Cambridge Audio Azur 840c -> Graham Slee Solo -> HD650
Feb 2, 2008 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Gingerbread Man

New Head-Fier
I currently have the Solo and 650, and a Beresford TC-7510 MK6/3 DAC, and am thinking about upgrading to an 840c. Will it match my current setup? - e.g. I don't want conflicting sonic properties..so I'm asking if it will have synergy?

I'm thinking about getting silver interconnects as well, to bring out the higher frequencies, or an aftermarket 650 cable.

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 14
This will be a major upgrade to your system. The Azur 840c is a very good DAC and transport. As for ICs I don't know which ones are best but I have learned by experience that they do make a difference. My new Virtual Dynamics cables have shown me this. Don't forget new Power Cables of an equal level to your other cables. With the 840c you probably will want to go balanced since it changes the level of the HD650 very significantly. So sorry about your find Solo amp but you should keep it for other headphones you may want.

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This will be a major upgrade to your system. The Azur 840c is a very good DAC and transport. As for ICs I don't know which ones are best but I have learned by experience that they do make a difference. My new Virtual Dynamics cables have shown me this. Don't forget new Power Cables of an equal level to your other cables. With the 840c you probably will want to go balanced since it changes the level of the HD650 very significantly. So sorry about your find Solo amp but you should keep it for other headphones you may want.

What are my balanced amp options?

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gingerbread Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are my balanced amp options?

There is one from Headamp.com by Justin called the GS-X. Headamp has one that is one of the most beautiful amps around but I have forgotten its name. Then there are the Samuel amp's like the B-52. For DYI there is the balance b22. On! I should not forget the Singlepower balance amps. There are many available. I could have my amps and manufacturer's confused, I usually do. Someone else will clarify this since this is becoming more and more popular.

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is one from Headamp.com by Justin called the GS-X. Headamp has one that is one of the most beautiful amps around but I have forgotten its name. Then there are the Samuel amp's like the B-52. For DYI there is the balance b22. On! I should not forget the Singlepower balance amps. There are many available. I could have my amps and manufacturer's confused, I usually do. Someone else will clarify this since this is becoming more and more popular.

Looking at the prices of some of those I think I'll stay single ended for now and leave balanced as a future upgrade
eek.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 14
If you noticed I have not gone balanced myself. With my headphones I think this provided little increase in quality but the reason I suggested it for you is the Senn HD650s do get a real boost going that way.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 14
Also check out the Headroom Balanced Desktop as well. I went over to the "balanced side" about a year ago and that amp makes my Senn600 and Beyer990 sing!

I'm actually >< this close to getting your Cambridge CD player, as it's a top line player AND DAC with balanced outputs.

Feb 6, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gingerbread Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently have the Solo and 650, and a Beresford TC-7510 MK6/3 DAC, and am thinking about upgrading to an 840c. Will it match my current setup? - e.g. I don't want conflicting sonic properties..so I'm asking if it will have synergy?

I'm thinking about getting silver interconnects as well, to bring out the higher frequencies, or an aftermarket 650 cable.

Sounds like it might really "clear up" the HD650s... but... you may have a pretty "cold, analytical" system when you're through - if that's the sound you're after.

Personally, I'd rather team the 840C - which is reported to be fairly cold and analytical, though detailed... with a warm amp - probably a tube amp. And... then you're going to "top it all off" with silver cables - wow - lots of clarity and detail... but, it may be a bit "too much."

Feb 8, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #9 of 14
I've done Cambridge Audio 840C to Heed to AKG 701. I don't know if "cold" and "analytical" are the adjectives for what I heard, even though from what I gather people believe the Senns are warmer than AKGs, right? I consistently heard only music, involving and detailed, yes, but also warm when it has to. I really think the "tube" sound & "SS" sound are just two more cliches; I've heard solid states sound warm & tubes sound analytical. Leben CS600 is definitely not tubey, despite the fact that it's one of the best tube integrateds I've heard, and Jeff Rowland integrateds, for example, are definitely not SS-analytical, even though they are as SS as you get. If I was forced at gunpoint to put "warm" and "cold" adjectives to each, I'd say the Leben is cold & the Rowland is warm. I think there is a certain truth to the claim tube = warm, SS = analytical, but on many levels, these categorizations only add to expectancy factors & become cliches that people cling onto. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry to digress... I think in the end, you'll do really well w/ your combo. I can only wish I can listen to that combo!

Feb 8, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #10 of 14
It seems most of those who've been raving about the 840c are using it with Senns. The 840c really seems to add the detail and sparkle that the Senns may have been lacking. The 840c also goes well with my bro's Beyer DT250, so it really is just a damn good source.

Feb 8, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #11 of 14
That seems to be the general consensus here...most owners of 840c are HD6xx owners. Recently...I been listening more on my speaker system and 840c really shines to a new level when used with decent speakers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjapixie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems most of those who've been raving about the 840c are using it with Senns. The 840c really seems to add the detail and sparkle that the Senns may have been lacking. The 840c also goes well with my bro's Beyer DT250, so it really is just a damn good source.

Feb 8, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I been listening more on my speaker system and 840c really shines to a new level when used with decent speakers.

Amen!

BTW: I listen to my 840C through AKG K701. I really like it. I'm going to listen with my Sennheiser PXC450 with noise-canceling bypassed and will soon compare the Senn vs. AKG sonic traits w/ 840C...

Feb 9, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #13 of 14
I love my 840C going into a Cary SLI-80 and driving JVC DX1000 headphones.

As for the initial question, only you can tell if you will like the synergy with your system. I would suggest getting one from Audio Advisor (or any other dealer with a money back guarantee). Try it for a couple of weeks (Audio Advisor lets you have 30 days, and the 840C will need that time as it takes ~100-200 hours to fully break in and sound its best). If you like what you hear, keep it. If not, send it back

I am almost certain you will keep it, however. Damn fine player!

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #14 of 14
You've made a fine choice in buying a Slee Solo, I can't think of a better match for the 650s in its price range.

The 840c would certainly enhance the system a lot. I use a DAC1 personally but I almost bought an 840c, I suggest you check out both as well and demo them if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back