Cambridge Audio CD6 - laser
Jun 20, 2006 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

si_free

New Head-Fier
Does anybody know what the replacement laser is for a Cambridge Audio CD6. I have tried various distributors and even the manafacturer but nobody knows!! It appears to be a Sanyo, but which one?

Jun 26, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #3 of 9
You have got to love the internet - a simple question and you are put in touch with the designer...amazing.

My cd 6 is a similar age but has started to skip a lot recently. After struggling to find a replacement laser I have ordered a new player - shanling t80. I would still like to repair my cd6 as it has been a very musical player. It has perferomed well even when used in a high end system - inc a level 2 audio note amp & speakers! I would however not be keen to buy Cambridge again due to the lack of support I recieved in dealing with the company. How can they not know what parts are in their machines?

Thanks for the info.

Jun 26, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #4 of 9
You have got to love the internet - a simple question and you are put in touch with the designer...amazing.

My cd 6 is a similar age but has started to skip a lot recently. After struggling to find a replacement laser I have ordered a new player - shanling t80. I would still like to repair my cd6 as it has been a very musical player. It has perferomed well even when used in a high end system - inc a level 2 audio note amp & speakers! I would however not be keen to buy Cambridge again due to the lack of support I recieved in dealing with the company. How can they not know what parts are in their machines?

Thanks for the info.

Jun 5, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by si_free /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody know what the replacement laser is for a Cambridge Audio CD6. I have tried various distributors and even the manafacturer but nobody knows!! It appears to be a Sanyo, but which one?

The lazer for your cd6 is the sanyo sf91, i had same prob and got mine from cpc (online uk company) but if you type in sf91 on google ect it should come up with a where to buy or find, make sure you get the right cable pin connectors on the end as there are 2 diff types sold as sf91.
Fix the old gem, i wanted to hear how much difference a 1300.00 pound new arcam sounded in sevenoaks hi-fi (uk) sounded against it, and the arcam did sound better but my cd6 (same as any other im sure) was not put to any real shame, the salesman didnt say a lot (he he)
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by si_free /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My cd 6 is a similar age but has started to skip a lot recently. After struggling to find a replacement laser I have ordered a new player - shanling t80.

Err . . . because the transport begins to skip means that a new laser is required - I think not, well certainly not exclusively.

I had a similiar problem with my CD6 and after a lot of twiddling with the FIVE presets I eventually managed to get it going as sweet as a nut - and it's still going
icon10.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 9
Hello Cambridge Audio CD6 lovers !

Are you still there ?

I just got one, it is fantastic
smily_headphones1.gif
wink.gif

I'd like to know how I can improve it : OPA change ? powersupply upgrade ? Etc ..

I have Tannoy Definition 500, Sonic Frontiers EL34 amp, Yves Cochet french pre.

Thank you.

Feb 10, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by fezzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The lazer for your cd6 is the sanyo sf91, i had same prob and got mine from cpc (online uk company) but if you type in sf91 on google ect it should come up with a where to buy or find, make sure you get the right cable pin connectors on the end as there are 2 diff types sold as sf91.
Fix the old gem, i wanted to hear how much difference a 1300.00 pound new arcam sounded in sevenoaks hi-fi (uk) sounded against it, and the arcam did sound better but my cd6 (same as any other im sure) was not put to any real shame, the salesman didnt say a lot (he he)
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Hi Fezzer - What is the right cable pin configuration for this laser?

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 9
I've had 2 cd6's lying around for years,both skipping and not reading some disks.
I've managed to get them both going,by adjusting the FBAL and TBAL trimpots.
No special equipment was used, just  known good cd and one with plenty of scratches on it(but without damage to the alu foil)
I just played back the good disk until it started skipping, then slowly adjusted one or either of the trimpots until playback resumed,
continue playback until it skips again, a very small adjustment of one of the pots makes it play smoothly again.
Once the good cd plays without skipping,move on to the scratched disk and repeat the procedure,again using minute adjustments
to make playback stable.
With a bit of luck ,and patience you're cd6 will be as good as new!
Its definitely better to leave the laser diode rf alone until you have at least tried this first.
Seeing as both my machines needed the adjustment,theres a good chance you can get youre cd6 going this way.
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back