible, I know, but my reference frame is weak). I was well-pleased with the improvements.

Jan 29, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 7
I think the DacMagic is a great DAC for the price. It has many features, is capable of balanced output, and has a nice clean sound. If you find one on the Sales Forum is an even better bargain. Even though I used a Blue Circle Thingee as a USB/SPDIF converter, using the DM straight from the USB input still produced great results.

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #6 of 7
It's become rather fashionable to give the Dacmagic a bit of a kicking. It's been out a couple of years and no longer FOTM, I guess. But it's a good DAC, excellent for the price. I can happily switch from my main system £12K DAC to the Dacmagic without feeling that I'm giving up too much. Sure, it has flaws but it plays music! 

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm also looking at a DACMagic. Main reason being it has balanced output for my monitors and sub, as well as RCA output to go to my HA-160. There are other options out there, but IMO these look great for the price. Looking forward to getting my hands on one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back