Cambridge Audio 340C vs 540 and 640c
Jan 7, 2009 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Suntory_Times

Headphoneus Supremus
I was just wondering that if I planned to use on of the above purely as a transport whether there was a difference between them (I plan to use the DAC magic as the external DAC with one of the above as the transport). Any help would be appreciated.

Jan 8, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #2 of 5
No answers, this either means no one knows or (and more likely) it's a very silly question.

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 5
A hifi dealer I once discussed this with told me that the disc spinning mechanism of the 340C is of lesser quality and more fault-prone than that used on the 540C and 640C. The main difference between the latter two is that the 640C has dual onboard DACs (which is obviously irrelevant when using it as a transport).

Jan 11, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by FinnishFlash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A hifi dealer I once discussed this with told me that the disc spinning mechanism of the 340C is of lesser quality and more fault-prone than that used on the 540C and 640C. The main difference between the latter two is that the 640C has dual onboard DACs (which is obviously irrelevant when using it as a transport).

I didn't think there would be. My understanding is that when using such players as a transport there should be no difference, as the only real effect on sound qaulity (given that it plays the disks) is the amount of jitter (I know i'm over simplifying things here though). I'll be getting a 540c sonnish and then will be comparing it to the 640c as a transport (though I don't believe there will be any audible difference).
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back